New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by LifeisGood
Joined Apr 2006
1,895 Posts
Data
Blaster 2E

Hello all,
I saw Barnny K's Website carries Blaster 2E. I have never seen a DLG with motor before and just wondering if anyone here has one. If possible, I am wondering how E version performs in the thermal as compared to the B2 DLG version ?

Or some one can guide me to the right thread here within the forum if I am not in the wright place requesting for data. Thanks
LifeisGood is offline Find More Posts by LifeisGood
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:03 AM
Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,516 Posts
While I have never flown one, I can say that the B2E is not a DLG at all, and will definitely not thermal as well as the B2. It weighs 4 oz more (which is a lot) and isn't as clean (more drag). It is not designed for discuss launch. The vertical stab doesn't extend below the boom, and I don't think it even has the molded throwing blade on the wing tip. Looks like it would make a fun F5J type sailplane though.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by alan7037
New Jersey
Joined May 2004
311 Posts
A suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeisGood View Post
Hello all,
I saw Barnny K's Website carries Blaster 2E. I have never seen a DLG with motor before and just wondering if anyone here has one. If possible, I am wondering how E version performs in the thermal as compared to the B2 DLG version ?

Or some one can guide me to the right thread here within the forum if I am not in the wright place requesting for data. Thanks

LifeisGood

I designed and built one that is as responsive as my regular non-electric dlgs. And almost as light as my heavier dlgs.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post11286196

Alan
alan7037 is offline Find More Posts by alan7037
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:28 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,895 Posts
Thanks Alan for the link. Yes, I understand Blaster 2E is not a DLG , the reason I ask is there are so many electric planes out there and why the designer developed this B2E other than it has a B2 wing and thin fuse, x-tail, any other benefits than the conventional electric thermaling ships. I guess that is my basic question. Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
4,099 Posts
The Blaster2e thermals very well. The small weight increase (when fitted with a lightweight powertrain) doesn't affect it appreciably - the model's wing loading is still very low. The folded prop's drag is minimal - people do not generally complain that electric models don't thermal as well as their glider counterpart.

As it shares the DLG wing it does have a throwing peg, and can even be discus launched before powering up, see the first video on my site's Blaster 2e product page:
http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...=BLASTER-2E-IN

Neil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
While I have never flown one, I can say that the B2E is not a DLG at all, and will definitely not thermal as well as the B2. It weighs 4 oz more (which is a lot) and isn't as clean (more drag). It is not designed for discuss launch. The vertical stab doesn't extend below the boom, and I don't think it even has the molded throwing blade on the wing tip. Looks like it would make a fun F5J type sailplane though.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:12 PM
Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,516 Posts
The same wing at 15oz will thermal as well as it will at 11oz?
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:25 PM
HyperFlight Support
Joined Feb 2001
4,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
The same wing at 15oz will thermal as well as it will at 11oz?
With a lightweight powertrain they can weight about 13oz. They still thermal very well at this weight, I didn't say as well.

Neil.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 03:28 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,895 Posts
Hi Neil,
Thanks for the link. I'll look into that. I was thinking about buying the Blaster 3, but I than saw the B2E, although I saw only one VID clip of motorized Minima but was a just a very short clip. The next thing I saw was wow, BK carries B2E that's why I start this thread since the main goal for me is to fly in ligh condition over at soarable ridge and for inland thermaling when I go to camping. So, I said to myself why not ask about the DLG type of plane but with motor option since I can cruse around finding thermals and turn the motor off when I am in the core and turn the motor on to get out when the condition getting too strong. I am trying to evaluate the pro and con on the electric type of DLG ship before I jump in to buy it since I already have many other planes to play with just don't want to get into something that does not fit my needs. Thanks guys for the input, I need as much infor as I possibly can get before hand. Later, RS
Old Jan 27, 2011, 03:57 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,895 Posts
Hi Neil - I happen to have 2 Hacker B20-15L and 2 Hacker B20-18L brand new but without gear reduction. Both Hackers are using 4:1 reduction gear per your wensite. Any place in US I can get the gear reduction from for the B20s ? also is carbon folding props are needed for the B2E ? Lastly, what size of lipo packs for 2S and 3S , looks like I am heading the wright direction. Thanks
Last edited by LifeisGood; Jan 27, 2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 04:36 PM
HyperFlight Support
Joined Feb 2001
4,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeisGood View Post
I happen to have 2 Hacker B20-15L and 2 Hacker B20-18L brand new but without gear reduction. Both Hackers are using 4:1 reduction gear per your wensite. Any place in US I can get the gear reduction from for the B20s ? also is carbon folding props are needed for the B2E ? Lastly, what size of lipo packs for 2S and 3S , looks like I am heading the wright direction. Thanks
I don't know a US supplier, but we sell a suitable gearbox:
http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...box&code=MAX40
US postage is about $5

No you don't need a carbon prop. IMO it is best to use small high C rating lipo pack like this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11894
On a 2S pack a Hacker B20-15L geared 4:1 props between 10x6 and 11x7 should be a good starting point.

Neil.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 04:57 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,895 Posts
Ok, Neil - I'll PM you for further discussions later on. Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by carlsoti
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,392 Posts
The blaster wing carries extra weight very well.

I'f I were building a motor-glider on a DLG platform, I would look at a "really" lightweight motor, something like the "Blue Wonder" 24g motors or the Turnigy variants. A 1500kv BW on 2S will turn a 8x4 or so prop at under 10 amps. This means you can get away with a pretty lightweight battery, esc, etc, adding a minimal amunt of weight. Depending on the over-all set-up, you still may be near 1:1 power to weight. Even if you're only at .5:1 p/w, it'll have plenty to climb out.

I'm just guessing, but I think that thing would be a ROCKET with that Hacker package on it. Vertical climbs would be no problem spinning the 10" or bigger prop that Neil reccomended. The downside to the hacker package is the weight of the battery and ESC needed to support ~150W, I suspect Neil is in the ballpark for the AUW built out with the Hacker/GB combo.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:15 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,895 Posts
Year. I went to hyperflight.co.uk Website viewed through the VD clips, yes, the clips showed B2E moving along in the sky fast and another offsite clip showed B2E landing, a perfect landing.

I now have a 2nd thoughts about the motorized ship that resembles DLG ( B2E can be discus launched ) even though I have 4 NIP Hacker B20s sitting around doing nothing. I think the offsite b2e landing clip showed the e version is noticeable heavier than the true DLG version. I guess what I am looking for is a light weight GLD that can stay coring in a strong fast moving thermal not to get tossed around by but also can penetrate out and fly back to the base point without too much trouble silently. Also,the B2E thread just went dead in early 2010, I suppose there must be reasons. Now, I am just searching for the wright plane to purchase.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:26 PM
Find More Posts by AZ_Astro
DLG Fan
Tempe, AZ
Joined Nov 2002
1,966 Posts
I flew a 15 oz Blaster 2E and I regularly fly 11 oz Blaster 2s in contests. The E felt "heavy" in the air and I didn't think it thermaled nearly as well as the DLG version. But it still flew like a Blaster 2 (great!) and moved pretty quickly through the skies with the extra weight.

Personal preference: You can pretty much do it all with the DLG version!
AZ_Astro is offline Find More Posts by AZ_Astro
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:07 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,895 Posts
Thanks AZ for the info - DLG version can do all is what I am looking forward and Blaster 2 or 3 can blasting through the sky quickly too