SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2015, 09:57 AM
Joined Feb 2015
3 Posts
Discussion
Large Scale Huey Cobra

Thanks for reading post as I'm new to the website..first post. I've been flying r/c helicopters for a few years and have begun to love it..I started with a big lama coaxial, and now have two blade helicopters..(130 and 200). I recently made a purchase because I couldn't turn down the price. I bought a Huey Cobra that had been sitting on a hobby stores shelf doing nothing more than collecting dust. Large unit..60" with Webra .61 rear exhaust, with servos, and an incredible paint job. Turns out this unit was a demo model for Century and never flown..GMP mechanics that are very tight, engine never broken in, clutch brand new..everything just dusty. The helicopter is actually pictured on Century website..Army cobra with red/white paint scheme. Amazing how well the heli looks, and the fact it's never been flown. My question that brought me here is the heli is true scale, no flybar...but a follower is used with swashplate. I'm unfamiliar with this. It will need a tail gyro, but will the lack of flybar and a followe in its place make this heli too difficult to fly? I don't do any crazy 3D flying..just buzz it around.
tjk1812 is offline Find More Posts by tjk1812
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:12 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,539 Posts
Nice purchase. Yes, you have a flybarless setup but your typical gyro will not help you as a relatively new flyer to be able to keep the helicopter stable in flight. I would look at a gyro like the Spektrum AR7200BX which is the receiver and three axis gyro all rolled into one. If you have a Futaba system, then look at their latest 3 axis gyro (don't know the number offhand). You can also look at something like the Skookum SK720 as an alternative that can work with most transmitter/receiver combos.

An experienced pilot can fly a two blade helicopter without a stabilization system but when they finish flying, they are well and truly exhausted. I would have a local scale flyer check it out as it is really hard to do over the web but good pictures of the system can be helpful in the event something is really amiss. Get some pictures of it posted here so we can be jealous. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:26 AM
Joined Feb 2015
3 Posts
Thanks Don..Yeah I will get a photo posted. So even though my swashplate isn't a 120 setup, it has 4 ball links, so I'm guessing a 90 setup..a 3 axis gyro will still work. I'm guessing I need to program the gyros/receiver for this setup. I've heard about doing this type of 3-axis gyro setup..but truthfully I'm not too familiar with it. If a 'follower' is used in place of a flybar, what is a follower? Because this is GMP mechanics it's fairly old technology but it must have been able to fly with this setup. So are you saying it would fly with it's current setup but just be very unstable? Or just unstable in the wrong hands?
tjk1812 is offline Find More Posts by tjk1812
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:42 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,539 Posts
Yes, the 3 axis gyro will work with any servo setup. The Skookum has native support for a four servo head. The follower is used to set the phasing of the head and keeps the swash plate inline with the head as both rotate with the main shaft. Four servo head setups on scale helicopter installations are still very common and you will see it on most of the European scale chassis. The problem with a non-stabilized flybarless helicopter is its tendency to balloon when flying forward. The 3 axis gyro compensates for it on the fly. Phasing setup is very important and gyros that allow you to electronically adjust the setting can be of enormous help. I am recommending that you not try to fly the helicopter with a standard tail only gyro. Take care.

Don

PS: What radio system to you have?
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:15 AM
Joined Feb 2015
3 Posts
I was looking at the following:
Tx - Futaba 8JH
Rx -Futaba R2008SB
Gyro - Futaba CGY750

9254 Tail servo
9255 Collective/ Cyclic servo