New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:36 AM
tengarang is offline
Find More Posts by tengarang
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
4,452 Posts
If you are referring to this one

http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a251-f18-blue-arf.html

no. This is actually from a manufacturer called "Top RC". The one I posted from Motion RC / Daimond hobby is FMS, different supplier.
Parts are not compatible.
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2016, 07:35 AM
slumav505 is offline
Find More Posts by slumav505
Registered User
United States, MO, House Springs
Joined Jan 2015
74 Posts
looks like I'm faced with a choice. if this remold doesn't take I might need to start acquiring spare parts or a kit to build the FMS version and move over my electronics.

Next question, that motor you suggested, will a 60A ESC cover it?
slumav505 is offline Find More Posts by slumav505
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:09 PM
tengarang is offline
Find More Posts by tengarang
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
4,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumav505 View Post
looks like I'm faced with a choice. if this remold doesn't take I might need to start acquiring spare parts or a kit to build the FMS version and move over my electronics.

Next question, that motor you suggested, will a 60A ESC cover it?
all you will need is 50A on 4s, and it will be a rocket. The sound is close to silence with a balanced fan sounds like a real jet....

you will really only need 45A's but 50A is better.

Alot of power and low amp draw the perfect combination.
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Last edited by tengarang; Jan 21, 2016 at 03:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2016, 02:56 PM
dpowellmeii is offline
Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Registered User
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumav505 View Post
looks like I'm faced with a choice. if this remold doesn't take I might need to start acquiring spare parts or a kit to build the FMS version and move over my electronics.

Next question, that motor you suggested, will a 60A ESC cover it?



CS10 70mm. Best doppler we got on this thing was 105mph.



FMS/Airfield F-18C first flight (2 min 48 sec)
dpowellmeii is offline Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Last edited by dpowellmeii; Jan 21, 2016 at 04:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2016, 03:20 PM
tengarang is offline
Find More Posts by tengarang
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
4,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
all you will need is 50A on 4s, and it will be a rocket. The sound is close to silence with a balanced fan sounds like a real jet.... people are wowed by low high speed passes "where did you get that fan"?? LOL

you will really only need 45A's but 50A is better.

Alot of power and low amp draw the perfect combination.

Here is the Ebay fan we are using, pilots are from two of my close friends.

More Fast F 15s (4 min 26 sec)


The same performance on the F-18 can be expected with the ebay fan, direct drop in.
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Last edited by tengarang; Jan 21, 2016 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2016, 03:36 PM
Mizer67 is online now
Find More Posts by Mizer67
Registered User
Joined Mar 2014
105 Posts
You guys are pushing me over the edge.

I want to either get the FMS F-15 or F-18 and drop a better motor and fan in it on 4S.

Is either of the two more visible? Don't want to lose sight of one with the grey/blue colors on these.

Which is the better flier the F-15 or F-18? Looking like the F-15 from videos.
Mizer67 is online now Find More Posts by Mizer67
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2016, 03:43 PM
tengarang is offline
Find More Posts by tengarang
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
4,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizer67 View Post
You guys are pushing me over the edge.

I want to either get the FMS F-15 or F-18 and drop a better motor and fan in it on 4S.

Is either of the two more visible? Don't want to lose sight of one with the grey/blue colors on these.

Which is the better flier the F-15 or F-18? Looking like the F-15 from videos.
Both are excellent fliers, but the F-15 is less sensitive to CG and is much more stable platform. F-15 will do exactly as you instruct it. Point it here it goes here, point it there it does exactly that.

F-18 still excellent, if you cant have both. Get the F-15 no question. I have two F-15's, one skycamo, one desertcamo you can see the desert camo attached in action
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2016, 04:00 PM
Mizer67 is online now
Find More Posts by Mizer67
Registered User
Joined Mar 2014
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
Both are excellent fliers, but the F-15 is less sensitive to CG and is much more stable platform. F-15 will do exactly as you instruct it. Point it here it goes here, point it there it does exactly that.

F-18 still excellent, if you cant have both. Get the F-15 no question. I have two F-15's, one skycamo, one desertcamo you can see the desert camo attached in action
I'm partial to the desert camo for visibility, but believe it was discontinued.

Sounds like the F-15 is the way to go. Probably only will swing one for now, spent a lot on planes in Dec/Jan.
Mizer67 is online now Find More Posts by Mizer67
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2016, 04:05 PM
tengarang is offline
Find More Posts by tengarang
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
4,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizer67 View Post
I'm partial to the desert camo for visibility, but believe it was discontinued.

