Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:12 AM
heli/plane/old stuff addict.
United States, MA, Winchendon
Joined Apr 2013
39 Posts
Help!
Hi all...anyone here know anything about the Schluters superior?

well hi all...first post here so hi from a newbie to this forum...now for my question does anyone know how to get throttle and throttle hold on the Schluters superior? i've been having a bit of a tough time with it...yes i know it's a real oldy but i love it!
old stuff man is offline Find More Posts by old stuff man
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:14 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,469 Posts
Since your question has nothing to do with the helicopter being a Schlüter, or a Superior, but everything with the make and model of your transmitter....

And unfortunately, you provide no info about the latter.

I am really puzzled what kind of answer you expect?

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Apr 29, 2013, 03:39 PM
Joined Apr 2013
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
Since your question has nothing to do with the helicopter being a Schlüter, or a Superior, but everything with the make and model of your transmitter....

And unfortunately, you provide no info about the latter.

I am really puzzled what kind of answer you expect?

Brgds, Bert
DX6i...with the fancy swash plate i'm kinda confused how to do it (use to CCPM). right now i'm just using a y harness going to the motor throttle servo and pitch servo. if any more clarification is needed and i will try my best to get whats needed
Old Apr 29, 2013, 07:45 PM
Joined Apr 2013
39 Posts
oh yes if anyone has had this model i would love to here how they liked it...and whether it should be upgraded, flown as is, or be a shelf queen...thanks in advance!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:39 AM
Helicopter Pilot
Junction City, KS
Joined Sep 2004
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old stuff man View Post
oh yes if anyone has had this model i would love to here how they liked it...and whether it should be upgraded, flown as is, or be a shelf queen...thanks in advance!
Do you have ANY flight experience?

If the answer is no, then I suggest Shelf Queen. Have you looked at parts availability? That is a helicopter that has been out of production for quite some time. A modern helicopter may be a better choice.

Rafael
Rafael23cc is offline Find More Posts by Rafael23cc
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:14 PM
Joined Apr 2013
39 Posts
yes...i own a t-rex 500 that i fly a lot...but just got this bird. i found a place that sells parts for this helicopter...USED of course, i saw one guy who upgraded the head to a t-rex 600's head...looked good. i was given this helicopter my an old friend whos retiring from the hobby, just wanted to know if it was worth trying to fly or if it was best left alone. someone recommended me get it running good and then take it to a helioldie contest.
Old May 07, 2013, 12:12 PM
Joined Nov 2005
12 Posts
From what I've read in your post do away with the Y connector and run the pitch servo on channel 5. If you run a Futaba 401 plug the signal wire into channel 6 and assign it to the gear channel. The DX 6 is limited as to what you can do but it will work. Set the swash mix to single servo 90 degrees and you should be good to go. Set your pitch to 4 degrees at half throttle and go from there. You should have - 2 or -3 degrees at low throttle. This should give you a head speed of about 1600 at hover with stock blades.

I have several Superiors and they all fly great stock with no mods at all. I wouldn't expect any 3D flying but they are great sport flyers. Don't set the gain too high on the gyro and take it easy and it will be just fine. Find a copy of the manual online and use it for a guideline.
Badgerfarm is offline Find More Posts by Badgerfarm
Old May 07, 2013, 03:28 PM
Joined Apr 2013
39 Posts
yes i got it a few days ago, thanks for replying!
Old May 28, 2013, 01:39 PM
Veteran RC Pilot!
USA, GA, Holly Springs
Joined Feb 2007
106 Posts
I had many Schluters in my day!

I have been flying since 1980 with a Schluter SX81. No gyro, standard 5 channel Kraft AM radio with all mechanical mixing. I think all heli pilots should start like this as they would learn what good meticulous setup is !!!! Seriously, learning to fly back then with no one to help (I knew only one person within driving distance that flew helicopters and he was not willing to help) was the ultimate challenge. If it was not for Walt Schoonard I would have given up. I went on to a Heli-Star, 3 Superiors (one Pod & Boom, one with the Agusta 109 Fuselage and one fitted to a Heim Bell222 done in PanAm carrier guise!) and a Champion. The Champion was the best overall but for scale like flying the Superior was King. If you are a seasoned pilot then take it to fun flys and show it off. Let all the youngin's see how we did it in the day! But as parts are few and far between well lets just say it should not be a daily flyer! Now thing to watch, the tail drive. Make sure you oil the nylon guides b4 every flight, and while you are at it oil the pitch control rod that passes through the tail drive shaft. Grounding the control rod should not be required if you are flying on 2.4Ghz but is necessary on 72Mhz! Inspect the bends at the ends of the tail drive wire on a regular basis. The motor mounts, make sure they are straight even and tight. If not they will crack. Lube the Swash ball and the channel in the main shaft before every session. Tri-Flow is a great lube for this bird and resists attracting dust.
Inspect the Damper Block in the head for cracks every session.
It has been about 20 years since I have flown these birds, If I remember anything else I will pass it along. You can PM me for my e-mail address if you like. I still have the drawings digitally converted on my server if you need. Let me know
Doug S

Quote:
Originally Posted by old stuff man View Post
mundo330 is offline Find More Posts by mundo330
Old May 28, 2013, 07:24 PM
Joined Apr 2013
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundo330 View Post
I have been flying since 1980 with a Schluter SX81. No gyro, standard 5 channel Kraft AM radio with all mechanical mixing. I think all heli pilots should start like this as they would learn what good meticulous setup is !!!! Seriously, learning to fly back then with no one to help (I knew only one person within driving distance that flew helicopters and he was not willing to help) was the ultimate challenge. If it was not for Walt Schoonard I would have given up. I went on to a Heli-Star, 3 Superiors (one Pod & Boom, one with the Agusta 109 Fuselage and one fitted to a Heim Bell222 done in PanAm carrier guise!) and a Champion. The Champion was the best overall but for scale like flying the Superior was King. If you are a seasoned pilot then take it to fun flys and show it off. Let all the youngin's see how we did it in the day! But as parts are few and far between well lets just say it should not be a daily flyer! Now thing to watch, the tail drive. Make sure you oil the nylon guides b4 every flight, and while you are at it oil the pitch control rod that passes through the tail drive shaft. Grounding the control rod should not be required if you are flying on 2.4Ghz but is necessary on 72Mhz! Inspect the bends at the ends of the tail drive wire on a regular basis. The motor mounts, make sure they are straight even and tight. If not they will crack. Lube the Swash ball and the channel in the main shaft before every session. Tri-Flow is a great lube for this bird and resists attracting dust.
Inspect the Damper Block in the head for cracks every session.
It has been about 20 years since I have flown these birds, If I remember anything else I will pass it along. You can PM me for my e-mail address if you like. I still have the drawings digitally converted on my server if you need. Let me know
Doug S
thanks so much! I have it now at 2.4Ghz; I need to get a starter and a glow plug ignitor. Then is to get it flying, right now i've been spending most of my hobby funds on a t-rex 500 that wants to go FBL really bad. thanks again for giving the info!
Old Aug 02, 2013, 05:28 PM
Joined Aug 2013
2 Posts
Where did you find Superior manual,need written part with part I.D. Have exploded view. Just acquired one part built part kit. Was lucky to find,build,and fly the Heli Baby and Mini Boy. hope to find and build all the helis I crashed when I started.
Art,
old heli boy is offline Find More Posts by old heli boy