SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:38 AM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2007
230 Posts
Mini-Review
Isabel by Columbini

This post is my review of a kit called the Isabel by and Italian company, Colombini. I was asked to build this model for one of my customers and in overall summary I must say it is a very interesting build. As with any kit, there will always be things that one builder likes and others that are not so well liked and this kit is no different but as a general rule it really is a nice, worthwhile project with no insurmountable issues based upon the individual builders desires. One thing is for certain, I would love to tackle this project as a plank on frame model .... it would be a really beautiful model.

I recently completed this model and its initial seal trials and will be shipping it across country in couple of days. However I hope to share the myriad of construction photos over the next day or so, most of which should be self explanatory. However don't hesitate to post your questions and we can exchange ideas.
propaplace is offline Find More Posts by propaplace
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:26 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,166 Posts
Neat looking kit. rough math says 30"?

Any idea if this kit is related to the Amati "Dorade" kit?
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:36 AM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
184 Posts
Dorade kit

It does look a lot like the Dorade, I was interested in getting one and RC'ing it but I couldn't find anyone that had done it. I found some pictures of one that was done in New Zealand, but I wasn't able to locate the owner.
I used the contact email on the Columbini site to ask if they shipped to the USA and how much it would cost, but I haven't had a reply yet. Just sent the message yesterday evening so they haven't really had time to reply.
Does anyone know if someone in the US sells them?
Thanks - Jim
jimhurley is offline Find More Posts by jimhurley
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:48 AM
Joined Jan 2007
230 Posts
Greetings! Yes there is a resemblance but I believe this is a better design. The fellow I built this for ordered it directly from Columbini and had it shipped to me. Thankfully for the owner's patience I was able to take my time and study the instructions and the basic layout in order to make a couple of significant changes to deal with the radio installation. I believe the modifications were worthwhile and the results can be seen on the water. Hopefully I will be able to post the videos of the two sea trials.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:22 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,166 Posts
Thanks for your reply!

Looking forward to seeing any on the water pics/impressions. you did a nice job with the build.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 01, 2014, 09:05 AM
Joined Jan 2007
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
Thanks for your reply!

Looking forward to seeing any on the water pics/impressions. you did a nice job with the build.
Thank you!
Old Nov 01, 2014, 10:11 AM
Joined Jan 2007
230 Posts
Here are the concluding photos and videos of the "Isabel". The videos we took are in segments but don't reveal the absolute joy of the seeing the Isabel on the water.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 09:43 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
184 Posts
New purchase of Isabel

I just purchased the Isabel kit and should have it in a couple of weeks, the owner of the company was very good to work with.
I sent him a link to this site and he commented on the nice job that was done on his boat.
If anyone is interested they are having a Christmas special and the kit is 240 Euros. Shipping to Washing state was another 30 Euros. I was looking at the Amati Dorade, until I came across this build log a decided this would be a better choice since this boat was designed for RC and the Dorade was not. The Isabel is quite a bit cheaper than the Dorade, but the Dorade is about 6 inches longer.
Thanks to you, propaplace for putting you build photos here is RC Groups.
Jim
Old Nov 23, 2014, 08:57 AM
Joined Jan 2007
230 Posts
You're most welcome. I have to give credit to the owner for giving me the opportunity to build this model. I'd never heard of the Isabel nor the Dorade until he contacted me. We discussed the possibilities and potential issues with both and he decided on the Isabel. I'm so grateful he did and had the trust in my modest skills. I really enjoyed the build.

As for working with the folks a Columbini, YES, they are most accommodating. When the kit arrived I noted that the instruction were in Italian and I don't read or speak the language other than "pizza"!! Anyway, I spent a fair amount of time doing a cut and paste of the instructions in Google Translate and Bablefish. Nevertheless there were some terms that just didn't translate and make sense so I took a chance and sent an email, containing the confusing translations. To my complete surprise, I received a wonderful response and they sent me an English translation!! Well, that sold me on their customer support and service. I wish you the best and don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 02:16 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
184 Posts
Isabel Received

I received my kit yesterday afternoon and had a look inside and read thru the instructions last night. I'm impressed with the kit and my interactions with the owner. They included a lazer cut Christmas ornament and a lazer cut BuonNatale in the box, which I felt was very thoughtful of them.
They are having a Christmas sale right now and the boat price is reduced by 40 Euros. I inquired about shipping a Dorade from a company in England and they wanted 85 E for the shipping, the shipping for this boat was much more reasonable.
Now for a couple of questions: What servo's are you using and why did you decide to go with an arm setup instead of a drum winch? Also might you have a drawing of the sheet layout with the arm servo.
So far all my boats have arm setups, but they are all conventional sloop rigs. I have a Thunder Tiger China Team that called for a drum winch, but I converted it to an arm as I've read numerous accounts of sheets coming of the drum due to tensioning problems with drum winch setups. The same is true for my Canterbury J, which uses an arm setup. The setup on the Isabel, looks like it may not have that problem due to there being a continuous loop on the drum. Also if there were a problem an idler like those used on car fan belts could be used.
Jim
Old Dec 12, 2014, 03:31 PM
Joined Jan 2007
230 Posts
Greetings! I'm happy you're pleased with what you received and with the dealings with the company. I know I was. As for the choice of electronics, it was based upon the owners request. I used the Hitec HS-765HB Sail Arm Servo for the main sail, the HS-425BB for the rudder and for the foresail a HS-635HB. (roughly the same as the HS-625MG). I sent the sketch of the rigging to the owner and unfortunately I didn't keep a copy for myself. No, I didn't use an idler on any of the setup but it did take a bit of testing and retesting and retesting to get sufficient throw on the main, jib and genoa. One of the biggest issues was figuring out how to rig it so that the sheets can be replaced at some point in the future. That was a head scratcher!! I can tell you it really looks neat going downwind with the jib and genoa in the wing and wing configuration. These pictures were taken by the owner as he sails the Isabel on his home lake in California. He said he really likes the way it handles. If you'd like, I can share your email address with the owner for personal communications and he can share his thoughts and ideas with you. If this is acceptable send me a pm with your email address and I will forward it to him.

Jim
Last edited by propaplace; Dec 12, 2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 05:47 AM
Udelix
Hannover (Germany)
Joined Mar 2008
18 Posts
Hello together, in fall 2013 I filmed La Seņora Isabel sailing together with two Micro Magics in Hildesheim (Germany).

Isabel - RC Sailboat ( Bermuda Yawl 1930ies ) (14 min 19 sec)

On her maiden voyage this day she had no optimization for sailing. She was exactly built after the kit instructions. As shown in the video the double foresails do not really work together, better to sail her with genoa alone.

Udo
Udelix is offline Find More Posts by Udelix
Last edited by Udelix; Mar 10, 2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 04:47 PM
Joined Jan 2007
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udelix View Post
Hello together, in fall 2013 I filmed La Seņora Isabel sailing together with two Micro Magics in Hildesheim (Germany).

http://youtu.be/IO2dZRhySX8

On her maiden voyage this day she had no optimization for sailing. She was exactly built after the kit instructions. As shown in the video the double foresails do not really work together, better to sail her with genoa alone.

Udo
Very nice! Very nice!
Jim