HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2008, 05:06 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,581 Posts
Build Log
Carl Goldberg Eagle 2 build

Purchased an Eagle 2 kit off Ebay last winter, just started the build this week.
The box never mentioned anywhere that all the parts were laser cut, so I was nicely surprised to find it was.
And what beautiful cutting it is. This is one the best cut kits I have built yet, extremely happy with the laser cuts, fitting, and ease of build.
Build manual is very good, covers all the bass so far anyways.......I am just in the middle to joining the 2 wing halves together.

Hoping the fuselage goes together as well and easy as the rest has already

Post pictures later tonight.
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2008, 05:11 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu
Purchased an Eagle 2 kit off Ebay last winter, just started the build this week.
>
>
Post pictures later tonight.
Anxious to see the pictures

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 07, 2008, 07:09 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,538 Posts
The Goldberg Eagle 2 was my first balsa build back about 1990. My kit was a stamped kit but it still went together well. It flew very well and was quite hot with a .46 Royal glow in it. I still have the plane and stripped out the glow motor to convert it to electric but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Enjoy and post pics.

Rick
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Sep 08, 2008, 05:11 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,538 Posts
Very nice. That brings back a lot of memories. That is one sturdy rascal. It did manage to lawn dart my E2 at full throttle and only the tail behind the wing trailing edge survived. I got a new wing kit and rebuilt the fuse from the plans and it flew again. I still have the box it came in and the plans from 1990 just in case.

I like your "squares."

BTW what type of power will you be using on it?

Rick
Old Sep 08, 2008, 06:23 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,581 Posts
I have a .40 OS in my PT40, but I think I will buy another one and leave it in the PT.

Most likely, at this point anyways, another .40 OS

The "squares" are from the deck building section hardware at Home Depot.
Old Sep 08, 2008, 06:43 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu
I have a .40 OS in my PT40, but I think I will buy another one and leave it in the PT.

Most likely, at this point anyways, another .40 OS

The "squares" are from the deck building section hardware at Home Depot.
The .40 OS should do well. Keep us posted.

Rick
Old Sep 09, 2008, 11:13 AM
Woodbine, MD
Joined Aug 2006
27 Posts
I have the Eagle 2 as well you might want to oversize the control surfaces by 1/2 inch. You can always lower the endpoints or put your clevice farther out on the horn until you get used to it's more aerobatic performance. I say this because you will have to fly coordinated with the stock configuration. Also ditch the wire gear it will be a constant source of aggrivation. I just put a piece of light ply on the fuse bottom and used an aluminum gear with 3" wheels, and a 2 3/4 nose wheel. also you might want to consider only using 1 degree of dihedral to eliminate most of the roll coupling with the yaw. I also recommend a .46 I had an OS .40FP on mine and it was plenty of power for flight but needed an extended take off run. Modify the wing for 2 servos and use flapperons that will allow you to use spoilers when inverted and will dramatically increase inverted performance. Also spoilers will allow you to grease your landings, because this plane will often just keep flying with ground effect. With these mods it will be something you will still want to fly after you learn to solo. Besides the guys at the club will get a kick out of you doing a trainer knife edge, and inverted figure eights.
althomas101 is offline Find More Posts by althomas101
Old Sep 09, 2008, 07:21 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by althomas101
I have the Eagle 2 as well you might want to oversize the control surfaces by 1/2 inch. You can always lower the endpoints or put your clevice farther out on the horn until you get used to it's more aerobatic performance. I say this because you will have to fly coordinated with the stock configuration. Also ditch the wire gear it will be a constant source of aggrivation. I just put a piece of light ply on the fuse bottom and used an aluminum gear with 3" wheels, and a 2 3/4 nose wheel. also you might want to consider only using 1 degree of dihedral to eliminate most of the roll coupling with the yaw. I also recommend a .46 I had an OS .40FP on mine and it was plenty of power for flight but needed an extended take off run. Modify the wing for 2 servos and use flapperons that will allow you to use spoilers when inverted and will dramatically increase inverted performance. Also spoilers will allow you to grease your landings, because this plane will often just keep flying with ground effect. With these mods it will be something you will still want to fly after you learn to solo. Besides the guys at the club will get a kick out of you doing a trainer knife edge, and inverted figure eights.
I think these are some great mods if you want to spiff up the E2, but if this is to be a trainer I would suggest building it stock. If you want something a bit hotter and more aerobatic modify it later or go to another aircraft.
Last edited by Rickochet; Sep 09, 2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 10:27 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,203 Posts
I built one box stock almost 20yrs ago.. the whole family enjoyed it. I buddy boxed everyone.. then sold it to a father/son that had it flying for a few more years. Great design box stock.. with an OS FP40 that I still have, and it still runs great..
Have fun.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:24 PM
Woodbine, MD
Joined Aug 2006
27 Posts
I have used my modified version to train three people who had never flown R/C, none of them thought the plane was difficult to fly. In fact on low rates it is as docile as stock. I just made the suggestion so that it doesn't become a boring plane after you learn to fly. Just because you have more control or power doesn't mean you have to use it. But if you don't build it in you will never have it unless you build a new plane.
althomas101 is offline Find More Posts by althomas101
Old Sep 23, 2008, 09:57 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,581 Posts
New pics

Here is a few more pics, got tied with working on a car for the last week or so.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:04 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,581 Posts
A couple of more
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:17 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
Oh yes. The Eagle 2--I remember it well. I used to build them at a rate of five per week for a local hobby shop. That was before the ARF market exploded--the good old days I call them. We could barely keep up with the demand.

BM
BillM is online now Find More Posts by BillM
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:37 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,581 Posts
Finally!

After a hanger hiatus, the Eagle is back on the work bench getting covered.

Going with Teal and White. Got the body done in Teal, and the wing all in white. Just thinking things over as to trim for each.