New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2016, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by changosurf
Joined Aug 2011
1,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
Some of the caiprinha guys did the winglet mod because that plane came with 2 sets of winglets. You were supposed to use velcro and be able to swap them out. But the velcro made them really flimsy and it didn't work well. The nylon and screws works well and really not much extra weight.

I basically followed this. Scroll almost to the bottom.

When inserting the nylon, insert perpendicular to the tip edge.

http://birdman1goescaipirinha.blogsp...-post.html?m=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gionir View Post
I use screw on winglets mainly for transporting the wing during hikes:
http://www.rclab.info/2015/04/custom...ong-range.html

I just used common sense in placing the M3 nylon nuts in the wings, maybe 20 to 30 mm from the edges.
To be honest I cannot feel the shift of CG, but that maybe comes from the fact that I fly with a blunt section which changes everything anyway.

I am really happy with the outcome, and never had a problem with this configuration.
thanks guys, I ended up performing this mod with some short nylon studs and light metal M3 screws. Seems to have worked out great, and now I don't have to worry about screwing up on the winglet design since I can easily change them out

I just hope they hold up in rough landings and don't strip out the threaded nylon stand-off from the foam. I used goop to glue the stand-offs.
changosurf is offline Find More Posts by changosurf
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2016, 07:41 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,813 Posts
might be a dumb question, but can anyone help me get an idea of what the 'angle of attack' should be for 'level flight' on a popwing?

I'm trying to calibrate auto-level on my flight controller, and I need to figure out how many degrees of up-pitch I need in order to keep the wing flying level. I've got it mocked up, and it looks like it might be around 5-10 degrees, but I'm not sure...
Old Feb 02, 2016, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
4,722 Posts
All you can do is.... What looks good probably is.
It is trial and error and will usually fly quite OK anyway. Fly it and adjust it later when you see how it reacts.

Possibly 10 degrees, but depends on your downthrust angle as well.
What type of FC have you got that needs calibrating?
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Feb 02, 2016, 08:45 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
All you can do is.... What looks good probably is.
It is trial and error and will usually fly quite OK anyway. Fly it and adjust it later when you see how it reacts.

Possibly 10 degrees, but depends on your downthrust angle as well.
What type of FC have you got that needs calibrating?
naze32 FC running baseflight.
ok, I'll try 10deg and see how it goes. It *seems* to look about right
Old Feb 02, 2016, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by rocketscience
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by changosurf View Post
naze32 FC running baseflight.
ok, I'll try 10deg and see how it goes. It *seems* to look about right
You know how to trim this in between flights? If it's too much I'd recalibrate but if it's just a little.. land, disarm, throttle forward, then right stick to trim the direction you need. If u have a beeper you will hear confirmation. It takes about 4 beeps to even notice a change in the air. If.no beeper the light on the naze will flash.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Feb 02, 2016, 11:21 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
You know how to trim this in between flights? If it's too much I'd recalibrate but if it's just a little.. land, disarm, throttle forward, then right stick to trim the direction you need. If u have a beeper you will hear confirmation. It takes about 4 beeps to even notice a change in the air. If.no beeper the light on the naze will flash.
thanks, yeah, I know how to use the stick command to trim it Actually, I'd be using the ezgui app, but the concept is the same.

Basically, I'd like to try to get it close enough so that I don't have to mess with it too much at the field. I set it to approx 10 degrees via the baseflight configurator app. We'll see how it goes...
Old Feb 03, 2016, 12:40 AM
Find More Posts by rocketscience
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,835 Posts
Yeah I took a guess with my skipper xl and in self level it wanted to do a nose dive. So I had to recalibrate with a battery under the nose and it was much better. Easier to just land and recalibrate honestly.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Feb 08, 2016, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by powerstroke01
USA, CA, Ahwahnee
Joined Sep 2004
678 Posts
For my mini popwing....
What kinda glue can i use to repair a tear on the hinge for the aileron? Or tape maybe? And what about where the motor mount meets the foam? Hot glue?
powerstroke01 is offline Find More Posts by powerstroke01
Old Feb 08, 2016, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
4,722 Posts
Use Blenderm tape for your hinges and hot glue around your motor mount.
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Feb 08, 2016, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by powerstroke01
USA, CA, Ahwahnee
Joined Sep 2004
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
Use Blenderm tape for your hinges and hot glue around your motor mount.
Thanks!
powerstroke01 is offline Find More Posts by powerstroke01
Old Feb 12, 2016, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by VikingTattoos
Flippin Awesome Multirotors
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Nov 2012
650 Posts
Techone POPWING and MINIPOPWING

Just finished this for tomorrow's race.
VikingTattoos is online now Find More Posts by VikingTattoos
Old Feb 17, 2016, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by JohnVH
Qualified
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
4,313 Posts
Anyone flying the 900mm sport?
JohnVH is online now Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by Grandpa strap
The flying snake
United States, CO, Thornton
Joined Sep 2013
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH View Post
Anyone flying the 900mm sport?
Very few people are. It's a pos Compared to the original.
The chord is too shallow imo making the cg tough to achieve. The book cg if I recall correctly is too tail heavy. I think I had to move it back some.
The wood is so cheap on the motor mount ours broke IN FLIGHT. The battery door is a joke. And it's not as floaty or stable as the first. If you want a sport wing or a fast wing look at the tuff wing or go back with the original 900mm pw. That sport was awful.
Grandpa strap is offline Find More Posts by Grandpa strap
Old Feb 18, 2016, 01:58 PM
Find More Posts by JohnVH
Qualified
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
4,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa strap View Post
Very few people are. It's a pos Compared to the original.
The chord is too shallow imo making the cg tough to achieve. The book cg if I recall correctly is too tail heavy. I think I had to move it back some.
The wood is so cheap on the motor mount ours broke IN FLIGHT. The battery door is a joke. And it's not as floaty or stable as the first. If you want a sport wing or a fast wing look at the tuff wing or go back with the original 900mm pw. That sport was awful.
Well that's disappointing, wish I knew that before I bought one, a buddy bought one so I figured I would too, and another buddy bought one, I'm determined to make it go though. Since I have it already. And yes, we both found out the hard way the CG is wrong in the book, sigh

I guess if I get fed up with it I could always just buy the normal one and put this gear on it, right?
JohnVH is online now Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Feb 18, 2016, 02:28 PM
Find More Posts by hard line
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Joined May 2012
1,840 Posts
Don't worry about it. Some people like it fine. As mentioned, it's important to get the CG to the optimum distance and if the recommendation is a range, set it at the very front of the range. Closest to the nose. If only a single value, set it 1/4" closer to the nose than recommended until you get a feel for the plane. If the book is wrong, then you may have to find the correct location by experimentation. A nose heavy wing flies a bit cumbersome, but a tail heavy wing is sometimes uncontrollable. I have three popwings and none of them balanced up where I needed them without the addition of some nose ballast. I don't believe they're well designed planes in that regard. But you can fix it, and will probably be happy with the result.

For reassurance, check YouTube for popwing sport and you'll find some flying just fine.
hard line is online now Find More Posts by hard line
Last edited by hard line; Feb 18, 2016 at 02:39 PM.