Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:20 AM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,156 Posts
Yippee!
FS DG-100 local flight

Guys I just wanted to share this, I've been out of soaring for quite a while, flying RC sailplanes mostly. I decided to get back into it and I bought this DG-100. I got 1.5 hrs today, great lift. I could have stayed up all afternoon but I was so excited and focused I didnt eat lunch. I launched at 2:30 and by 4 I was getting sick from not eating. Oh well, better luck next time. anyway here's what I filmed before the SD card filled up.

DG-100 Flight from CCSC field (14 min 26 sec)
jzanutto is online now Find More Posts by jzanutto
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:59 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,674 Posts
Thank you for posting.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:48 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,784 Posts
I've always wanted to try soaring. If it's any of my business, what is the cost of a tow? You can tell me to go pound sand if you want

I'm so jealous of you right now

Ken

The piece of yarn for a slip indicator has to be the best piece of engineering ever.
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:12 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,156 Posts
Ken its no big deal. I started RC gliders when I was a kid, and in high school I got a really rare opportunity to ground crew for a guy who was competing in soaring competitions. It was a lot of time on the road and as payment he payed for my flying lessons. I have flown power, and quit soaring just because there was no good club to fly with.

Now I can because of the local glider club. I always rented but the rental ships are just cessna 150s with no engine basically. They glide like a brick. This DG-100 was 16K. It came with the trailer as well, and a bunch of rigging tools, and a nice thin parachute.

A tow is 25 dollars up to 2000 feet. in this flight I got off at 1800.

what a lot of guys dont realize is if they just saved the money they spent on beer and cigarettes they could take flying lessons

yes the yaw string is really simple to use. In really rough air it can dance all over the place and you have to be careful that you arent "chasing" the string. You can induce a lot of unneccesary rudder pedal inputs doing that
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:33 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,784 Posts
I earned my pilots license back in 1995. Only flew a couple of times since that as I ran out of money and "life" got in the way of that and RC.

I'm back to RC now but don't see full scale anytime soon..... unless I win the lottery I played the lottery once and burned a dollar bill once. I had more fun burning the dollar bill

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:29 AM
Charleston, SC
Joined Nov 2007
465 Posts
Jzanutto, nice ship! The bug must be going around. Now that my daughter is out of HS, I have been really missing FS. Yesterday I booked an hour of dual in a Duo-Discus and a ride for my daughter. Last time I sat in a sailplane was 2001.

Ken, give FS a try. Not only is is a lot of fun, it will give you a a new perspective on RC soaring. Cross Country Soaring is in Lonsdale, Mn., near Rockwell, Ia. They are one of the few US operations that do winch launches as well as aerotows. A full scale winch launch is the e-ticket ride! Plus, it's usually cheaper than an aerotow.
AMBeck is offline Find More Posts by AMBeck
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:03 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,156 Posts
in my opinion, owning is much more rewarding than renting. I am looking into getting a winch for our club. we need it to free up the tow plane.

we can launch the glass ships from the winch, and use the towplane for students who need the 3k or 4k tows

if you didnt know, wingsandwheels.com is the place to go for soaring stuff including planes
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:42 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,104 Posts
[QUOTE=jzanutto;22336543]in my opinion, owning is much more rewarding than renting.

I'd love to own a FS sailplane, but a good pilot friend & A&P once told me " if it flys, floats, or fu(!$, it's cheaper to rent than own." He also said that the 2 happiest days of a pilot are when he buys and sells his A/C.
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:01 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBeck View Post
J
Ken, give FS a try. Not only is is a lot of fun, it will give you a a new perspective on RC soaring. Cross Country Soaring is in Lonsdale, Mn., near Rockwell, Ia. They are one of the few US operations that do winch launches as well as aerotows. A full scale winch launch is the e-ticket ride! Plus, it's usually cheaper than an aerotow.
I'll check it out. thanks!!

[QUOTE=SHVentus;22336844]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzanutto View Post
in my opinion, owning is much more rewarding than renting.

I'd love to own a FS sailplane, but a good pilot friend & A&P once told me " if it flys, floats, or fu(!$, it's cheaper to rent than own." He also said that the 2 happiest days of a pilot are when he buys and sells his A/C.
Sounds just like a boat owner

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:08 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,438 Posts
SHVentus- They may be the happiest days but having your own sailplane available on 'THE DAY' is priceless
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:19 PM
Charleston, SC
Joined Nov 2007
465 Posts
One of the happiest days of my life was the day I bought my Ka6, but the day I did two silver XC flights, back to back, was way better. Neither selling my HP-14 nor Ka6 were happy days. I'll have another FS sailplane again some day.
AMBeck is offline Find More Posts by AMBeck
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:34 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,104 Posts
Selling my Oskosh winning RV-4 was not a happy day either. I miss her.
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:18 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
834 Posts
After I got my ticket I immediately started looking into a low cost easy to maintain sailplane and I found a SGS 1-26. I paid $6500 with trailer and flew the heck out of it, over 600 hours. I know based on the rental fees of a single seater that 600+ hrs would have cost me over $20K. Getting into FS soaring isn't really that expensive IMO, it's no more expensive than say a decent fishing boat with gear. Obviously the higher performance sailplanes are more expensive but my Libelle cost me about $16K fully loaded with trailer, O-2, radio, glide computer system and a comfortable parachute, a great bargain for decent performance (37/1). I had an HP-11 also some years ago that I bought for less than $8K from a friend but it was a monstrosity to rig and the trailer was in bad shape although the performance was good and you really get spoiled by those 90 degree flaps.
Libelle201B is offline Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:33 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,438 Posts
201b- I am also a big fan of 90 degree flaps having previously owned a Pik 20b for over a decade. Great view over the nose too.......
Mind you the view from the DG cockpit is pretty nice, and I liked the video above.

Gordon
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:50 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,156 Posts
one of the things that sold me on the DG is that its a 1 man rigger.

aside from real estate, airplanes are one of the few pieces of personal property that hold or increase in value