Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Feb 28, 2016, 03:44 PM
Find More Posts by Wildvortex
United States, SC, Anderson
Joined Feb 2016
84 Posts
Discussion
Largest battery that will fit in a V977

I am new to RC aircraft so I figured I would jump in with both feet. I bought a V977 CO helicopter. I have not gotten it yet but want the most flight time. What is the largest battery that will fit. I think read somewhere that a turgeny 720mAh battery will fit if you remove the tabs. Will a 620 mAh Lipo fit?
Wildvortex is offline Find More Posts by Wildvortex
Last edited by Wildvortex; Feb 28, 2016 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Misspelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2016, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
15,045 Posts
Personally i'd stick with a stock battery (450mAh?) size or one close to it. As a rule the guys who design these helis come up with a battery size for good reasons, it's a mistake to think that a bigger battery is automatically better. Much larger batteries make the heli overweight and unbalanced and have a big impact on performance. The added weight also makes the heli more likely to damage itself in a crash (and you will crash).
The increase in flight time you get is less than you might expect because you have to use more power to lug the heavy battery into the air.

Better IMHO to just buy more of the smaller batteries then you get the best of both worlds, good performance AND plenty of flight time (the only take a few moments to swap).
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Mar 20, 2016, 07:55 AM
Joined Feb 2016
84 Posts
Thank you. I guess a bunch of batteries and a good charger are in order.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by denis747
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Nov 2015
598 Posts
A good charger, parallel charge them, and you'll have lots of flights.
denis747 is offline Find More Posts by denis747
Old Mar 20, 2016, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by Microbaba
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,699 Posts
Actually some brands like turnigy nano-tech are about the same weight, sometimes as batteries that are classed as lower.

On my V966 I am running a 260mah 35-70c nano-tech which weights slightly less than the 250mah 25c lipo that came with it when I bought it second-hand.

So if you can manage to find a good brand like Turnigy, you can use a larger battery. For example I could probably get a 300mah turnigy and it is only going to be maybe 1 or 2 grams heavier than the 250mah.

It's how determined you are to achieve more flight time. For me, I am only going to use my V966 for basic flying, and my friend is turning it brushless for me, so on a 2 cell I may well opt for an even larger battery if I can get away with it.

Sure, the more significant weight added, the less performance. It is a balance you have to keep in mind.

I think they do 520mah lipos on banggood for the V977 which are a direct fit. They are made for that model I think.
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
Old Mar 20, 2016, 04:13 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,699 Posts
here is the 520mah lipo banggood says i for the V977. (13 grams in weight)
http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V930-...-p-921545.html

and here is a 600mah turnigy nano-tech which may fit or may need a modification to fit and it only weighs 16 grams, so only about 3 grams more. I would say 3 grams for this model, is about as much "more" weight as you want, I would not go over 600mah, personally: (but of course that is 3 grams more than the 520, not 3 grams more than a stock battery, so if you could find out the weight of your stock battery, if it is only a 4 grams or less difference, you might get away with the 600 but it might be a bit more of a docile flight.)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turnigy-Na...EAAOSwAKxWV2ao
Old Mar 20, 2016, 05:37 PM
Joined Feb 2016
84 Posts
The 520 mAh Lipo came with my 977. I just ordered a turnigy 50W charger and am having a quad cable made for it. I have 4 520mAh batteries and might order 4 more. That should do me good for now. I just got my 977 yesterday I just have to keep it in the air. This is my first RC.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 06:35 AM
Find More Posts by denis747
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Nov 2015
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microbaba View Post
here is the 520mah lipo banggood says i for the V977. (13 grams in weight)
http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V930-...-p-921545.html

and here is a 600mah turnigy nano-tech which may fit or may need a modification to fit and it only weighs 16 grams, so only about 3 grams more. I would say 3 grams for this model, is about as much "more" weight as you want, I would not go over 600mah, personally: (but of course that is 3 grams more than the 520, not 3 grams more than a stock battery, so if you could find out the weight of your stock battery, if it is only a 4 grams or less difference, you might get away with the 600 but it might be a bit more of a docile flight.)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turnigy-Na...EAAOSwAKxWV2ao
Yes the Turnigy nano-tech 600 mah is a perfect fit. I have six of them. I also have five stock 450 mah and with the nano-techs the bird still flies extremely well, I can't feel any effects due to weight as the weight difference is almost negligible.
denis747 is offline Find More Posts by denis747
Old Mar 21, 2016, 09:48 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,699 Posts
That's good news Denis, I'm glad the nanos worked for you.

Wild vortex, that is a pretty good first RC as you have 6-axis mode which in my opinion is so stable it is close to a co-axial in ease. (a coaxial is something old people know about.) Lol
Old Mar 22, 2016, 07:20 AM
Joined Feb 2016
84 Posts
I got it for that fact. Due to row boat from China and us shipping via the Appalachian trail, I had plenty of sim time before it arrived. Started on the sim with a T-Rex 450 flybarless so in 6G mode I do quite well. Still having some trouble when I switch to 3D though.
Do you guys know if a Turnigy 9xr pro will fly the V977?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 08:36 AM
Joined Feb 2016
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denis747 View Post
Yes the Turnigy nano-tech 600 mah is a perfect fit. I have six of them. I also have five stock 450 mah and with the nano-techs the bird still flies extremely well, I can't feel any effects due to weight as the weight difference is almost negligible.
What is the flight time on a 600 nano?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:04 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildvortex View Post
I got it for that fact. Due to row boat from China and us shipping via the Appalachian trail, I had plenty of sim time before it arrived. Started on the sim with a T-Rex 450 flybarless so in 6G mode I do quite well. Still having some trouble when I switch to 3D though.
Yeah I hear what you're saying with the postage. I've been waiting 17 days for some servos and blades from the slow boat.

As for 3D mode, I still struggle myself and I do have quite a fair bit of experience, (at least flying lots of FPs and CPs, even though I have no experience of 3D flight)

The main difference is that there is basically no self level, so the input you give it on the sticks, you have to remember won't be corrected until you correct it on the sticks. It's best to be one step ahead in your mind, if you see what I mean. If I were you I would master the 6 axis first in real life.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 03:03 PM
Joined Feb 2016
84 Posts
Yah my biggest problem is over correction. I can do alright but when things start to go to pot they really go to pot.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 04:15 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,699 Posts
Yeah I also do that, I over-correct until it is like a pendulum. The heli then hits the ground, you really have to give small input and be ready to counter the input you have just given. The good news is the V966 and V977 are incredibly robust. Perhaps not unbreakable but with the fairly low head speed compared to a proper CP, this helps too. It also helps to have grass to crash into.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 06:13 PM
Joined Feb 2016
84 Posts
Yah, I have had a few bad ones. Currently I am awaiting the entire tail assembly. Lost tail fin and motor while flying in my garage. Had a bad ender when trying 3D mode. Are you flying with the WL toys transmitter?