HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2014, 04:18 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyracer View Post
meant to ask you... what was the engine and airframe doing when the crank twisted? was it an abrupt unloading of the prop?
Nothing in particular. It had started a slight "rattle" sound a few weeks previously. I went through the airplane and tightened everything. It wasn't much.

After the first sequence on the second flight of the practice day in Bakersfield I heard a little more definite "rattle". I landed immediately and went all through the plane again looking for something loose. I didn't find anything.

I took off again and on the turnaround maneuver to come into the box I could hear the "clank of death". I landed immediately. Now it was idling rough and took extra trim in the throttle to keep it running.

It didn't come on all at once. It went from a slight "rattle" to a "clank" just doing the half cuban turnaround maneuver.
Dean Bird is offline Find More Posts by Dean Bird
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2014, 05:07 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
interesting... Jim McCall toasted his DA120 last week... the symptoms and sounds for the failed DA120 very similar to what you're describing... on a turnaround pass the engine was rattling louder and then BANG! she was done.... I think the crank went but we'll see what DA says next week.

Jacques
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Old May 10, 2014, 11:38 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Bird View Post
I got my 200 back yesterday.

Thanks DA!! They turned it around in 9 days including the shipping both directions.
I just wanted to mention that I was able to remove and reinstall the lower half of the cowl with the baffles still attached as long as I had the air scoop removed. That made it a simple task to remove and reinstall the cowl.

Name: IZ1.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 169.9 KB
Description:

Name: IZ2.jpg
Views: 6
Size: 175.6 KB
Description:

Name: IZ3.jpg
Views: 6
Size: 164.0 KB
Description:
Last edited by Dean Bird; May 10, 2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 07:48 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
My DA 200 didn't have the current crankshaft and it twisted on Friday while I was in Bakersfield practicing for the contest this weekend.

I was really looking forward to flying with a bunch of the NorCal guys that I hadn't flown with since the Bakersfield IMAC back in 2005. I went out to the field on Saturday morning to say "Hello" to everyone, then drove back home yesterday.
My DA 200 was repaired and I reinstalled it a few weeks ago. I had 5 practice flights and headed up to the Fresno IMAC contest last weekend so I could fly with the NorCal guys. I drove up on Friday and arrived at 4:00 PM. Their runway is probably a runway 11 and 29, so the sun isn't really too bad in the evening. I got in 3 practice flights at their field on Friday evening.

We had four pilots in the Advanced class. Just like the Yuma contest in April, I was leading by the value of one half of ONE maneuver after the Known rounds on Saturday. Again, it would all rest on the Unknown on Sunday morning. I think all 4 pilots got through the Unknown with no zeroes. Great stuff, guys!!

I ended up winning the Unknown round because the plane flies and snaps so true. There were six snaps in the Unknown and I hit them all.

Name: 2014-06 Fresno IMAC.JPG
Views: 4
Size: 161.7 KB
Description:

It was great to meet a bunch of guys I had never flown with before. I'm glad I made the trip.
Last edited by Dean Bird; Jun 11, 2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 07:41 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
My DA 200 was repaired and I reinstalled it a few weeks ago. I had 5 practice flights and headed up to the Fresno IMAC contest last weekend so I could fly with the NorCal guys.

It was great to meet a bunch of guys I had never flown with before. I'm glad I made the trip.
I met another pilot, David White, and his wife Jeannie (sp?). We got a couple pictures of our planes before his next flight. David ended up 2nd place in a 7 pilot Intermediate class. He only finished behind the youngster Matt Morrell. Very smooth flying!!

Name: CAM00109.jpg
Size: 955.4 KB
Description: Name: CAM00111.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 1,010.8 KB
Description: Name: CAM00110.jpg
Size: 931.3 KB
Description:
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:01 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
When my little extra grows up it's gonna be a ComfARF!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 06:24 PM
Joined Oct 2011
236 Posts
They really are a great value. I hate having to maintain covering on an airplane this large, well any airplane for that matter. They are much more repairable should you have an accident then what most guys realize. They are built dead accurate, I know of no other ARF that I can say that about. Maybe 3W but their airplanes paintwork over Untracote starts looking poorly rather quick. Their honeycomb construction is not as durable and they come out weighing the same. I have owned 3 CARF airplanes and have not had to adjust wing/tail incidences on any of them. Once you have one for a few years and it has some bumps and bruises simply do a little body work and spray some new life on it. Basically a new airplane again as the composite construction just does not wear out. Mine was tossed into a dumpster by a friend of a friend. My friend just happen to catch it in time and showed up at my door and asked if I was willing to give him 300.00 for it so the original owner could at least get his shipping charges on his new airplane covered. I handed him cash on the spot. It's a bit of a "FrankenExtra", the gear is off an Aeroworks kit and is now mounted externally. The wheel pants are Carden and I added some gear cuffs that I have molds for. The only mods I made that "might" affect flight performance was to trim off 3/8" from the rudder and elevator TE. This leaves about. 1/4" thick blunt TE that theoretically will help the model track and get rid of the rudder wag that some guys were experiencing with the old 3M.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:32 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
The reworked airframe looks awesome!