HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:28 AM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2013
274 Posts
Discussion
2nd 4ch Plane - E-Flite Hawker Hurricane

I've had a good amount of practice with an Apprentice, so I know ailerons. Took-off and landed all on my own. No trainer. Usually in about 5-10mph winds. I have loads of simulator experience.

Just wondering if an E-Flight HH would be a good 2nd plane for me? Or should a go with a smaller Parkzone? I would really like to keep it a warbird if possible.

All advice is welcome!
casualsunday is offline Find More Posts by casualsunday
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:36 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,481 Posts
Not likely the best next step. I would go the T-28 - a wonderful plane. Then on to the Hurricane it is a lot faster than the Apprentice.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:56 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Not likely the best next step. I would go the T-28 - a wonderful plane. Then on to the Hurricane it is a lot faster than the Apprentice.
More speed = less thinking time + more energy to manage at landing time. Listen to Mike, his advice is sound. Alternatively if you don't fancy the T28 try the old 480 powered PZ Corsair if you can find one, they are fun, floaty and utterly viceless.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:00 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
512 Posts
Going from an apprentice to this, like pda4u mentioned, is not likely going to be the next best step. I have both planes and are completely different animals. I would go with the T28 or P47 before moving up to this bird. However, prices are great on them right now so if you can find a HH, pick it up.

Takeoffs will be different going from from a tricycle gear to a tail dragger, and landing will need power.
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:02 PM
Joined Jan 2013
274 Posts
Well there's a PnP I can pick up for $150 on Sunday. I just don't want to buy it if there's a high chance of crashing it. I've done powered landings with the Apprentice (even though that's not the best method).
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:23 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,481 Posts
You can still pick it up - you will want one for later. Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:30 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
512 Posts
I would just pick it up, nothing says you have to fly it right away. Unless $ is an issue... Anyways, going from a high wing trainer to a 5.25 lb war bird is not a good idea. They will handle very differently.

If you do get the HH, just remember that the CG of 3.5-3.75" from the leading edge at the fuse, as posted in the manual, IS WRONG!! There should be an attachment inside the box, stating 2.5-3.0"!
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:33 PM
Joined Jan 2013
274 Posts
Well I'm more focused on quadcopters. I just want a plane to fly at the field with my brother during my build. I think I'll probably end up going with a PZ Corsair or a Wildcat. I love how they look.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:08 PM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,014 Posts
Just to let you know the Hurricane has been discontinued
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis