Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:48 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrestud View Post
I am going with the 100A lite with a separate 10A bec. This seemed to be the general consensus many pages back.

I received my Motorfly 4315-714kv yesterday and I have to say I am quite impressed. This thing is a monster =)
Good choice I have that setup and it rocks!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Finally! Durafly Junior Review
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:30 AM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
265 Posts
I also am running the same setup and the power is crazy! However, I am not running an external bec though. I'm running Hitec 5245mg's and the esc is cool to the touch after an aggressive 6min flight so I can't be stressing it at all. I was even running a xoar 15x8 gas prop while waiting for the electric one to come in.
PlaneCraz3d is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:10 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
Yeah no need for an external bec. The castle ice internal bec is good.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:20 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddux99 View Post
I also am running the same setup and the power is crazy! However, I am not running an external bec though. I'm running Hitec 5245mg's and the esc is cool to the touch after an aggressive 6min flight so I can't be stressing it at all. I was even running a xoar 15x8 gas prop while waiting for the electric one to come in.
Indeed you don't need an external BEC. I just got one to be on the safe side (also it only adds about 12g of weight)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:12 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
265 Posts
Yes I agree it doesn't hurt anything at all to use it, and like you said the weight penalty is minimal (read almost nonexistant)
PlaneCraz3d is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:53 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,504 Posts
Analog vs digital servos

Well, I maidened my 59 today and ran seven packs through her! This plane is silky smooth, laser accurate, and ultra responsive.

I'm running HS 225MG servos now, but I have some HS 5245MG servos.The plane performs well as it is.

My question is what is it like on the HS 5245 MG servos? I have the rods for the ailerons and the elevator in the next to the last hole on the Dubro control arms.

What do you guys say? Should I upgrade to digital servos?
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,504 Posts
Six Amp Internal BEC suitable to power four digital servos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Indeed you don't need an external BEC. I just got one to be on the safe side (also it only adds about 12g of weight)
I'm running a Castle ESC right now. The Castle website shows that it puts out five Amps to the servos.

I recently received an email from Heads Up RC wherein they advertised their new ESCs that put out six Amps to the servos. The ESCs are available in 80 Amp and 100 Amp sizes. I talked to a Head's Up RC technician and he assured me that their new ESC with internal BEC puts out a full six Amps to the servos.

Has anyone tried a Heads Up RC ESC with internal BEC that puts out six Amps to the servos? Are there other ESCs with internal BECs that put out six Amps to the servos?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:36 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Well, I maidened my 59 today and ran seven packs through her! This plane is silky smooth, laser accurate, and ultra responsive.

I'm running HS 225MG servos now, but I have some HS 5245MG servos.The plane performs well as it is.

My question is what is it like on the HS 5245 MG servos? I have the rods for the ailerons and the elevator in the next to the last hole on the Dubro control arms.

What do you guys say? Should I upgrade to digital servos?
Great to hear! As you say, it is silky smooth to fly

I haven't used the 225's myself but I recall reading a few people not liking them. My guess is the 5245's will feel sharper and dish out more torque. However, I also remember reading the 225's and 5245's have a flaw in the case design. Although I believe it is rectifiable however someone else here will have to give more information on that. If you can afford, get the 7245's I didn't like them at first due to the jitter they get but I can honestly say it hasn't effected flight performance at all for me. Compared the 5245's the 7245's feel even sharper and torquier, especially when running them at 7.4V
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:37 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,842 Posts
Quote:
I'm running a Castle ESC right now. The Castle website shows that it puts out five Amps to the servos.

I recently received an email from Heads Up RC wherein they advertised their new ESCs that put out six Amps to the servos. The ESCs are available in 80 Amp and 100 Amp sizes. I talked to a Head's Up RC technician and he assured me that their new ESC with internal BEC puts out a full six Amps to the servos.

Has anyone tried a Heads Up RC ESC with internal BEC that puts out six Amps to the servos? Are there other ESCs with internal BECs that put out six Amps to the servos?
How many power leads coming from the ESC/BEC to your receiver??? A standard servo lead is only good for three amps.... So...if only one lead, it doesn't make any difference how many amps a BEC puts out, it isn't going to get to the receiver...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
How many power leads coming from the ESC/BEC to your receiver??? A standard servo lead is only good for three amps.... So...if only one lead, it doesn't make any difference how many amps a BEC puts out, it isn't going to get to the receiver...

SteveT
Good points and thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:54 PM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
Quote:

SteveT
Steve, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you get the full 5 or 6A through the std. servo lead at the risk of burning it up and shorting it out, or is the size of the servo wire resistance too high to allow the current to flow? I know a lot of folks using cellpro 4's at the full 4A to charge their A123 Rx batteries and I've not heard of any issues. DG
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:15 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory.da View Post
Steve, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you get the full 5 or 6A through the std. servo lead at the risk of burning it up and shorting it out, or is the size of the servo wire resistance too high to allow the current to flow? I know a lot of folks using cellpro 4's at the full 4A to charge their A123 Rx batteries and I've not heard of any issues. DG
Doesn't matter what size wire, the plug itself is only good for three amps. That's why receivers like the JR "Powersafe" receivers have dual large power leads using plugs other than servo type connectors....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,504 Posts
Powersafe receivers

Quote:
Doesn't matter what size wire, the plug itself is only good for three amps. That's why receivers like the JR "Powersafe" receivers have dual large power leads using plugs other than servo type connectors....

SteveT
+1 for the Powersafe receivers!

For me, it simplified the setup of my 50cc electric.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:31 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,842 Posts
Quote:
+1 for the Powersafe receivers!

For me, it simplified the setup of my 50cc electric.
Yup... it's what I have in my 89" Slick....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,504 Posts
51, 59, and 70/71 Slicks

Quote:
Yup... it's what I have in my 89" Slick....

SteveT
From looking at your well stocked hangar, I believe you have most, if not all 3DHS planes 50cc size and below.

Please give your impressions of how the 59 performs compared to the 51 and 71.