SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 20, 2014, 07:26 PM
Joined Jun 2014
10 Posts
Build Log
Yet Another Smit Rotterdam build

Hello, Have been lurking here for awhile and finally have my own project underway. It's not my first wooden boat kit I've done but it will be the first one I would like to RC
I ordered the Billings #478 kit in from a local hobby shop and looking at some of the previous builds of this kit it looks like there has been some changes made to the kit. Firstly the keel is made up of only three pieces, The other builds seem to have quite a few more pieces to the keel. The second thing I have noticed is one starts with two plywood pieces on either side of the keel and then continue with the strip planking up the sides of the hull.
I'm hoping to finish the hull before I start on the decks, I'm hoping to make fitting of the running gear easier with out the decks installed.
Here's a few pics of my start. Any comments or suggestions especially on what to use for motors would be greatly appreciated

Bruce

Name: DSCN0567.jpg
Views: 40
Size: 676.1 KB
Description:
Name: DSCN0568.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 566.9 KB
Description:
Name: DSCN0569.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 373.9 KB
Description:
Name: DSCN0570.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 650.5 KB
Description:
Name: DSCN0571.jpg
Size: 384.5 KB
Description:
Name: DSCN0572.jpg
Views: 57
Size: 652.5 KB
Description:
Bruceter123 is offline Find More Posts by Bruceter123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:33 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Feb 2012
337 Posts
Off to a good start! I'll be watching.
needabiggerboat is offline Find More Posts by needabiggerboat
Old Jul 21, 2014, 02:00 PM
Joined Jan 2014
38 Posts
me too

M
mapuc is online now Find More Posts by mapuc
Old Jul 26, 2014, 03:43 PM
Joined Jun 2014
10 Posts
I've been looking into motors for this build and talking with the different motor suppliers I'm getting quite a wide range of suggestions as to what would work best.
I've had suggestions from direct drive all the way up to 11:1 reduction. The kit came with fixed Kort nozzles and 50mm (2") plastic props. I would be looking to go to brass in either 3 or 4 blade
I'm thinking maybe something in the 2.5:1 to 6:1 reduction. Some I've been looking at are MFA in 2.5:1 or 6:1 , Robbe 3.3:1 or the 5:1 as well as Mack Products 2:1-3:1
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Bruce
Last edited by Bruceter123; Jul 26, 2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:01 PM
Joined Jun 2014
10 Posts
In the middle of planking and it's a slow go.
Question on my bow thruster can I use the epoxy glue to fasten it in or something specific. And would it be best to finish the planking and then locate holes for the thruster tubes or should I install the thruster and work the planking around it with some backing around the tubes for the planking to glue to?

Thanks Bruce

Name: DSCN0577.jpg
Size: 371.9 KB
Description:

Name: DSCN0580.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 690.8 KB
Description:

Name: DSCN0586.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 322.2 KB
Description:

Name: DSCN0588.jpg
Views: 36
Size: 401.4 KB
Description:
Old Aug 16, 2014, 09:55 AM
Joined Jun 2014
10 Posts
Thanks Sharky. That sounds good i'll go ahead and fasten the thruster in now and continue with the planking.
I'ts interesting the changes from Billings with this model. Yours is fully planked on the bottom, where as mine has two pieces of the ply wood on each side of the bottom.

Again thanks for the info
Bruce
Old Aug 17, 2014, 01:33 PM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,204 Posts
You'r welcome. il' just check my pictures cant remember if it is.
Sharky1dk is online now Find More Posts by Sharky1dk
Old Aug 17, 2014, 01:38 PM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,204 Posts
Yes it is, it is all planked.
Sharky1dk is online now Find More Posts by Sharky1dk
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:13 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2014
8 Posts
Tug motors

I too am building the Smit R .You may find the attached useful. Have you chosen a propulsion & battery system yet? I am not a nautical type, but a retired electronics tech. Questions I am facing are: 6 or 12 volt battery, or Li-Po 2/3 cell--if 6volt the motor speed may be OK without a gearbox, but I would need a 2nd battery for the receiver. I have always preferred 12V systems as the current draw (amps) is halved which means lighter gauge wiring & less problems with switch contacts etc. I find 12V more flexible with lighting & other peripherals, plus I can feed the receiver from a 6V regulator or BEC. The other thing is brush or the latest "brushless" motors; brushless means using 2 speed controllers. My understanding is that a tug should have plenty of "grunt" but modest top speed, but as the Smit is an ocean going tug, the requirements may differ. I believe Billings recommend a 540 type motor, but there are so many variants of this motor, both brush & brushless; most seem too potent, with very hi stall currents & hi rpm.

I have a "model tugologist" in our club who will help me, but is away for 6 weeks! Any ideas on this subject would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Alan
Alansville is offline Find More Posts by Alansville
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:57 PM
Joined Jun 2014
10 Posts
Hi Allen, I'm fine with doing the wood structure of the Smit but I'm totally new to the RCing part of the project. I need to keep it as simple as I can. I found on Action Electronics web site they have a very good schematic done for one of their customers Smit R. My plan is to follow this design. I have MFA 540 motors with 6:1 reductions. I'll need 12volts for these motors. I also ordered the correct Raboesch model #149 props for the Kort nozzles

Hope to see some pictures of your build

Bruce
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:44 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2014
8 Posts
I too will get some 50mm brass props; how absurd of Billings to supply such flimsy plastic props in such an expensive kit! My kit is the earlier one, as it was under the bench collecting dust for several years. Sounds like your motors are brush ones? I am leaning towards using brushless with a low Kv rating (rpm) so as to avoid a gearbox-quite cheap from Hobby-King. Nothing wrong with brush motors, though; simpler all round plus you only need one ESC , also I guess the gearbox would give that terrific 'grunt' ( ie. torque) that tugs have!

Alan
Old Sep 03, 2014, 08:48 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2014
8 Posts
Prpellers

Yes, I think the Raboesch 50mm 4 x blade prop #149 is the ideal one for the Kortz nozzle. Problem is it's over twice the price of a normal 3 x blade prop . $60.00 each from Float-a-Boat !! Wow ! Alan
Old Sep 04, 2014, 11:02 PM
Joined Jun 2014
10 Posts
Hi Allan, I ordered mine from The Model Dockyard in England and they were $45.53 US dollars each. So converting that to canadian dollars is about $50.00 each. Very good service from the Model Dockyard.

Bruce
Old Sep 06, 2014, 11:09 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2014
8 Posts
Thank's Bruce. I gather you are in Canada, not Australia? Am about to begin planking; my first go at this !! Will use a modified pva glue (exterior grade). Hope this is OK. other suggestions were : epoxy, gorilla glue, polyurethane, plus "Weldbond" which I use a lot for the timber superstructure. Decided to leave the decks off, except the stern deck A, & plank from the bottom to half way up, then fit the running gear: to prevent warping, I diagonally braced the top decks area. Will later remove the bracing. See pic. Alan