New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2015, 06:01 AM
Find More Posts by bobbysbrother
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined May 2013
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergall View Post
I just buy the 24" @ Sign Warehouse - much larger choice of colors, and its easy to cut in half.
Maybe an obvious question, but how did you cut it in half? Did you unroll a certain length and then cut it from the roll, then cut that separate piece exactly in half with some kind of table cutter that will accept 24" wide media?

Reason I ask is because, at least for the case of the Silhouette Cameo, the media you are cutting must be true and square in the machine or you risk having the pinch rollers walk off the edge on a long cut. That's why thus far I have had sign warehouse make the 12" cuts for me.

As for choice of colors, and at least in the case of oracal vinyl, I find they don't offer any more choice than other vendors. In fact, I'd argue not only does expressions vinyl carry the same complete oracal color line - for type 651 vinyl - but they also carry some specialty vinyls like fluorescent for example, which I have yet to find anywhere else. And all of this is ready to go at 12" width. The main down side with them is they are not the cheapest source fur vinyl, but nonetheless there are times when I find it advantageous to buy from them.

bb
bobbysbrother is online now Find More Posts by bobbysbrother
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2015, 01:00 PM
Find More Posts by coreman
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,841 Posts
Have you guys looked up sign shops in your area. That is how I found my current supplier (Supplies Unlimited) who is about an hour from me. They carry 60" rolls and will cut it to size and length on the spot. I've been very happy with the Oracal 651 I get there and it's nice to know I can pop over for any colors I don't have on hand. I was even able to get some 4"-6" roll ends cheap and use them for accents of colors I don't typically need.

As for transfer tape, there are two types I've tried. there is the one that looks like masking tape which works fine but I prefer the clear/translucent one that is like a frosted tape because it's easier for me to verify placement. I haven't used either wet
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:36 PM
Find More Posts by Nergall
United States, GA, Lilburn
Joined Aug 2009
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysbrother View Post
Maybe an obvious question, but how did you cut it in half? Did you unroll a certain length and then cut it from the roll, then cut that separate piece exactly in half with some kind of table cutter that will accept 24" wide media?

Reason I ask is because, at least for the case of the Silhouette Cameo, the media you are cutting must be true and square in the machine or you risk having the pinch rollers walk off the edge on a long cut. That's why thus far I have had sign warehouse make the 12" cuts for me.

As for choice of colors, and at least in the case of oracal vinyl, I find they don't offer any more choice than other vendors. In fact, I'd argue not only does expressions vinyl carry the same complete oracal color line - for type 651 vinyl - but they also carry some specialty vinyls like fluorescent for example, which I have yet to find anywhere else. And all of this is ready to go at 12" width. The main down side with them is they are not the cheapest source fur vinyl, but nonetheless there are times when I find it advantageous to buy from them.

bb
I use a hack saw! The most outer layer gets a little messed up at the edge, but the rest of it is fine and works just fine in my Silhouette. I think a bandsaw would be best, if you had one big enough.

You are probably right on competing vendors. I was only referring to the fact that Sign Warehouse has a very limited 12" supply.
Nergall is online now Find More Posts by Nergall
Old Nov 02, 2015, 12:28 AM
Find More Posts by fcox04
Joined Aug 2013
75 Posts
I ordered my Cameo V2 the other day and anxiously awaiting for it's arrival. I also order a lot of vinyl and tape from Sign warehouse. It's also about an hour drive from where I live.

I have a lot of planes that can use some trim that I just didn't want to pay for through my local sign shop.

Can't wait to get started and use all you guys tips.

Frank
fcox04 is offline Find More Posts by fcox04
Old Nov 02, 2015, 04:35 AM
Find More Posts by coreman
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergall View Post
I use a hack saw! The most outer layer gets a little messed up at the edge, but the rest of it is fine and works just fine in my Silhouette. I think a bandsaw would be best, if you had one big enough.

You are probably right on competing vendors. I was only referring to the fact that Sign Warehouse has a very limited 12" supply.
When cutting something like this, wrap a strip of masking tape or transfer tape around the cut line and that will take the brunt of the abuse because then the top layer of vinyl is no longer the top layer
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2015, 08:53 AM
Find More Posts by Nergall
United States, GA, Lilburn
Joined Aug 2009
2,225 Posts
It doesn't do enough to worry about. I'm rarely cutting right up to the edge anyway, and one can adjust the feed rollers in a little for the starting bit. But, thanks for the tip.
Nergall is online now Find More Posts by Nergall
Old Jan 21, 2016, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by babathehutt
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2013
345 Posts
I got a Cameo II for Christmas and a 48" Extreme Flight Edge. I used the Cameo to cut an entire scheme out of Ultracote. Here it is so far. It's almost done, just waiting on the motor so I can mount the cowl and the bull decals on the cowl. I was impressed with the performance of the machine, and with a new roll of Ultracote, cutting was easy and accurate. I used Gimp to edit and Inkscape to make vectorized images of each layer, and the stock Silhouette Studio software to measure and cut. I used a 13x24" piece of poster board from the Dollar Tree as a carrier. Blade depth was 1 and pressure was set to vinyl. Puppy tax at the end too
babathehutt is online now Find More Posts by babathehutt
Old Apr 25, 2016, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by T_om
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
2,767 Posts
is the Amazon Deal Of The Day cameo a good deal?

http://www.amazon.com/Silhouette-Cam.../dp/B00NAX7H78

Tom
T_om is online now Find More Posts by T_om
Old Apr 25, 2016, 06:31 PM
Find More Posts by Brner
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
1,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_om View Post
is the Amazon Deal Of The Day cameo a good deal?

http://www.amazon.com/Silhouette-Cam.../dp/B00NAX7H78

Tom
Tom,

That's a great deal. I doubt you'll find a better deal than that....I use my wife's (identical to that one) and it works great. ..

Don
Brner is online now Find More Posts by Brner
Old Apr 25, 2016, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Scale Aerobatic Pilot
Joined Jun 2011
3,725 Posts
Actually, I found this ~[urlwww.amazon.com/Silhouette-Cameo-Starter-Bundle/dp/B00NAX7H78[/url]
To be a better deal.. you get the full version of Silhouette Studio.
PropsnWings is online now Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:14 PM
Find More Posts by babathehutt
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2013
345 Posts
If it comes with the full version of Silhouette Studio, it's an awesome deal. Anyway, I love mine and I'm starting another project with it this week.
babathehutt is online now Find More Posts by babathehutt