New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:35 AM
Find More Posts by TheMadCADer
Always Building
United States
Joined Sep 2012
918 Posts
Slow stick power system

I have a left over 4ch tx, rx, 20a brushless esc, and 1000mah 3s 35c lipos, so I've decided to build a hobbyking slowstick. Can anyone recommend a good motor and prop combo for this setup?
TheMadCADer is online now Find More Posts by TheMadCADer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:54 AM
Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,507 Posts
This video will show you how to pick a recommended motor.

How To Pick Your Power System For Your Model Airplane (12 min 3 sec)

Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Dec 27, 2014, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,992 Posts
Why yes, I happen to be able to do that. I'll even give links for the components. This will be a 200W system using all Hobby King components that I have flown for two years with absolutely breathtaking results.

I mated a Turnigy 2217-20 motor, a 40A Super Brain data logging ESC, a 1350mAh 30C 3S1P Battery and an APC 11x4.7 E prop. With the data logging ESC I bought a USB linker for the computer. That let me check out the actual in-flight performance of the power system and program the ESC from my computer. If you're wanting to save money you could buy a Plush 30A as the system draws almost exactly 20A.

This system has a really touchy takeoff procedure. Hold the plane in your right hand by the wingtip, pointing straight up. Hit 2/3 throttle or more. Release. Watch the plane climb vertically out of sight. ROG takeoff roll at 3/4 throttle is less than a foot. With reasonable, not draconian, throttle management I get 15 minute flight times plus plenty of reserve.

Slow Stick Blast Off! (0 min 35 sec)
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Dec 27, 2014 at 12:58 PM.