HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:45 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,667 Posts
Build Log
Executive Designs Monocoupe 90- in 1/4 scale

I spent a lot of time today, looking at building times,and decided to build this one here, since I won't be in a hurry.

I built one in the Early 80's , and sold it to someone who "Had to have it". I missed it badly, and swore to get another someday.

The prices skyrocketed, and this month I thought I'd better get one anyway.

I did, and I'm going to build slowly and surely, with many pauses....

I contract build for others, and this will be my escape.

My original had a Quadra 35, for the nose weight....This one is going to be lighter,with an O.S.91 four stroke.

I can build the tail assembly a little lighter,for the .91,and the forward fuselage formers are going to be replaced with aircraft plywood, rather than lite ply.
If we need weight in the nose ,it may as well be strength.

I like 'heavier' models,so if I can end up at 16 lbs or so,I'll be tickled.

I built a Topflite Cessna 182 at 17 lbs with a Saito 100,and it's just perfect at that weight.
I'm not a scale 'nut' but I do apply some extra effort.

I will model a 90-A, named "The Carolina 'Coupe" -a black and white paint scheme that really stands out.This is not the ORIGINAL 'Carolina Coupe' that currently resides in a Museum, but another one.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:21 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,607 Posts
'M' for Monocoupe! Rah! Rah! Rah!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:27 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,439 Posts
I'm in ! I love Monocoupes.

You haven't forgotten your Fairchild, have you ?
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:17 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,667 Posts
Forgotten Children

No, Tom, The Fairchild is alive and well,...May as well tell everyone,I have Adult attention deficit disorder...My brain dictates which one I work on today...Rather than do just one build,which almost everyone suggests,it's out of my control...

So in that light, I have several planes under construction at once...I do finish them,but at a slower rate than most....Bearing that in mind, let's DO IT !

As with all short nosed aircraft,concessions must be made ,while mounting the engines. The Monocoupe is especially troublesome, in that area. For my OS.91 prop to be situated correctly,I needed a new firewall,1-1/2" back from the one shown...
I'm using the DuBro soft mounting system,which required that much set-back

I cut four rings from the 3/8" A/C ply I had on hand,and epoxied them together.The original firewall has a hole cut into the middle,and the actual mounting firewall is at the rear of the rings. Thus,the engine sits in a depression,
1-1/2 " back. That is actually a plus,because now the OS exhaust will exit in an almost scale position.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:14 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,439 Posts
I hate to admit it, Earl, but I have two other projects ( besides my Monoprep) going on, too. Plus, I'm almost finished with a refurb of an IKON Stinson.

I try not to go there, but the multiple project thing happens to me, too. I usually do the fun stuff, and then move on. LOL
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:06 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,667 Posts
"Scale" models

Okay-I want to do a good job on the 'Coupe..I'm not doing scale structure,except for what shows through the covering.

When we attended Grimes Airports's model fly-in last September,, we took a lot of pics of their disassembled Monocoupe....not enough,but a lot.

With kits being such a compromise, those details are sorely lacking.....I've learned over the years that documentation is key in building a winning model.Then you build to that,so it backs you up,when it's being judged.

Don't include anything that makes your model look unscale.

The Grimes pics will be enlarged, and posted over the work table for instant clarification of grey areas.The resulting covered parts should be pretty convincing.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Jan 22, 2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:35 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,501 Posts
Earl said:"Don't include anything that makes your model look unscale."

That is truly profound. If only it was easy to impliment!
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:56 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,667 Posts
The 'gang' and I went to the copy shop,and had the plans copied to build from.I had the 3-views enlarged to 1/2" scale.....and the picture I posted yesterday looks great at that size.
Surround yourself in the model shop with inspiring pictures.

The detail is much more visible in the enlargements and if you copy three views at 1-40th of full size,10X any measurement on it will equal a 1/4 scale size.

Tomorrow starts the wing framing. I built a special workbench for just the wing...I can start and stop whenever I need to,and it won't be in the way of the other projects.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:38 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,667 Posts
dang me.

