HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:17 PM
United States, SD, Faith
Joined Sep 2014
11 Posts
Question
Structure

If you were going to launch a plane with a estes rocket engine about size d-e. What would you need structure wise? A better question is what is the best design for a plane. I want to use the engines for boosters on gliders or motorized planes and for taking off. If any has a design or tread they think would work show me. I have already looked at the rocketry forum. Thank you.
CoolKidDenim is offline Find More Posts by CoolKidDenim
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:50 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
3,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolKidDenim View Post
If you were going to launch a plane with a estes rocket engine about size d-e. What would you need structure wise? A better question is what is the best design for a plane. I want to use the engines for boosters on gliders or motorized planes and for taking off. If any has a design or tread they think would work show me. I have already looked at the rocketry forum. Thank you.
A very simple ( and strong ) design would be like a dart-style paper plane , but made out of foam board .
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Mar 30, 2015, 01:03 PM
Joined Apr 2013
874 Posts
Do a search on this site for "RATO" (which stands for "rocket assisted take off").
After reading a bit, it will become clear that while it looks really cool, it's not very useful in comparison to just up-sizing motor/prop.
nuteman is offline Find More Posts by nuteman
Old Mar 30, 2015, 06:05 PM
Free Sarcasm!
United States, OH, Worthington
Joined Nov 2014
46 Posts
It depends upon what size rocket motor you are using relative to the weight of the plane. I've seen people using RATO on some relatively fragile gliders, but obviously the rocket engine was smaller relative to the plane. Any idea of the size of the plane?
Decroxx is offline Find More Posts by Decroxx
Old Yesterday, 02:28 AM
Joined Mar 2015
2 Posts
it will become clear that while it looks really cool, it's not very useful in comparison to just up-sizing motor/prop.
gzibyebe is offline Find More Posts by gzibyebe