Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 06, 2014, 12:52 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,469 Posts
Discussion
Landings and Runways

Post-Holiday Greetings to All! (I've been away from the Internet since Xmas eve).

Ok, so I've been landing planes almost as long as I've been flying them. I fly over grass, so its been mostly hand-launch/belly-landings, but as far as technique goes - throttle management, flaring, ect.- all's good. Being out at the lake with some time on my hands over the holidays, I decided to make a runway. I used my truck to establish the base, so it ended up being 10ft wide, and 150ft long. I took this forgranted as fine, as I intended to fly Micro edfs from it. After pains-takingly-hand-grooming it to a useful level and smoothness, I was good to go!
I grabbed my Eflite Mig I5. I decided to hand launch, and debut the runway on the landing. It was at that point I realized just how different a runway landing is from an open field belly landing. A good, on-the-spot, belly landing is one thing, landing with a determined ideal approach and roll out vector is quite another. I found the 10ft width to be challenging. I had wondered about the 150ft length, whether it was overkill. Turned out in my case to be a good thing. The roll-out only took maybe 12-15ft on the snow, but where that 12ft happened depended on where touch-down occurred, and that could vary greatly with approach corrections. Moreover, Take-offs reqd quite a run, maybe 30ft or more? It was challenging to keep striaght and avoid the edges (piled snow) on the run and just after lift off, so that 10ft width was a factor again too.
As a side note, The Mig did fine on the snowpack with its LG, the GP F-86, not so well. Luckily, I had a spare set of Mig gear, so the front wheel swapped on to the 86s front strut, and the rear wheels and struts went right on( I actually flipped the slot-plates around to give a wider stance to the gear.), worked fine afterwards (still miss the steerable wheel though).
Just thought I'd share, and hope to see a bit of feedback on the runway dimentions being used by some of the other flyers out there.
airfoil'd is offline Find More Posts by airfoil'd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2014, 12:57 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
543 Posts
Hey Man,

My buddies and I fly off a cricket pitch runway at our local park. It's way more than enough for my umx yak-54. It felt small when I first got into flying with my micro t-28, but that's no longer the case. A friend of mine even flies his huge Carbon Z Cub (seems like a 5-6ft wingspan) off of it as it takes a ridiculously short rollout with full flaps, though he normally just sets down in the grass when done. As for my MiG, I've known that ever since I started flying my GP Sabre, that short well-judged landing are a whole new ballgame with EDFs. I really enjoy flying it with landing gear from the local running track, but I know that while I could easily takeoff from the cricket pitch runway, my landing and rollout would at some point involve grass, and MiG landing gear and grass aren't a winning combo. Maybe one of these weekends I'll try to nail a cricket pitch landing in the MiG, but it will be more of a circus trick than anything else. It's not so much the width of the runway, it's just judging the glide rate as the MiG floats forever and I usually end up overshooting.
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Jan 07, 2014, 04:44 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,469 Posts
So thats 10ft wide, 66ft long ? (wiki'ed).
Glad to hear that the Mig typically takes a little more judgement to accurately land than a prop micro, I can hope to nail those landings with less "uglies" along the way....

...course my runway will probably be well snowed over by the time I get back to it, but now that I've started landings, I'll have to find some somewhere local too...
airfoil'd is offline Find More Posts by airfoil'd
Old Jan 08, 2014, 06:00 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
543 Posts
Good question, it's definitely not 10 feet wide, I'd be surprised if it's much over 5', as the e-flite Carbon Z Cub's wings are about as wide as it is. As for length I'd say 66' isn't too far off. Here's my buddy Ed with the Cub:

http://youtu.be/Cm5_mKw9iKc?t=6m55s

Now you've got me wanting to try a landing with the MiG, I'll probably spend the whole flight flying circuits until I get one right.
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato