Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by cars4fun2001
Back in black............
United States, TX, Dodd City
Joined Sep 2005
2,074 Posts
Discussion
FM radio

So I am trying to get back into flying. I havnt done it in a few years. Dsm was brand new when I got out. I was planing on using older jm FM radios and a friend of mine said that he tried using them and had a lot of interface issues with them. Said that he had to go to 2.4 to keep from having issues.. I know a lot has changed in 8 years. Can you not use FM reliable anymore.
cars4fun2001 is online now Find More Posts by cars4fun2001
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:55 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
30,045 Posts
Yes, FM is still reliable if you are using quality equipment.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2015, 01:22 PM
Joined Sep 2005
2,074 Posts
I just couldn't see how it couldn't be. I know there is a lot more radio waves in the air now but I just felt like if you had good equipment it should work just as good as it did 10 years ago.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 01:23 PM
Find More Posts by 75sv1
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
Also, since there are not as many on FM, there is a lot less interference than the old days.
75sv1 is offline Find More Posts by 75sv1
Old Aug 21, 2015, 01:28 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
30,045 Posts
You probably don't have to worry about getting your frequency pin today

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2015, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by txt killer
Joined Apr 2008
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cars4fun2001 View Post
So I am trying to get back into flying. I havnt done it in a few years. Dsm was brand new when I got out. I was planing on using older jm FM radios and a friend of mine said that he tried using them and had a lot of interface issues with them. Said that he had to go to 2.4 to keep from having issues.. I know a lot has changed in 8 years. Can you not use FM reliable anymore.
I still use FM without any problems. I suspect the receiver was bad or the rx crystal was bad. You can have the your radio system re-tuned to make sure it's still good.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Old Aug 21, 2015, 01:44 PM
Joined Sep 2005
2,074 Posts
I don't go or never did go to a flying filed. Not any around me. Do they still do the frequency pin board. Thanks guys that's what I figured. Sure makes me feel a lot better for y'all to confirm it though.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 01:56 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
30,045 Posts
Places that have a number of pilots on 72 still use them. My old club back in PA has a board still, and has 2.4 clips to help keep guys in the habit of using a pin.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2015, 02:28 PM
Find More Posts by ivanc
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
10,361 Posts
We (GAMA out of Georgetown, TX) still have our 72MHz and 50MHz frequency board and we also have several flyers using 72MHz equipment without issues.

Make sure you do a good range check with each model before the first flight for the day - the same way we used to do it back when we used 72MHz equipment.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
Old Aug 22, 2015, 04:58 AM
Find More Posts by bossee
Bo Edström, Sweden
Joined Jan 2009
1,447 Posts
Hi,
last Wednesday evening I was out flying at the clubfield and two pilots that use FM radio got severe interference at one spot over a grass field some distance from the modelfield. I saw one of the flights and the model dived to the ground but the pilot got "contact" with the plane again just before it was about to hit the ground. On the other hand, the same evening I made a flight with the club trainer (two people wanted to try RC) that use FM radio and all was fine during that flight. But when buying new radio today a 2.4 GHz radio is better to buy in almost all cases in my opinion. And it is difficult to even find any (new) FM radios today. Becker here in Europe still make them but that is probably one of the few that still make new FM radios
http://www.becker-fm.de/
In English:
https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

I believe that Futaba still make one 4 ch FM radio.

/Bo
bossee is online now Find More Posts by bossee
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:23 PM
Find More Posts by showmaster
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2006
2,650 Posts
FM radio

What we're finding at a very busy Rc flying field is no flags or pins are being used for 72 or 27 MHz. This is because many flyers are dumping their gear on benches for free or selling at garage sales. The new owners seeing that this gear works and the price was free or very little, show up without a clue as to frequency sharing. Add to that a spread out field with heli and multi rotors at one end, nitro and gas, and turbines in the center, and electrics at the other end. No one pits where they fly. They just set up shop turn in and attempt to fly.
No way at some fields to police what's being turned on.
You may post a flag or clothespin but you may be the only one that knows to.
The radio gear if FM, PCM, even narrow band AM, is still as good as it was 5-10 years ago except there's little to none frequency control or knowing it should be these days.
My advice is to not fly at a field where frequency control isn't still unforced, or fly alone at a remote area.
With the price of 2.4g equipment being so reasonable these days, can you afford the loss of your plane or worse, a liability crash issue from loss of control?
I also fly at a private field and they heavily regulate frequency control. At first it seemed like over kill but all frequency flying, 27,72, 6 meters fm (50&53 mhz ham band) is done without issues.
The field is out in the country away form parks that might encourage Rc flying.

So as Andy has said, no issues with the radio gear working. It's the unregulated flyers around you that may cause you concern.
showmaster is offline Find More Posts by showmaster
Old Aug 22, 2015, 03:36 PM
Find More Posts by rajazo
Chile
Joined Jul 2010
462 Posts
as said it before, 72mhz its reliable but needs range test on the field or could be get a big surprice in some spots.... I don't know why but in my experience I suffered in two times scary interferences... in a park just in some spot I lose the control and get safety mode gliding and in a private field some days I have problems in the same way (some radio transmition maybe)...
At this time there are a lot DIY kits to put 2,4ghz on your old radio... and for $50 or less worth the money
rajazo is online now Find More Posts by rajazo
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:15 PM
Joined Sep 2005
2,074 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by showmaster
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2006
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cars4fun2001 View Post
Thanks for the reply guys.

Living in the USA you can install a Frsky Dht DIY solder in tx board for 2.4g, into almost any Rc radio made.
It requires 3 wires to be soldered and a hole for the antenna mount.
The wires as I remember m, are red for switched +power, black for any common ground, and maybe yellow for the ppm signal in that also goes to the 72mhz rf deck you have now. PPM is also on most trainer jacks.
I believe you can keep the 72mhz as well but I would add a switch to kill its power so you can safely use it without the 72mhz antenna connected or retracted. No transmitter should be operated for short or long periods of time without a proper loaded antenna fully extended!
If you own a module type radio, Frsky sells a plug in module made for JR pin out and Futaba.
No soldering required.
The advantage of the Frsky setup is it'll give you telemetry to monitor you planes Lopo, RC battery, altitude, current draw, and much more.
You plug in a small dashboard into the modules data port and you see it and I think hear it all on it. You just mount it on your tx somewhere.
The Frsky receivers all support telemetry in the D series that's still legal and usable in the USA. The EU countries have changed the protocol for all 2.4g equipment, RC being one. Some upgrades to prior gear hasn't happened yet like the Dht, Djt, Dft series gear. No issue in the USA and no discussion of it happening anytime soon. Lucky us!
The Frsky X series DXT and X receivers would be the better choice if you update a module tx. It supports D and X receivers. For now, there's no solder in DIY x board/module.

Post some ideas on what you want to recycle you own or buy new, and more detailed ideas can be posted.
All good options that are solid control kinks with added telemetry options.
SM
showmaster is offline Find More Posts by showmaster
Old Aug 23, 2015, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by 75sv1
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
I've seen 2.4 go bad. Also, there is a member (Ivan) on here who sells adapters to the trainer ports for other radios to use AnyLink or Spectrum modules.
75sv1 is offline Find More Posts by 75sv1