HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:20 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
No Gravity, Im referencing someone who on his worst day has much more knowledge than you on your best day. He spent a lifetime working with these combustable chemicals and looks at the process from the safest position possible.

Theres a saying that, " Only a fool doesnt learn lessons from history" If you or anyone else decides to turn a blind eye to intelligence or someones references from a professional, thats your call. Im posting for the other folks who do care enough about safety and choose NOT to learn every lesson in life the hard way.

PS, I just got back from church and said a prayer that you would see the light and be more careful in this hobby.
I'll let you know when I hear something back....
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitykills View Post
whoa... Bombs... Fireballs...
Have you guys actually ever seen a burning lipo anywhere else than on youtube?

Before your imagination goes completely wild, you should know that document safes are quite commonly used in germany. They are air tight.

Is there any evidence that supports your "bomb" theories? And please, don't bother me with "pop!" or "fffump!". It won't do. It needs to be "ka-boom!", metal fragments flying, actual danger for a nearby person besides getting a heart attack.

Btw, my brother could tell you a story about an exploding cat food can ("exploding" in a sense that the stuff ended up sticking to the ceiling, and don't ask about the smell).
I'm still waiting for a wave of general hysteria to hit the pet forums, safe cat food storage, pressure relief valves etc

+1 lol.
man1024 is offline Find More Posts by man1024
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Oct 2011
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut View Post
If I put all my lipos in one fireproof container, would a potential lipo fire from one lipo spread to the others as well? Thanks!
you need separate container for each LIPO. Actually there is a formula to calculate how many containers do you need based on "S", "C" and "Mah" factors. The formula:

N (container count) = S (sq) * Mah * (C + S) / 3,700
man1024 is offline Find More Posts by man1024
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:25 PM View Post
hidaven
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while hidaven edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roballoba View Post
I recently got to see first hand what can happen if you are not careful about charging your lipos.

A friend got back from doing his laundry to find the fire department had been to his home. He was lucky - no one was hurt, his cat was outside, and he was able to save his new mega motors!

Please be careful and take precautions with your battery charging. Use a battery bunker.

There are numerous battery "bunkers" available....

some folks use metal Army ammo boxes, www.aeromicro.com has a ceramic pot with a lid and holes for the gases to escape, there is something called liposack @ www.liposack.com , www.unitedhobbies.com has a knockoff one as well.

invest in a good charger that knows what it is charging - take all the guesswork out of it. It can be a simple mistake to forget to change your settings from a 2100 pack to charge a 1300 pack.

I use the cellpro charger from www.fmadirect.com I am sure there are others that do similar functions.

Charge your batteries away from flammable items, and keep them separate from your other batteries!

Make sure your smoke alarms are working properly.

I think this is a case where we cannot be too cautious. I don't ever want to see another photo like this one.

good luck and happy flying.

Robert
It clearly says to never leave them unattended.... It's morons like these that are going to ruin this hobby when the gov. starts banning these batteries.
IwillFlySoon is offline Find More Posts by IwillFlySoon
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:09 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwillFlySoon View Post
It clearly says to never leave them unattended.... It's morons like these that are going to ruin this hobby when the gov. starts banning these batteries.
The gov won't ban these batteries unless many people are killed by them. Vehicles kill way more people than Lipo's, and they are not banned yet. Death is what talks. Untill that happens there won't be any ban, I assure you. And even if they did ban them, someone would develop a whole new better battery. You don't have to worry about your hobby being ruined.
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:55 AM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
I believe this qualifies as an explosion.

Lipoexplosion in einer Munitionskiste (2 min 1 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by man1024 View Post
+1 lol.
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:43 AM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumblety-peg View Post
I believe this qualifies as an explosion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuH01...layer_embedded
Yep,,,thats a good pop
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:17 AM
Victoria B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
Could you make that any more fake.
robbthepilot is offline Find More Posts by robbthepilot
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:26 AM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
Ehhhh??? Why do you say that? Is there something in particular that you feel makes it appear fake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbthepilot View Post
Could you make that any more fake.
Thanks
Mum
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:46 AM View Post
hidaven
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while hidaven edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:00 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumblety-peg View Post
Ehhhh??? Why do you say that? Is there something in particular that you feel makes it appear fake?

Thanks
Mum
I see nothing, looks legit to me. Claims of being fake need to backed up.
BD
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Jan 13, 2012, 02:32 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,463 Posts
>> I believe this qualifies as an explosion.

>> Yep,,,thats a good pop

I'd call it "fffump" but that's a question of terminology
Not an explosion, just a box blowing its lid, as advertised in my earlier post. We've seen cat food cans that were less well-behaved...

Given the choice, I'd prefer that the LiPo is inside that box when it blows and I'm around.

BTW the video is fake in a sense that it involves extreme abuse by overcharging (electric heating) when we're talking about LiPo storage.
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Old Jan 13, 2012, 05:15 PM
No ! Your other left !
United States, ME, Sanford
Joined Jun 2006
312 Posts
I've smoked quite a few lipos in the 4900 mah range on purpose after they were damaged for one reason or other. My usual method is to drive a 16 d nail through the pack then stand back and wait. In that scenario there is no explosion only the venting with flame.
With the unvented ammo box and an un punctured lipo that is being made to swell until it bursts it is easy to see that the fumes are going to ignite and cause that explosion.
Use a box with vents and baffles I guess and don't leave it near flamables.
aramsdell is offline Find More Posts by aramsdell
Last edited by aramsdell; Jan 13, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:15 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Thats a 4s2500, try it with a 6s5000 and then tell me how comfortable you are standing next to it......lol

The point has been made that these lipos do not fare well in sealed containers dispite what some posters are arguing. Be smart and drill some 1/4 vent holes int he lid for God sakes.

Also, while Gravity (amazingly) is correct in that this battery was abused, there are quite a few postings of batteries igniting well after the flight has ended and were NOT abused. Lipos get banged around in this hobby unless you grease ALL of your landings. I just had a lipo shipped that had a loose connection to the internal pos. tab. Sent it back for a replacement.

Think, really THINK about where these batteries are coming from and whos doing the soldering. You really want to trust your home and potentially life to a 1.00 an hour worker?

Be safe, store safe to contain the potential fire. Risk of smoke is a problem but much harder to solve. A smoke detector hooked up to a relay that drives an exaust fan is about all that you can do.

Some store in a refrig. which is great for longevity but fire and smoke would still be an issue. Any electricians out there that can diagram a smoke detector turning an exaust fan on???
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven