HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2014, 09:41 AM
Joined Mar 2011
581 Posts
Anyone with a stock P-40 try the new UMX Corsair prop? Just wondering what it would do for flight characteristics?
Barrett_G is online now Find More Posts by Barrett_G
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2014, 12:37 PM
Joined Apr 2013
550 Posts
Good question Barret.

I have extra Corsair props coming. Should be here tomorrow. I ordered the the day HH sent me an email that the Corsair was in the mail.
The P-40 is my favorite UMX. I was think of that last night cause the P-40 could use a little more power. With out spending $ 100.00 on upgrades!

jack
pjdog350 is offline Find More Posts by pjdog350
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GoPro videos of my UMX WarBirds
Old Jul 01, 2014, 02:10 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
660 Posts
Corsair prop will work fine on the P-40. Will draw a slight amount more current, but should help improve the power a bit.

Seth
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 01, 2014, 06:14 PM
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdog350 View Post
Good question Barret.

I have extra Corsair props coming. Should be here tomorrow. I ordered the the day HH sent me an email that the Corsair was in the mail.
The P-40 is my favorite UMX. I was think of that last night cause the P-40 could use a little more power. With out spending $ 100.00 on upgrades!

jack
Hi Jack,

I have three of these on the way for my Warhawk and Spit (and a back-up).

I'm not sure if they'll draw more current, but they're sure to be a lot more efficient than the stock 'canoe paddles' that come fitted to the P-40.
Plus they'll look more scale, as the P-40 was never fitted with paddle blade props in the first place.

Cheers!
Rocket
RocketRobin is offline Find More Posts by RocketRobin
Last edited by RocketRobin; Jul 01, 2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 01, 2014, 08:16 PM
Joined Apr 2013
550 Posts
excellent point Rocket!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2014, 03:38 AM
Australia
Joined Dec 2004
43 Posts
When these make it Downunder I'm in, how hard is it
to get the big spinner off the P40 without wrecking it?
Peter Phillipps is offline Find More Posts by Peter Phillipps
Old Jul 02, 2014, 05:26 PM
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Phillipps View Post
When these make it Downunder I'm in, how hard is it
to get the big spinner off the P40 without wrecking it?
If you're careful you can just wiggle it off. Also they're inexpensive and your LHS should carry them.
To replace it you can use a little EPO foam glue, or even carpenter's glue if you let it dry overnight.

Cheers!
Rocket
Old Jul 03, 2014, 02:02 PM
Joined Apr 2013
550 Posts
I tried to fly my P-40 yesterday. The poor thing would not even do a roll. Ailerons are very slow. I think I'm going to have to remove the wing and look inside. There must be something not right. Flying straight she looks great. Seems to have the right amount of lead in the nose. Cause the elevator works as it should. Speed is good. But the aileron response is very bad. Also she is always wanting to pull right?

So it's very apparent that I've got some trim problems.

That's todays project. I also bought a Go-Pro Hero-3. I'm really tired of messing with these cheap thirty dollar cameras what never measure up to what you expect. I tried to get a Spitfire flight this morning and did a six minute video of my chin? Yesterday it was another cheapie and got six minutes of sky. No Plane??
My Cameraman (Sharon) always sleeps late so it was either a new good camera with the correct attachments or she was going to have to start getting out of the sack at 6:30 AM. Worked - She bought me a new Go-pro hero-3 with head strap and chip. Charging now and reading the manual.

jack
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2014, 03:12 PM
Flying Object Crash Tester
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Jun 2013
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdog350 View Post
I tried to fly my P-40 yesterday. The poor thing would not even do a roll. Ailerons are very slow. I think I'm going to have to remove the wing and look inside. There must be something not right. Flying straight she looks great. Seems to have the right amount of lead in the nose. Cause the elevator works as it should. Speed is good. But the aileron response is very bad. Also she is always wanting to pull right?

So it's very apparent that I've got some trim problems.
-snip-
jack
Mine rolls much better to the right and likes the rudder added in. Very smooth and scale like then.
kitetricks is online now Find More Posts by kitetricks
Old Jul 04, 2014, 02:39 AM
Joined Apr 2013
550 Posts
I've got 35 in the mix with aileron & rudder. That's also what I have in all the other UM PZ planes in my inventory! Works great on them but the P-40's just not right. Maybe today I can find some time after all my 'honey do's' to get the P-40 fixed.

jack
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2014, 12:44 PM
Joined Apr 2013
550 Posts
I removed the wing from the P-40 this morning. First thing I noticed was the ailerons seem to look like they are not lined up with the trailing edge of the wing. It's almost like flaps up side down. Adjusting where the servo rod connects to the bell crank would not solve this problem. The pivot point where the bell crank attaches to the upright needs to be pulled back. I didn't want to unplug the aileron from the receiver cause that looked like allot of trouble. So I fought the problem with the fuselage hanging into the wing via the aileron servo wires.

I used a pare of pliers and pull the upright that the bell crank sit on back. really putting some power into the pull. After a few pulls the aileron trailing edge seemed to line up much better. I'm hopping that this solve the roll problem with this plane.

As I've said before - The P-40 is my favorite plane. I would like to be real comfortable flying it. If this work out I think I'll get another P-40 just to always have a back up plane in my inventory.

Now the aileron trailing edge lines up with the trailing edge of the wing. Should improve the roll rate. Me thinks!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pjdog350; Jul 04, 2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2014, 02:33 PM
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
New Corsair 3 Blade Prop for P-40

I finally got a handful of the Eflite 112mm x 90mm three blade props and tested one out on my Warhawk this morning. This prop is the finest kind for this bird:

- It has an even better scale look than the stock prop and it fits the stock spinner.
- It provides excellent acceleration that is nearly the same as the two blade prop.
- Top speed is close to that of the 4 blade prop, but without the excessive P-factor that is apparent with the 4 blade.

My P-40 is running the Blade nCPX BL motor and Eflite 250mAh lipos. At WFO throttle for the entire flight, solid 7 minutes flight times are even better than with the 2 blade and 4 blade props.

Whether you're a finesse pilot, or a yank and bank man, this is an excellent prop that provides solid performance throughout the flight envelope.

Note: I did pull a turn after a high speed fly by that ripped the battery right off my plane. The result was an out of control floating crash with no damage, but a reminder of the G-forces that this plane can produce.

Cheers!
Rocket
Last edited by RocketRobin; Jul 07, 2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: grammar