SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Thread Tools
Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Norman Adlam is offline
Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,471 Posts
Cool
Why I love Science..

.. because they are always more questions than answers..

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/subatomic-...1.html#NBQuTsq

(Reminds me of my engineering days.. "The good thing about Standards is that there are so many to choose from!" )
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM
dedStik is offline
Find More Posts by dedStik
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
dedStik's Avatar
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,513 Posts
I'd be interested to know, if the LHC were orbiting in zero g would all these tests they run return the same results? Does gravity have an effect on these test results?
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
Sonny McGhee is offline
Find More Posts by Sonny McGhee
Registered User
Joined Dec 2013
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
I'd be interested to know, if the LHC were orbiting in zero g would all these tests they run return the same results? Does gravity have an effect on these test results?
No expert here, but I would say if gravity was able to affect the particles, then even orbiting in a zero gravity environment would introduce 'gravity'.

Seems I remember Einstein saying something about the effects of gravity and acceleration giving the same appearances.
Sonny McGhee is offline Find More Posts by Sonny McGhee
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
madsci_guy is offline
Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee View Post
Seems I remember Einstein saying something about the effects of gravity and acceleration giving the same appearances.
I don't think that Einstein said that, but some other people have.

The way you would differentiate gravity vs acceleration inside some "closed box", is to see if the force varies as the square of the distance traveled.

1. Under constant acceleration, the force would be uniform in the entire box.

2. If in a gravitational field, the force would vary, dependent on the location inside the box.

3. If the acceleration was not constant, that would be detected by an object that did not move WRT the box, that experienced a time variant force.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM
dll932 is offline
Find More Posts by dll932
Who, ME?
dll932's Avatar
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
.. because they are always more questions than answers..

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/subatomic-...1.html#NBQuTsq

(Reminds me of my engineering days.. "The good thing about Standards is that there are so many to choose from!" )
I have an ancient Audel's Machinist's Handy Book. The author is quite blunt about his feelings regarding all the different drill bit standards.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM
dedStik is offline
Find More Posts by dedStik
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
dedStik's Avatar
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee View Post
No expert here, but I would say if gravity was able to affect the particles, then even orbiting in a zero gravity environment would introduce 'gravity'.

Seems I remember Einstein saying something about the effects of gravity and acceleration giving the same appearances.
That I could see, but considering a human body is weightless or the effect of weightlessness in zero g, why would something with so little mass be affected? You would think a body of larger mass would be affected as well.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM
logan5 is online now
Find More Posts by logan5
Registered User
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
.. because they are always more questions than answers..

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/subatomic-...1.html#NBQuTsq

(Reminds me of my engineering days.. "The good thing about Standards is that there are so many to choose from!" )
Just don't ask any questions about Climate Change ... doing so is unscientific.
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM
Norman Adlam is offline
Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Just don't ask any questions about Climate Change ... doing so is unscientific.
Not according to Scientists - who seem to constantly be asking questions, and trying to find answers..
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM
madsci_guy is offline
Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
Not according to Scientists - who seem to constantly be asking questions, and trying to find answers..
That they are,

"Where is my funding for next year coming from?"
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
Sonny McGhee is offline
Find More Posts by Sonny McGhee
Registered User
Joined Dec 2013
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
That I could see, but considering a human body is weightless or the effect of weightlessness in zero g, why would something with so little mass be affected? You would think a body of larger mass would be affected as well.
Yes, but don't forget, the question was about 'orbiting' around some point in outer space at high speed. A body in orbit, even traveling at a constant speed is still considered as being under acceleration.
Sonny McGhee is offline Find More Posts by Sonny McGhee
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM
robogizzard is offline
Find More Posts by robogizzard
Registered User
Joined May 2014
21 Posts
So the leptons are leeping off?
robogizzard is offline Find More Posts by robogizzard
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM
madsci_guy is offline
Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee View Post
A body in orbit, even traveling at a constant speed is still considered as being under acceleration.
Yup, because one should be looking at the body's velocity which is not constant, therefore clearly shows the acceleration.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM
dedStik is offline
Find More Posts by dedStik
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
dedStik's Avatar
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,513 Posts
I did a quick search and was slightly amazed at what behaves differently in zero g.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM
Sonny McGhee is offline
Find More Posts by Sonny McGhee
Registered User
Joined Dec 2013
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
I did a quick search and was slightly amazed at what behaves differently in zero g.
Your internal organs for one. It's what gives you that funny feeling in your stomach when you go over the top and then down a tall rollercoaster. You're stomach starts 'floating' in near zero gravity.
Sonny McGhee is offline Find More Posts by Sonny McGhee
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM
dedStik is offline
Find More Posts by dedStik
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
dedStik's Avatar
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,513 Posts
Yeah I saw that as well as human swelling "Charlie Brown head" they called it.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Santorum on why pope, with chem deg, should not talk science Tim Green Life, The Universe, and Politics 7 Jun 08, 2015 12:01 PM
Discussion Why I love Rcgroups and these classifieds Demo7 Trader Talk 2 Jun 03, 2015 10:28 AM
Discussion The Science Of Why You Should Spend Your Money On Experiences, Not Things kenpoprofessor Life, The Universe, and Politics 4 Apr 01, 2015 06:38 AM
Discussion Big Bang in question .... or why the Science is never Over logan5 Life, The Universe, and Politics 53 Feb 11, 2015 05:43 PM
Discussion I love science but... Indiana_Geoff Life, The Universe, and Politics 7 Oct 11, 2013 12:42 PM