I looked over the three views,and decided I couldn't build the ailerons and flaps as shown.
The fullscale ailerons have ribs set at angles to the chord line, and I won't be happy with sheeting them. I'll use a center sheet 'core',and install sheet ribs set at the correct angles, sanded to profile.

I need a trip to Grimes Airport for more pictures...But not today...Snowed last night and it got COLD ! -Best weather for me to stay in and build.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Jan 23, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:55 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,439 Posts
Interesting...I wonder why they are at angles?
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:48 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,667 Posts
Angularity

.My educated guess is for "torque" strength-kinda like diagonals in a fuselage.
I'm doing it for scale effect.
Some other Aircraft Companies used the same construction.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:05 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,501 Posts
Was going thru my doc's stash this AM, and found quite a bit of Monocoupe stuff. I have Westburg's 90A scale drawings and quite bit of data on the odd Monocoupe D-145. This was from drawings I did for a re-print of John Underwood's "Of Monocoupes an Men", which was, unfortunately, never published. Some years later, I provided Ikon NW with a 3-view. I got to see some photos of Emil Neely's 1/4 scale D-145 model prototype for his kit. Unfortunately I felt his effort left a lot to be desired from a scale fidelity point of view. Has anyone seen that kit?

In any event , the D-145 differed from othe Monocoupes in having a two piece wing and a semi-symetrical NACA airfoil (sorry the # escapes me right now). It was considered a real handfull to fly. Lindbergh had one custom-built but he parked it after a ground loop, wiping out the gear. He later donated it to Missouri Historical Society and it's on display at the air terminal St. Louis.
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,667 Posts
When the weather gets warmer,-May or June, I'll spend a day at Grimes measuring things on their Monocoupe 90A...
I can't access my files that I took in September.
The last pictures I posted are from there,the ones of the wing.And they got inverted..
You never know what you'll get, messing about with my computer.
I built the front wing spar today..They have an interesting way of building the entire spars, clamping them down,and adding the ribs..
I've never spent the time to sand everything before building..I usually build,then sand the areas where covering touches,and that's it...This structure will be on display at the Massey Museum for a while,before being covered....Those guys are murder, on judging.....If I can walk away from there unscathed, I'll be happy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:28 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit View Post
Was going thru my doc's stash this AM, and found quite a bit of Monocoupe stuff. I have Westburg's 90A scale drawings and quite bit of data on the odd Monocoupe D-145. This was from drawings I did for a re-print of John Underwood's "Of Monocoupes an Men", which was, unfortunately, never published. Some years later, I provided Ikon NW with a 3-view. I got to see some photos of Emil Neely's 1/4 scale D-145 model prototype for his kit. Unfortunately I felt his effort left a lot to be desired from a scale fidelity point of view. Has anyone seen that kit?

In any event , the D-145 differed from othe Monocoupes in having a two piece wing and a semi-symetrical NACA airfoil (sorry the # escapes me right now). It was considered a real handfull to fly. Lindbergh had one custom-built but he parked it after a ground loop, wiping out the gear. He later donated it to Missouri Historical Society and it's on display at the air terminal St. Louis.
There is a build thread for the IKON D-145 on RC Scale Builder. http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...TID=17935&PN=1

Matt is an acomplished modeler, who has placed highly at the Toledo Show.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:48 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,667 Posts
"sparring partners"

The Monocoupe kit has an interesting spar design, front and rear...The spars are completely assembled before any ribs are added.

They're one piece affairs, full length. Lite ply doublers/dihedral joiners are notched for center section ribs.

The tip joiners are laminated from two 1/8" ply die-cut pieces..I like the solid feel of the spars when completed.The completed assembly is strong enough that shear webs aren't required, but I'll do them anyway.

It's interesting, that I haven't had to 'cut' anything so far....everything is the exact length for it's purpose-Leading and trailing edges, spars, aileron and flap openings....the quality is beginning to show....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Jan 24, 2013 at 08:34 AM. Reason: add pics