Old Oct 22, 2015, 02:45 AM
Find More Posts by unleaded218
newcastle AUSTRALIA
Joined Nov 2010
162 Posts
hi the motor is the XM 5060 355kv unit with an 80amp ESC I have ordered two carbon 16x12
unleaded218 is offline Find More Posts by unleaded218
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2015, 03:35 AM
Find More Posts by scirocco
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unleaded218 View Post
hi the motor is the XM 5060 355kv unit with an 80amp ESC I have ordered two carbon 16x12
good move. As you will have likely read in here, it has pretty flexible landing gear. You might want to chuck an APC 16x12 on while you get to finesse your landing because it isn't that hard to get a prop strike on a firmish landing
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Last edited by scirocco; Oct 22, 2015 at 03:42 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:03 AM
newcastle AUSTRALIA
Joined Nov 2010
162 Posts
I already have carbon fiber U/C so prop strikes are not a problem
Old Oct 28, 2015, 02:38 AM
newcastle AUSTRALIA
Joined Nov 2010
162 Posts
wow what a differance the new prop made I can now reach max altitude that I need with power to spare , only used an extra 5% battery and motor and ESC at a comfortable warm temp
Old Oct 28, 2015, 05:04 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unleaded218 View Post
wow what a differance the new prop made I can now reach max altitude that I need with power to spare , only used an extra 5% battery and motor and ESC at a comfortable warm temp
Got a link to the prop you fitted?
Old Nov 03, 2015, 10:11 PM
newcastle AUSTRALIA
Joined Nov 2010
162 Posts
I actually got it from Hobby King part No 172000011-0 very suprised at both the quality and balance and for not much money they state 2 pieces per pack I only received one and after discusion with CS I put in a claim for the other
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:41 PM
Find More Posts by AlastairL
Noob making progress
Australia, NSW, Mt Colah
Joined Oct 2012
345 Posts
Back after a while not contributing---

After 250 flights since June, the Wind came to a sticky end:

A while back, I replaced a malfunctioning ESC with a 100amp YEP, which has seemed to be fine .

Having made it to the NSW Pattern Champs at Richmond in November, I was looking forward to competing regularly in 2016.

Working with a couple of guys at our club last month, I was experimenting with the F3A brake function on the YEP, with varied success. Several of us had mixed success in getting it up.

I had finally seemed to succeed, with all testing flights done over the field, and with excess height, so locked in the settings and went home.

Next morning at the field, took off, and went into Sportsman sequence.

As usual for me, Murphy turned up:

On the second of the outside loops, inverted, low level, and over the tree-line, motor refused to throttle up. A couple of re-set attempts had me REALLY low, and by the time I had rolled upright, I was too low to get back to field, and had to attempt a landing behind the tree line.

Needless to say, it was not fully successful. Damage was surprisingly little, but included engine mount, and wing tube attachment in fuse---- no chance of replicating the alignment.

I was lucky enough to pick up (probably) the last of current stock in Oz.

Build is nearly complete. Once again, the same power train, with the only change being a nove to pull-pull rudder.

With a bit of luck, I should maiden tomorrow.
AlastairL is offline Find More Posts by AlastairL
Old Feb 26, 2016, 02:21 AM
newcastle AUSTRALIA
Joined Nov 2010
162 Posts
hay guys i fpound another site for C/F landing gear its SDSHOBBYS I gota set that 8is for a 90 size glow model the 90Y and it is great it is very strong and fits in the mounting ares great , it is swepted back and I found that it was a littel bit too far for me so i turned it around "swepted foward" and it is great I had it sent express as I need it quickly arrived in four days and all up cost is about the same as the ones that others were getting from Europe they have lots of sizes check them out
ps just ordered the Mythos 50e in yellow and black
Old Feb 26, 2016, 04:24 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlastairL View Post
Back after a while not contributing---

After 250 flights since June, the Wind came to a sticky end:

A while back, I replaced a malfunctioning ESC with a 100amp YEP, which has seemed to be fine .

Having made it to the NSW Pattern Champs at Richmond in November, I was looking forward to competing regularly in 2016.

Working with a couple of guys at our club last month, I was experimenting with the F3A brake function on the YEP, with varied success. Several of us had mixed success in getting it up.

I had finally seemed to succeed, with all testing flights done over the field, and with excess height, so locked in the settings and went home.

