HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis View Post
That made me really dizzy but it was fun anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Watching the video it looks like a classic stall spin crash. Three channel planes are especially prone to these.

GB Good luck with the Archer, I find that it needs a good amount of space to fly though. In fact my Apprentice S needs less room. The Archer needs at least as much room to fly as most of the 1100mm parkflyers, Bascially where ever you could fly that wildcat the Archer can fly.

With proper CG the Archer doesn't need aileron washout. But yeah it is a good thing to remember you can do on other models.

-Brian
Thank you Brian for the good luck wishes and for the tip. I was thinking it wouldn't need must more room than my Pitts, but I guess not. Bender Field of the Business Park it is!
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 03:27 AM
United States, NH, Bath
Joined Mar 2011
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlukeSky View Post
I found your information to be very useful and informative. While I know a "fair" bit about what makes an airplane fly, I admit I was not aware of washout. I plan to implement it on my Archer before my next flight.

Thank You!
I'm glad the info was of help to you. If my plane has ailerons, I add washout to it. It cannot do any harm that I'm aware of.
Kenap is offline Find More Posts by Kenap
Old Today, 03:45 AM
United States, NH, Bath
Joined Mar 2011
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post

With proper CG the Archer doesn't need aileron washout. But yeah it is a good thing to remember you can do on other models.

-Brian
Brian: I have to disagree with you on that count. Many a plane with proper CG have tip stall tendencies none-the-less. Tip stall has more to do with wing shape and other factors than it does balance.

Most trainers have constant wing chord from root to tip, for example. which is why they tend to avoid tip stall problems. Still, many of those have built-in washout anyway for good measure. The Archer's wing chord is tapered. That's part of the problem.

My Archer did have some tip stall tendencies when I first tested it out under certain circumstances. Adding washout cleared up the problem.

If you're really interested, go to the article that Red Sneakers was good enough to look up for us here: http://www.modelaviation.com/washout After checking the site out myself, I found that the actual article in the Model Aviation magazine went into far greater detail. Still, you get enough info there to get the picture.

Adding washout will not harm your plane. Why not go for it?
Kenap is offline Find More Posts by Kenap
Last edited by Kenap; Today at 04:09 AM.
Old Today, 06:32 AM
Joined Sep 2014
6 Posts
Interesting read on the washout. So three turns OUT on each aileron link... got it
Relisys190 is online now Find More Posts by Relisys190
Old Today, 06:38 AM
Learning to fly.......FAST!!
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh East
Joined Mar 2013
732 Posts
I never knew about this "washout" before either. I may have to use it. I find with a slightly forward CG it helps prevent any tip stall but admittedly I'd rather fly at correct CG. Will give the washout a go! Thanks for the advice!
RCWASP is offline Find More Posts by RCWASP
Old Today, 11:49 AM
"Some do, some don't"
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
458 Posts
Subscribed

Wow already familiar with many of the posters here, got heads up on Price thru Crashcast Listeners and pulled the trigger just about as quick as could pull out wallet. And then being good RC guy, next step was here..

Big Payoff, Article on washout was worth what I spent on plane... Plane is on it's way... Will read thru the thread later (B4 maiden)

Mark R.

old_coastie
old_coastie is online now Find More Posts by old_coastie
Old Today, 11:53 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
498 Posts
Under what circumstances does the Archer need added washout? Seems like it flies fine to me as designed. What this plane really needs is 3s. With 3s and lemon stability rx this is an outstanding airplane. On 2s, maybe it is more prone to tip stalling, I can't recall. In general it didn't fly very smooth in wind in stock form but that is typical of an airplan this size. I never had an issue with stalls or general controlling of the plane in stock form.
deadzone is online now Find More Posts by deadzone