Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:56 AM
Find More Posts by KetchupRed
Joined Jul 2016
2 Posts
Build Log
16ft Aerobatic Sailplane

A few of us started playing with aero-towing last year, and had allot of fun with a cheap sailplane that eventually proved not to be up to the task. Recently we had started talking about attempting this again, specifically for an airshow that the local club puts on for charity. I also wanted to be able to slope the glider because we slope more than we aero tow. Our slope spot is not exactly perfect, the lift is unreal, but there is no where to land. So the airplane had to be durable, cheap, and quick to build. Obviously spad was the only answer. 4 mil corro is all that's available locally so to be able to get the wing loading down we had to go big, really big. 16 foot worth of wing and 8 foot worth of length. I'll post more specific plans later on as I am designing as I go only working off a ruff drawing. I decided to do a laminate profile fuselage with 3 layers of 1/2 inch pink foam in between the corro sides, the spars are Home Depot yard stick ripped down to 1 inch and then spliced together to 92 inches per wing, just a little short of the tip to allow for the tip taper. I am going to use a 1 inch by 30 inch aluminum wing tube and socket to join the wings (just because I had it in the basement). I'll post more as I go.
KetchupRed is offline Find More Posts by KetchupRed
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2016, 05:33 PM
Find More Posts by georgy
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
860 Posts
Dang! Now thats a SPAD!! Its huge!
georgy is online now Find More Posts by georgy
Old Jul 22, 2016, 07:38 PM
Find More Posts by KetchupRed
Joined Jul 2016
2 Posts
Progress today, spars are glued up and glued to bottom surface of both wings, ailerons are glued to bottom surface of both wings, dug the wheel well out of the fuselage , cut and sandwiched the nose block, the rest of the time today was spent figuring a projected weight and a removable tail system.
KetchupRed is offline Find More Posts by KetchupRed
Old Yesterday, 12:34 AM
Find More Posts by pzanni
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2013
369 Posts
Awesome, good luck with it!
pzanni is offline Find More Posts by pzanni
Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM
Find More Posts by rockyabq
Envies his own avatar
Albuquerque, NM