Next morning at the field, took off, and went into Sportsman sequence.

As usual for me, Murphy turned up:

On the second of the outside loops, inverted, low level, and over the tree-line, motor refused to throttle up. A couple of re-set attempts had me REALLY low, and by the time I had rolled upright, I was too low to get back to field, and had to attempt a landing behind the tree line.

Needless to say, it was not fully successful. Damage was surprisingly little, but included engine mount, and wing tube attachment in fuse---- no chance of replicating the alignment.

I was lucky enough to pick up (probably) the last of current stock in Oz.

Build is nearly complete. Once again, the same power train, with the only change being a nove to pull-pull rudder.

With a bit of luck, I should maiden tomorrow.
How did it go?

I was wondering why you chose the Wind over the Mytho S 50E which appears to be the replacement. If I lost my Wind I'd be looking for a replacement pronto and if that was another Wind I'd be a happy camper, but I understood the Mytho has a few improvements
Old Feb 28, 2016, 12:36 AM
Find More Posts by AlastairL
Noob making progress
Australia, NSW, Mt Colah
Joined Oct 2012
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
How did it go?

I was wondering why you chose the Wind over the Mytho S 50E which appears to be the replacement. If I lost my Wind I'd be looking for a replacement pronto and if that was another Wind I'd be a happy camper, but I understood the Mytho has a few improvements
Hi Scirocco

Maiden went well. Had a bit of an issue with different specced 14 x 7 props, but now sorted.

Why the Wind? Well I had been very happy with my first one. Secondly, the Mytho is a couple of hundred grams heavier, and I wanted to re-use my Wind powertrain, so was a bit cautious.

Thirdly, when I came to put order to paper, there were no Mytho's in AU, and I actually bagged the last Wind available. Red and black, which was definitely not my first colour choice.

To date I have not seen either Mytho or Wind in stock anywhere.

By the way, I'm possibly going to be down your way in a couple of weeks to the Pattern comp at Canberra.

Regards

Alastair
AlastairL is offline Find More Posts by AlastairL
Old Apr 28, 2016, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by praewa
Joined Sep 2014
4 Posts
Can i use higher kv such as 1000kv with smaller prop,with about 1300w power?
Thanks for your help.
praewa is offline Find More Posts by praewa
Old Apr 29, 2016, 01:03 AM
Find More Posts by Finnspeed
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
1,101 Posts
1000 Kv would be too high for a 5S system since the prop would simply to be too tiny to work well in this type of plane.

You can vary the Kv number though in reasonable limits if you select the correct prop. 1300 W of input power is good for this model. It is what I get in my plane with O.S. 490 Kv motor, 5S and 16 x 12 prop.
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old Apr 29, 2016, 03:46 AM
Find More Posts by Watdazit
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
1,492 Posts
I would listen to people like Finnspeed and Scirocco on choice of power systems. I use an OS-5025-375kv on 6S and a 16 x 12 prop which was Scirocco"s recommendation and it works well. I have also tried Finnspeed setup on 5S and whilst it worked I didn't feel comfortable. It seemed to need a lot more throttle at low speed to get going. I am not saying Finnspeed is wrong with his recommendation. That setup suits Finnspeed's style of flying.

Using anything other than this sort of equipment is like putting a Ford 4 cylinder engine in a Ferrari. It will move the car but it will not get you laid.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Apr 30, 2016, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by praewa
Joined Sep 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnspeed View Post
1000 Kv would be too high for a 5S system since the prop would simply to be too tiny to work well in this type of plane.

You can vary the Kv number though in reasonable limits if you select the correct prop. 1300 W of input power is good for this model. It is what I get in my plane with O.S. 490 Kv motor, 5S and 16 x 12 prop.
Thanks for your help.For os 490kv , can i use my 6s 5000mah battery that i already have?
praewa is offline Find More Posts by praewa
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:06 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by praewa View Post
Thanks for your help.For os 490kv , can i use my 6s 5000mah battery that i already have?
That motor works well on 6S. For the Wind, APC-E 14x8.5 or 13x10 would be a good option.

My personal opinion though is that the OS 5025-375 with a 16x12 is a significantly better option - I just can't fault how it flys my Wind and it is close in spec to the Sebart recommended A50-16S.

Being able to use a 16" prop vs 13 or 14" with the lower Kv motor gives significantly more thrust for the same power consumed