HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2012, 10:39 AM
United States, MN, Otsego
Joined Dec 2010
377 Posts
Help!
Throttle hold and Idle Up on Phoenix with 8fg

I use Phoenix flight simulator and absolutely love it. I recently bought an adaptor to hook up my futaba 8fg and when I use the standard template for that tx on Phoenix it assigns tthrottle hold and Idle up to 1 and 3 on the keyboard. How would I setup the SIM and or the TX to use the switches on the tx for these functions? Why wouldn't they already be setup this way? I'm not going to have a keyboard at the filed to reach down and hit throttle hold on after all!

The basic heli I setup on the 8fg for the SIM has Normal, and idle up 1, 2 and 3.

How do I change the SIM to use those switches?

Jim
jcmors is offline Find More Posts by jcmors
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 12:48 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
...system, my controls, click on the relevant tx, click on edit profile, if in simple mode, click on detailed, scroll down until you find throttle hold and idle up, where it has the keyboard assignments, click on the arrow next to it, take note which channel moves when you switch on and off the throttle hold and idle up switches and assign them to the channel that moves.

I don't have a 8fg, but that's the way I had to map my Walkera WK-2603 to use the gear (sim reassignment only) and idle up switches.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Old May 19, 2012, 02:41 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,888 Posts
Throttle-hold is a transmitter function and independent of Phoenix. When it is setup on your transmitter it acts like a switch in "series" with your throttle.

You can also set up idle-up independent of Phoenix. In your Futaba set up a linear throttle curve in normal flight mode - and a flat throttle curve in the 2nd flight mode - same procedure as in the real world.

captJac
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; May 19, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Dec 2010
377 Posts
Thank you!

I set the throttle hold and my idle up 1 as well. I have two more idle up modes I can set in my futaba as well. I really appreciate the help as now I can sim more realistically and without keyboard controls.

So the sim is more than just a flying sim then? ie I can also simulate setting up my transmitter controls with it? How realistic do the idle up curves I would set translate to real life on any particular model in real life?

Again, thanks!

Jim
Old Jun 09, 2012, 06:58 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
next to the stick functions, is a box with a curve in it, above it it says "curve", click on that and choose from the pre-loaded choices or make you own.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Old Jun 09, 2012, 06:58 PM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
I just set up my DX7S on Phoenix, and encountered a few difficulties. i still haven't managed to get throttle hold to work on that, either. Probably doesn't really matter, because I don't think I'm going to break anything in a crash on a PC screen, but it would be nice to make it as realistic as possible.

My biggest hurdle was I couldn't get the throttle to come back to idle, I did a bit of reading and found that what I needed to do was assign one of the model memories in the tx to Phoenix and set the swash type as one servo, 90 degree, (The same as if you were using BeastX or similar). Interestingly, the manual also said to set up all models as heli, even planes

I found a list of settings recommended for taming an MCPX, so I used them and found they worked a treat, the MCPX flies like a co-ax now
Angrydad is offline Find More Posts by Angrydad
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Dec 2010
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrydad View Post
I just set up my DX7S on Phoenix, and encountered a few difficulties. i still haven't managed to get throttle hold to work on that, either. Probably doesn't really matter, because I don't think I'm going to break anything in a crash on a PC screen, but it would be nice to make it as realistic as possible.

My biggest hurdle was I couldn't get the throttle to come back to idle, I did a bit of reading and found that what I needed to do was assign one of the model memories in the tx to Phoenix and set the swash type as one servo, 90 degree, (The same as if you were using BeastX or similar). Interestingly, the manual also said to set up all models as heli, even planes

I found a list of settings recommended for taming an MCPX, so I used them and found they worked a treat, the MCPX flies like a co-ax now
I have my 8fg setup as you mentioned and yes it does work for fixed wing as well as helis The thing I was missing about throttle hold was what CaptJac cleared up for me. Throttle hold isn't a channel perce' all it is is an alernate set of pitch and throttle curves with the throttle curve at a flat "0". I kept looking for a way to map a throttle hold switch from my tx to phoenix when all I needed to do was set it up on the sim model memory position I use and it functioned fine, effectively turning off the throttle, without a need to map it in Phoenix.

Same with idle up... set my idle up one switch selection, set in a flat throttle curve and a nice idle up pitch curve and flipping the switch works without any need to "map" it in the sim itself.

Wouldn't it be great if we could go into some software on our computer and program our real life models to be as tame as we can in the sim!

Jim