HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 13, 2004, 01:37 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Fussa
Joined Jul 2003
238 Posts
Pushing the limits of FFF

Here is a new addition to my hangar. It's called the Insulator with an Arnold Schwarzenegger accent, or just Insulator. Hope that name hasn't been taken already. Here are some specs-

motor- 15 turn Delta config, 26 gauge, 26,000rpm static, 5.5 amps WOT
Esc- Phoenix-10
Radio gear- 2 ea. Cirrus 5.4 servos, GWS 4ch reciever
Wingspan- 19.5"
AUW- 4.76oz
top speed- yet to be determined...my untrained eye says "really fast!"
plans- unavailable, yet all that is needed to reproduce this plane is an imagination, a sharp blade and maybe a ruler.
Any other ?'s are welcome, thanks for looking. First pic is my three year old that insisited on modeling the plane.
blueman is offline Find More Posts by blueman
Last edited by blueman; Jun 13, 2004 at 01:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2004, 09:51 AM
what wing man??
Nashville Tennessee
Joined Jul 2003
1,742 Posts
the Insulator

Dude ,,,Blueman,,, that's an awsome plane,,looks real cool,,,,,,,,,cute model you got there too
hummingbird111 is offline Find More Posts by hummingbird111
Old Jun 13, 2004, 12:41 PM
Japan, Tokyo, Fussa
Joined Jul 2003
238 Posts
Thanks

Hummingbird111- glad you like the plane, thanks. I can believe that I made the blue model, but I can't believe I made the model holding the blue model, good thing she looks like her mom.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 01:07 PM
Foam Flyer
Stockbridge, Georgia, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
Whoops, should have been a PM.

Glenn
Depdog is offline Find More Posts by Depdog
Old Jun 13, 2004, 01:42 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Thats really sharp! I don't generally go for the jet styled models very much personally (just my preference) but this one for some reason does.
I like the cooling vents in the sides and top you have made.

The only change I would make different if it were me was to add more realistic side intakes that would blend in with the fuse somewhat like the F-14 Tomcat though not quite so pronounced.

If you made no changes at all with what you have it would be fine! This would keep it simpler,lighter and less draggy than what my mods would be so please don't take what I have said and think you have come up short in any way!

I await more news and further flight reports. Keep up the good work and what you have there is very clean and IMHO a plane that stands apart from the rest and holds its own.
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Jun 13, 2004, 02:05 PM
Japan, Tokyo, Fussa
Joined Jul 2003
238 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for your flattering comments, Willin. I'm glad I caught your eye. The vents came after the maiden flight(Getting better at the maidens, notice the uncrinkled nose! ) when I landed the plane and removed the hotter than usual battery. Added the vents by cutting a couple of slots and pulling the foam out and gluing it in place. I think your right, slightly larger vents that flow with the fuse a little more would look very cool. just might have to modify a little, Thanks for the input Willin. As for the flight report, It flies very well and very fast(I think) for a FFF concauction. It being so small and fast, it definitely won't fly itself, constant inputs. I hope to get some video of it today, weather looks promising! WooHoo!

Robb
Old Jun 13, 2004, 05:55 PM
clumsy thumbs
Lincoln, NE
Joined Dec 2003
1,015 Posts
looks good...way too fast for me, I'm guessing
shakysticks is offline Find More Posts by shakysticks
Old Jun 13, 2004, 08:59 PM
Arizona Rim Country
Joined Nov 2001
491 Posts
We likes it, Blueman !

I have a question for you, though.

In the third photo, where the underside is showing, what is that little thin "strip" ? Looks like its a couple of inches long or so.
pcaffeldt is offline Find More Posts by pcaffeldt
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:01 PM
Japan, Tokyo, Fussa
Joined Jul 2003
238 Posts
Thank the gods...

The God of Wind took the day off today! It's about time too, he's been working for about the last three months straight! I had a long hard day of flying today and it was awesome! The insulator has logged about an hour of flight and I like it more and more after each flight. This plane is where I get my "speed fix". Got used to the touchy controls. Got video too, I forgot how to get video onto Ezone? Anybody got tips?

pcaffeldt- that little strip on the bottom of the wing is a 1/16" strip of light ply to grab onto and give the plane a nice hard toss. It also protects the wing during landing.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:37 PM
what wing man??
Nashville Tennessee
Joined Jul 2003
1,742 Posts
No doubt about it,, it's an unusual plane & nicely done ,, can't wait to see the video
Old Jun 14, 2004, 01:35 AM
Just One More
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Feb 2004
416 Posts
Looks like it's going fast just sitting there. Everybody should have a co-pilot too.
Skyfish is offline Find More Posts by Skyfish
Old Jun 14, 2004, 01:35 AM
Just One More
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Feb 2004
416 Posts
Where in TN Hummingbird?
Skyfish is offline Find More Posts by Skyfish
Old Jun 14, 2004, 01:45 AM
what wing man??
Nashville Tennessee
Joined Jul 2003
1,742 Posts
where

,,music city USA ,,{nashville}
Old Jun 14, 2004, 04:43 AM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
Too Fast For ME!

Holy Cow! I can't believe how fast that thing goes. And it rolls so fast, it makes me dizzy. I'm guessing three or four complete 360 degree rolls per second. I'm not kidding, or stretching the truth. Unbelieveable. I would have STUFFED it a dozen times yesterday. Robb, you could put the video in the Gallery, and provide a link to it. Here are some in-flight pictures...

Gary
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
Old Jun 14, 2004, 07:22 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Fussa
Joined Jul 2003
238 Posts
Thanks for the pics Gary

Let's see if this works-

Video link-

http://rcgroups.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8486

Just a small chunk for now, I'll piece the rest together after work.
Closed Thread