Sounds like the F-15 is the way to go. Probably only will swing one for now, spent a lot on planes in Dec/Jan.
Yep they discontinued it.... an unfortunate decision by FMS marketing. I too prefer the desert camo.

Good choice, you wont regret this decision guaranteed
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2016, 04:18 PM
tengarang is offline
Find More Posts by tengarang
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
4,452 Posts
"FMS 64mm F-18 EDF" - MotionRC//Diamond Hobby

Preface:

From back in the day when Nitro planes actually carried FMS brand models; Nitroplanes sold FMS brand under the "Airfield" badge which is exclusive to Nitroplanes.

Nitroplanes for some time now is no longer selling FMS new products, this is why we have MotionRC and Diamondhobby in the picture now taking over.

The consensus is there seems to be confusion among-st folks that think Airfield is still FMS (was true before but not anymore, since Nitroplanes lost its contract with FMS years ago).

So when people now a days are referring to the Airfield brand F-18 they are actually referring to the TOP_RC models.

The title in this thread is misleading, it should be titled "FMS F-18 64mm EDF EPO/EPS Version2/Version1"

I have started a new thread in continuation with the proper channeling of information when searched on google.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post33786519
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2016, 02:58 PM
Stiffler is offline
Find More Posts by Stiffler
Registered User
Joined Aug 2014
4 Posts
tengarang,

Thanks for posting the details of your fan upgrade and setup. Just ordered a pair from the ebay seller! These will go in my 'well used' white eps F-18, and a NIB grey one from 2010.

Haven't flown it in quite a while; but the awesome sound, and more affordable 4S batt's of your setup looks promising.

If they work as well as I'm hoping, I'll have to upgrade my old 64mm Blitz R/C A-10 too.

Did you have to balance the fan at all?

Will post results in a few weeks, happy landings!
Stiffler is offline Find More Posts by Stiffler
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2016, 04:20 PM
tengarang is offline
Find More Posts by tengarang
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
4,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
tengarang,

Thanks for posting the details of your fan upgrade and setup. Just ordered a pair from the ebay seller! These will go in my 'well used' white eps F-18, and a NIB grey one from 2010.

Haven't flown it in quite a while; but the awesome sound, and more affordable 4S batt's of your setup looks promising.

If they work as well as I'm hoping, I'll have to upgrade my old 64mm Blitz R/C A-10 too.

Did you have to balance the fan at all?

Will post results in a few weeks, happy landings!
Hello Stiffler,

No disappointments. This is by far the most efficient and powerful drop in cost savings setup that will do more for you than you could bargain for elsewhere. The motor itself is massive, and looks like a scorpion clone, why they have it for so cheap is beyond me.

I already bought 3 units 1/3 required balancing the other two did not require balancing. I do not know how to balance a fan a very good friend did it for me. I ended up getting all three balanced and perfected. I have a 4th one on order.

FYI some of my friends who bought this fan has reported no balancing was required, I guess I got unlucky as these fans on a sample scale of the lot do seem like the come balanced more frequently rather than unbalanced.

gooniac33 (RCG user, my dear friend) gave me permission to share videos for balancing below, and demonstrates the A-10 using these units.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...KclONM6sKKCSO0

Please check them out.

Your F-18 will perform.
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2016, 06:45 PM
Stiffler is offline
Find More Posts by Stiffler
Registered User
Joined Aug 2014
4 Posts
tengarang,

Awesome! Thanks for your thoughtful and timely response - answered all my questions.

I'll finish watching the EDF balancing tutorials later (much easier than messing with the old 5 blade EDO setup).

Thanks for posting the vid's, almost forgot how much fun the 64mm stuff is.

Take care, and happy landings.
Stiffler is offline Find More Posts by Stiffler
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2016, 08:39 PM
tengarang is offline
Find More Posts by tengarang
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
4,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
tengarang,

Awesome! Thanks for your thoughtful and timely response - answered all my questions.

I'll finish watching the EDF balancing tutorials later (much easier than messing with the old 5 blade EDO setup).

Thanks for posting the vid's, almost forgot how much fun the 64mm stuff is.

Take care, and happy landings.
Hello Stiffler,

Thank you for the kind words. I wish you happy landings as well and fun filled experience with these new wonder fans

Take care

with best regards

tengarang
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2016, 04:06 PM
tengarang is offline
Find More Posts by tengarang
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
4,452 Posts
Guys I have updated the page i created using the ebay fan on 4s mentioned above
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2587113
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Nitro Planes New Airfield 70MM F-16 EDF Jet FlyBoyTha1 Foamy EDFs 29 Sep 24, 2010 02:10 AM