HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2014, 09:39 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeal View Post
Hello there. I faced a little problem and I need an advice please.

I've ordered a Splendor from my LHS and I am setting up my Spektrum DX9 while plane is on its way to me.

I've downloaded some kind of "preset" setting for my DX9 for this plane from HH website and successfully imported it into my DX9. But for some reason these preset setting has 3 flight modes assigned to the "C" switch of my transmitter. Meanwhile, as far as I understand, by default there are only 2 flight modes in this plane plus 2 dual rates and expo rates as well.

But when I switch "C" switcher my DX9 announces that I've chosen "Flight mode 1", "Flight mode 2" and "Flight mode 3" for some reason. Is it ok? Does this switch really changes some king of flight modes or is it just a bug? As far as Iíve understood from this thread the switch that actually changes modes in Splendor is a landing gear switch. Thank you for your help in advance.

And as a newbie in RC planes I'd like to ask another question. I've read through the whole manual but could not find any information regarding the temperature at which I can store the plane. Manual only says not to leave the plane in the car so the foam wonít suffer while itís too hot in the car. But the point is that I live in Russia and I'd like to know if it's save to store the plane at the balcony of my flat where temperature can reach 104 F during summer and -22 F during the winter. I understand that I should not store my batteries there but how about the plane itself? Any ideas?

I have stored planes in my attached garage with similar temperature variation, but I am not subjecting the plane to solar load or inclement weather. They do just fine in the garage but I would not store in a place where the sun could bake it or rain or snow cover it. Maybe a set of waterproof wing bags and bag for the fuselage might work.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:38 PM
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Hello there. I faced a little problem and I need an advice please.

I've ordered a Splendor from my LHS and I am setting up my Spektrum DX9 while plane is on its way to me.

I've downloaded some kind of "preset" setting for my DX9 for this plane from HH website and successfully imported it into my DX9. But for some reason these preset setting has 3 flight modes assigned to the "C" switch of my transmitter. Meanwhile, as far as I understand, by default there are only 2 flight modes in this plane plus 2 dual rates and expo rates as well.

But when I switch "C" switcher my DX9 announces that I've chosen "Flight mode 1", "Flight mode 2" and "Flight mode 3" for some reason. Is it ok? Does this switch really changes some king of flight modes or is it just a bug? As far as I’ve understood from this thread the switch that actually changes modes in Splendor is a landing gear switch. Thank you for your help in advance.

And as a newbie in RC planes I'd like to ask another question. I've read through the whole manual but could not find any information regarding the temperature at which I can store the plane. Manual only says not to leave the plane in the car so the foam won’t suffer while it’s too hot in the car. But the point is that I live in Russia and I'd like to know if it's save to store the plane at the balcony of my flat where temperature can reach 104 F during summer and -22 F during the winter. I understand that I should not store my batteries there but how about the plane itself? Any ideas?
Most of the HH dual rate pre-sets (and manual suggested settings) only include a high/low setting, which is fine for a 2 position switch. Your Dx9 may be assigning this to a 3 position switch so in this case you can modify your d/r settings so maybe your middle switch position is somewhere in-between. Read your Dx9 manual to see how to do this.

Best thing for all electronics, including batteries is to store them indoors, in a temp/humidity controlled environment imho. Also, do not store your batteries fully charged for long periods of time (1 week max). Try to store them at 30-50% charged and charge them up the night before flying.
TomC is offline Find More Posts by TomC
Last edited by TomC; Sep 29, 2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:53 AM
Joined Jun 2014
3 Posts
Thank you Bill and TomC for the information.

Well, so far I guess it's safe to store the plane at the balcony than if I protect it from the sunlight etc.

But things are not that clear about flight mode switching in my DX9.

As far as I understand there should be two switches on my DX9 that change modes:

First switch changes DR and expo and it works just fine in the preset that I've downloaded for my DX9 from the HH web site.

The second switch should switch the plane between F3A and 3D modes as far as I understand it. But instead it has 3 flight modes: "Flight mode 1", "Flight mode 2" and "Flight mode 3". Why? And how can I understand which flight mode is F3A and which is 3D?
Sergeal is offline Find More Posts by Sergeal
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:37 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,241 Posts
I would contact Horizon since the plane and the Dx9 are both their products they should have an answer for you as far as the switch and flight modes go ..

.. as far a storage goes, with the ability to remove both the wings and the horizontal tail quite easily ( and the landing gear as well), you should be able to store the Splendor in a closet taking up as much room as the fuselage is wide
Alan W is online now Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:24 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
I would contact Horizon since the plane and the Dx9 are both their products they should have an answer for you as far as the switch and flight modes go ..

.. as far a storage goes, with the ability to remove both the wings and the horizontal tail quite easily ( and the landing gear as well), you should be able to store the Splendor in a closet taking up as much room as the fuselage is wide
Someone needs to design a LONG thumb screw for the wing bolts. Its a huge pita to put them in and out...
itsparks is online now Find More Posts by itsparks
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:57 PM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsparks View Post
Someone needs to design a LONG thumb screw for the wing bolts. Its a huge pita to put them in and out...
I take my wings off every time .. while its no joy, I'd hardly call it a HUGE pita

Alan W is online now Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Sep 30, 2014, 01:19 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,797 Posts
Lol
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Sep 30, 2014, 01:50 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
I take my wings off every time .. while its no joy, I'd hardly call it a HUGE pita

LOL!

Would be nice if they were finger screws.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 02:53 PM
Changing Paradigms
United States, CA, Redlands
Joined Feb 2014
1,575 Posts
For me the biggest issue with removing and attaching the wings in the field is having to do with the plane upside down, and the fact that even when fully un-screwed the screw heads still are recessed into the foam. (I dont fly at a club so no handy benches). I now bring a foam plane rack to rest the plane on (upside down) and a pair of needle nose pliers in my transmitter case to pull the screws out after they are un-threaded. Much easier now

Jim
Suenaga is online now Find More Posts by Suenaga
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Eflite P-51D w/SAFE Rx Maiden
Old Sep 30, 2014, 06:02 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,468 Posts
What thread size are the wing bolts, a longer socket head cap screw with a couple nuts jamed in the right spot should work
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Sep 30, 2014, 08:25 PM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Sep 2012
49 Posts
What's the best fix for a loose landing gear tail wheel it flops to the side now.
hkgas is offline Find More Posts by hkgas
Old Sep 30, 2014, 08:27 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,290 Posts
I replaced the tail wheel with one with a metal hub.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM
Joined Jun 2014
3 Posts
Hey guys. I have a weird problem.

Got my Splendor today. I nearly fully assembled it but then I decided to take off prop. However none of my hex screwdrivers work! I just can't loosen the screw of the spinner screw! 1.5 mm hex screwdriver is too small and 2.0 mm screwdriver is too big O.o

What screwdriver do you use to loosen the screw at the very nose of the plane? Maybe my 1.5 mm screwdriver is defective?
Sergeal is offline Find More Posts by Sergeal
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys. I have a weird problem.

Got my Splendor today. I nearly fully assembled it but then I decided to take off prop. However none of my hex screwdrivers work! I just can't loosen the screw of the spinner screw! 1.5 mm hex screwdriver is too small and 2.0 mm screwdriver is too big O.o

What screwdriver do you use to loosen the screw at the very nose of the plane? Maybe my 1.5 mm screwdriver is defective?
You sure your 1.5 isn't working ? the screw is kinda long. Mine works...

I put 4 flights on mine today in the wind with no AS3X this thing is awesome with out the as3x.