Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:38 PM
My dog ate my airplane
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
Jaynen,

Just FYI, most, if not all, I can't be sure, RTF (Ready To Fly) 3 channel airplanes that use rudder and elevator control surfaces have them on the same stick, and in the U.S. that is typically the right stick with the throttle control on the left, which is also known as Mode 2. Therefore, your best bet to prepare for your "wing" with elevon control which will also have both elevator and aileron on the right stick is to plug your rudder servo on your Albatross or Pelican or whatever it is you're building into the aileron channel on your reciever then you will have X, Y and Z direction control on the right stick just like the wing will have when you get there. There are some who insist that the rudder goes on the throttle stick even if you're only running 3 channels, but since you plan to move to a wing next, you will be better served to use the aileron channel for the rudder for this build.
sredlin is offline Find More Posts by sredlin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:09 PM
Willmar, Minnesota, United States
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
whoa... lets not confuse terms:
Elevons: have nothing to do with which stick does what.
Elevons are (physical) Elevators that also act as (physical) Ailerons.

(photo courtesy of Rcvehicles.about.com)
Jim Buzzeo is offline Find More Posts by Jim Buzzeo
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:47 PM
My dog ate my airplane
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Buzzeo View Post
whoa... lets not confuse terms:
Elevons: have nothing to do with which stick does what.
Elevons are (physical) Elevators that also act as (physical) Ailerons.

(photo courtesy of Rcvehicles.about.com)
My explanation was not meant to confuse, but rather educate a newby. I agree the control surface of a flying wing or delta airplane is known as an elevon, which is essentially an elevator that is also programmed to function as ailerons. And I am not aware of anyone who sets up elevons for RC aircraft on separate transmitter sticks, which was essentially the point I was trying to make to Jaynen here. So when he sets up his RET trainer aircraft, he should put the rudder and the elevator on the same stick, which is the right stick in Mode 2, so that transitioning to an Assassin or whatever wing he moves to next will be relatively easy for him. Hopefully that is clear to Jaynen and/or other newbies who read this?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:15 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
I don't have a wing, I have an albatross which only has rudder and elevator controls. Since my 9 channel turnigy radio has 9 inputs and the channels just say 1-9 I was trying to figure out which spots each thing hooks too (or I guess its configurable probably?)

What I was saying is that after the Albatross I want my next aircraft to be a wing which will have elevons (and likely both be on the same stick IE the radio will mix inputs on those two elevons based on the inputs)
Jaynen is offline Find More Posts by Jaynen
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:22 PM
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
you're absolutely correct, sredlin, you have my apologies.
I completely missed that the OP's question regarding setting up the Albatross (rudder, elevator, throttle) also included a question regarding his NEXT airplane, a flying wing /assassin which of course will include Elevons.

I completely agree for the rudder /elevator /throttle airplane, simply plug the rudder servo into the aileron channel in the receiver so you'll have rudder and elevator control both on the right hand stick.

apologies if I confused the matter :-)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:32 PM
My dog ate my airplane
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
Jaynen,

Well the unlabeled Turnigy receiver presents a whole different problem, I am not real familiar with those radios, so you may need to look at the manual or something to see what each number on the receiver input is on the transmitter. It may be a matter of trial and error, but essentially what you want is the rudder and elevator on the right hand stick and the throttle on the left if you're using a Mode 2 radio, ie. the non spring-loaded throttle stick on the left stick. There may be some standard numbering system whereby #1 on the receiver is throttle, and #2 is rudder, #3 is..., but I am not familiar with that if there is, most receivers like the Spektrum ones I use have things specifically labeled, rudder, elevator, throttle, etc.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:34 PM
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X614892X54.pdf
in the case of the albatross: (again, assuming you want Mode2 which is standard in the US)
plug the rudder servo into channel 1 on the receiver,
plug the ESC plug into channel 3 on the receiver.
plug the elevator servo into channel 2 on the receiver.

you'll end up with the rudder and elevator controls on the right stick, and only the throttle on the left stick.

- Channel 1: Aileron
- Channel 2: Elevator
- Channel 3: Throttle
- Channel 4: Rudder
- Channel 5: Train returning (Gear).
- Channel 6: Shutters (Flaps).
- Channel 7: Auxiliary 1 and fins 2 (for differential).
- Channel 8: Auxiliary 2.
- Channel 9: Battery.

hope that helps!
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:59 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynen View Post
When I do hook up the electronics what channels do I plug stuff into?

If I want throttle on left stick, and the rudder/elevator on right stick? Or should I get used to rudder on left even though I don't have ailerons?

I plan to likely go to a wing which I guess has elevaons? next
The Albatross will bank in a turn. Plug the rudder into the aileron channel. That way when and if you transition into a 4 channel aircraft you only have learn rudder to fly. Channel 3 is where the battery lead from the ESC goes. I also use the Turnigy 9X on the Albatross, a Storm Chaser, Grim Reaper and a Bixler (rudder on left stick). The right stick control is the way to go.
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Last edited by 1fullbird; Feb 04, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:00 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
986 Posts
double post
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:19 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
Cool thanks guys. Now I just need some time (darn 12hr days)

1fullbird did you go pod mount or normal nose mount? I was going to do pod but am now thinking to just keep it basic at first
Jaynen is offline Find More Posts by Jaynen
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:37 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynen View Post
Cool thanks guys. Now I just need some time (darn 12hr days)

1fullbird did you go pod mount or normal nose mount? I was going to do pod but am now thinking to just keep it basic at first
I went basic then converted to a pod. I had to adjust the CG with flattened fishing weights to get the correct. If I had to do it all over again I would just do the pod mount. first. When I built my second Storm Chaser I did a pod mount. Remember when doing the initial CG its' the wing that gets moved around.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:24 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
304 Posts
Ailerons on a straight wing Albatross

I'm building a straight wing for my Albatross (CTH cut the foam). Any hard-earned advice you want to share? My thought, as far as it goes, is to cut the ailerons out of the wing (probably full length), one layer of laminate, then the normal extreme tape hinge. Do I need the laminate for a thin aileron? Will the Extreme tape stick well enough to the unlaminated trailing edge of the wing? If anybody has already done this, I'd love to see the pictures. I'm thinking of Hitec HS65HB servos which I happen to have on hand. Any comments?
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:33 AM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,825 Posts
You could just laminate the aileron, and just use a piece of tape and/or laminate for the hinge.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:48 AM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,058 Posts
I have a flat wing Albatross. If I did it again, I would put a little dihedral in it.
Ryan
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:59 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Insane RC View Post
I have a flat wing Albatross. If I did it again, I would put a little dihedral in it.
Ryan
I'm definitely going to put some dihedral in. Did you have ailerons?
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp