HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2004, 09:25 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,615 Posts
Crooked Crutch: Hole-free canopy mounting

After trimming down my stock Corona canopy to fit Matt's Crooked Crutch, I didn't like the idea of the aluminum canopy standoff sticking out thru the sides. Here's a cheap, simple way to do it without any holes:

A. Mount the aluminum standoff and measure the overall length (about
2-1/2")

B. Remove the aluminum standoff and replace it with a same-length piece of 4-40 threaded rod, aluminum tube, small nyrod, wooden dowel, or left-over carbon fiber pushrod. Fasten it in place with CA or a couple of 4-40 nuts or whatever. You could even use the original aluminum standoff if you prefer.

C. From scrap canopy material, make up a couple of canopy retainers as shown in the following drawing. Adjust the dimensions to match whatever standoff you use. It took me two tries to get the first one to come out right, but hey, it's leftover scrap material, right?

D. Once the canopy is trimmed and fitted, place it in position and mark inside the canopy where the ends of the standoff meet the inner surface of the canopy.

E. CA the canopy retainers in position, with the bottom of the 'U' shaped bends toward the rear, so that the ends of the standoff fit inside the 'U'. The canopy can be easily removed by slightly spreading the sides to slide the retainers off the ends of the standoff.

(Sorry if the drawing lost some of its detail in translation froom DXF to JPG)
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Last edited by BobRCnut; Jul 20, 2004 at 09:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2004, 01:13 AM
Permanently Banned
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
Nifty idea!

Larry
Larry3215 is offline Find More Posts by Larry3215
Old Jul 21, 2004, 06:53 AM
---------Speed!!---------
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
Wow, DXF files for a plastic tab? And you guys say I have too much time on my hands! Looks like there is at least one other person with lots of thinking time on their hands!

Matt..............
Heli Mod Man is offline Find More Posts by Heli Mod Man
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:51 AM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Mod Man
Wow, DXF files for a plastic tab? And you guys say I have too much time on my hands! Looks like there is at least one other person with lots of thinking time on their hands!

Matt..............
Hey, didn't I already admit that?
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut