Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by Yoyocafe
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Mar 2013
458 Posts
Build Log
J2M3 Raiden

Now that I've finished the Smith Miniplane and the P-47, my work bench seems empty. I have a few more kits that I've bought and asked the guys at the field which one I should build next. They responded with saying they would like to see the Raiden fly at the field .

I bought this kit from TDM Software.:

http://www.tdmsoftware.com/TDMmodels/TDMmodelsPP.php

It is an unusual looking plane, something different from the zero. The kit includes a lot of wood, all the sheeting for the wing and the fuselage. Almost all the parts have their names etched onto them and and line-up marking to make alignment easy.

Joe
Yoyocafe is offline Find More Posts by Yoyocafe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2014, 06:04 PM
Joined Mar 2013
458 Posts
More progress, albeit slowly... It's been really nice outside, calm winds and clear skies. Hard to make myself come in and build.
I've got both wings sheeted and the leading edge is on. It still needs to be shaped. I've got the end caps put together and drying. The washout jig worked perfectly, gave it enough support so the wing didn't warp while the top was glued on, but the ends lift up perfectly.
I'm impressed with this kit, so far it has gone together easily.

Joe
Old Jul 26, 2014, 05:51 AM
Find More Posts by Frank_K
Antwerp, Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
328 Posts
Looks good Joe!

Excellent choice of subject btw
Frank_K is online now Find More Posts by Frank_K
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by DougC
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Sep 2004
535 Posts
Neat looking bird. Surprised to see that it is sold as a Short Kit with all the included wood.

I'll be following along.

Doug
DougC is offline Find More Posts by DougC
Old Jul 27, 2014, 05:56 AM
Joined Mar 2013
458 Posts
Starting on the fuselage

Thanks for the comments! I saw a picture of this plane when I was doing a google search for unusual planes and really liked the way this bird looks. From what I read of it's history, the Raiden wasn't to popular with the Japanese pilots because it had a lot of mechanical problems and the hood was hard to see over. They were able to fix the problems later in the war, but by then there wasn't much war left.
The fuse is made by mounting all the formers on a crutch. I coated the sides of the crutch with wax ( I used a crayon from a box that I picked up at the local pharmacy for $1). I cut the stringers from a sheet of 3/32 stock I had on hand. I placed the crutch on two 1" x 6" blocks to give me a couple of square edged to work from.
Keeping the formers lined up and square while placing the stringers was a bit of a challenge, I could have use an extra arm!

The wing gets test-mounted at this stage. It gets sanded flat at the front and back - I cut off about 3/8 of an inch to get it to fit inside the formers. The wing mount is glued in at an angle and I drilled and tapped it out for a 6-32 screw (it's the smallest tap I own). I fiddled around with the incidence to get the wing mounted as straight as possible and marked a line on the former for where to glue the mount. The I glued a stick of balsa sanded at a matching angle to reinforce the mount and checked the incidence again. I wound up putting an extra piece of ply as a shim to get things just right and glued it all together.

The plane is going to be a lot larger than the 32" wing span suggests, you can see from the pictures the fuselage is going to be huge.

Joe
Last edited by Yoyocafe; Jul 27, 2014 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Added the wing detail.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 06:28 AM
Find More Posts by raipe
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
813 Posts
Nice! Really nice choice and the execution is looking really good too! Tagged on to see her come together.

raipe
raipe is online now Find More Posts by raipe
Old Jul 27, 2014, 08:02 PM
Joined Mar 2013
458 Posts
Mostly sheeted.

I've got the plane mostly sheeted, it really is going to be a lot larger than I originally thought. There are a couple of changes to the design I' contemplating. First is going to be a hatch for changing batteries. I don't want to remove the wing every flight if I don't have to . I'm thinking I can put a secondary partial former for formers 3 and 5, and cut former 4. Connect them all with stringers and sheeting. Hold it in place with a pin at the front and magnets in the rear. That would leave a large area of the top with weakened support, but I think if I cut the crutch and remount the piece between formers 2-5 it will hold it well enough. I can also use the crutch as the battery tray.

The other change I was thinking of making was to give this plane an active rudder. The plans have the tail as one solid piece, you have to fly it bank and yank. I don't know if the rudder will have enough authority to turn the plane, it looks kind of small from the pictures I have of the Raiden. It may not be worth the trouble, but it seems interesting.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:45 AM
Find More Posts by orectolobus
TerryM
United States, AR, Heber Springs
Joined Sep 2001
737 Posts
Joe,

The build is looking really good. Make sure you get the CG on the forward side of perfect and good brushless motor swinging
a large prop.
orectolobus is offline Find More Posts by orectolobus
Old Jul 29, 2014, 07:24 AM
Joined Mar 2013
458 Posts
Thanks Terry! The motor I plan on using is a NTM2826 - rated at 300 watts. With a 8x4 prop it should draw about 200 watts. I will use a watt meter on it before I launch it, I don't want to burn out a motor in the air! I've tried this setup on a hellcat that is a similar size and weight and it was almost too much power. It made it hard to control... I can always underprop it if I need to, I may start with a 7x5 and see how it flies first.

I have the hatch cut but I don't have any pictures yet. I'm thinking about how to make the rudder turn. I think I have enough room in the fuse that if I run a wire into it from the rudder, I can hide the turning mechanism. Otherwise I'm going to have wires sticking out of the top of the fuselage to connect to the rudder. That will work but it won't be the prettiest thing in the world.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 08:00 AM
Joined Mar 2013
458 Posts
Paint scheme

This is the paint scheme I want to use on this plane. 3rd Squadron, 352nd Naval air group. I like the lightning bolts on the side.

Joe
Old Aug 01, 2014, 07:56 PM
Joined Mar 2013
458 Posts
Making the battery hatch

I added an extra partial former next to f3 and f5. The sheeting is glued on very carefully so I don't glue the sheeting to the side stringers between f3 and f5, just the formers and the stringer on top.
Once the glue is set I cut the sheeting between the formers and the partial formers and cut f4 so I can separate the hatch from the fuselage. I used an xacto blade without the handle to cut the sheeting between formers. In the end, TADA - a hatch!
Old Aug 01, 2014, 08:10 PM
Joined Mar 2013
458 Posts
Almost got the cowl finished. It consists of 6 rings that get glued on the front. There are 2 guides that go from f2 to the firewall that hold the rings in place. I found that the rings are a little too thick, when they were all stacked up they went 1/8 in beyond the guides and I couldn't get the firewall to connect to the guides. I cut a new ring out of 1/16 balsa and replaced the final 1/4 in ring with it.

It's and awful lot of sanding to get the rings down to a cowl shaped piece!

Joe
Old Aug 03, 2014, 08:14 PM
Find More Posts by azmcarroll
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Dec 2007
233 Posts
Very nice Joe. Like the hatch and rudder.

Subscribed.

Michael
azmcarroll is offline Find More Posts by azmcarroll