HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2014, 05:22 PM
Pasco Tri Cities, Washington, United States
Joined Aug 2004
320 Posts
Discussion
Electric power for an older BOT ARF

Can anyone share what/how you added a motor and prop to a Bird of Time ARF? I have an ARF that I don't fly much, but would like to power it with a motor and get it into the air again. I'm pretty sure the BOT is from Great Planes, but not positive.

Larry
LRFitch is offline Find More Posts by LRFitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2014, 06:24 PM
United States, CA, Santa Margarita
Joined Dec 2007
188 Posts
Bird of Time "E" conversion

I've done it several times. They convert relatively easily. The conversion makes a great sport soarer. I used an E-Flite Power 25/850-on 3S- with a 15-6 folder each time. I removed the nose with a saw-cut implementing 2 deg. down thrust & 0 deg. side thrust. I then epoxied (mixed with milled fiberglass) in a 3/16" plywood firewall. The motor is screwed in from the backside of the firewall, through the canopy. Then a drilled balsa block (could use foam and fiberglass) is glued to the firewall around the motor, and shaped to conform to the spinner used. Be sure to relieve the interior of the block below the motor to allow motor & power wire insertion and removal. The fuselage is oblong in the vertical, allowing for an air scoop under the motor, which also aids the motor wires to slide in as you put the motor in from the front. Hope the simple pictures clarify the conversion.
simmler is online now Find More Posts by simmler
Old Jul 02, 2014, 04:34 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,672 Posts
Same as above, but used a round firewall, 45mm diameter. Possible to use a round shape, the fuselage can forced quite easy to go round in the firewall area, see here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...97&postcount=5

The power was a GliderDrive SK3 3858 840kv turning a 14x8.5 prop, 60A ESC. No issues with wires, the motor is a MVVS style outrunner in a can.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jul 02, 2014, 09:20 AM
Pasco Tri Cities, Washington, United States
Joined Aug 2004
320 Posts
renatoa, and simmler, Thanks for the great ideas. Both will help me alot. Thanks for your time and knowledge.
LRFitch is offline Find More Posts by LRFitch
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:15 AM
United States, CO, Delta
Joined Aug 2011
266 Posts
Larry. Good to see you are still flying.Hope all is well with you.As Alway's Paul
dufek paul is offline Find More Posts by dufek paul
Old Jul 07, 2014, 03:50 PM
BC Canada
Joined Nov 2004
38 Posts
I did the electric motor conversion using a Rimfire 1300.......power was not the problem...straight flight was fine but the BOT would just go into these nasty tip stalls during anything but the longest of turns. Fortunately Ive been able to recover each time but those sudden 20 ft death spirals scared the tar outta me.

Am going to experiment with some anti stall strips on the outer wing tips and maybe add some washout to see if that fixes it.

Other than that its a beautiful looking bird in flight
Robster22 is offline Find More Posts by Robster22
Last edited by Robster22; Jul 07, 2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 04:32 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,008 Posts
I did. And will start a new one again this week...
Here's the build thread of my first (and much missed) BoT: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=bot
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Sep 20, 2014, 02:32 PM
Joined Jun 2010
674 Posts
I ordered a BOT from my LHS last week. This morning I went over to pick it up, but discovered on inspection that UPS had shortened the fuselage so I rejected it. I also noticed that the wing covering was extremely wrinkled. Is this normal? Can it be fixed?

Also, every video I've seen of the BOT shows that the bottom wing has an orange stripe. This one was all white. It will be invisible at altitude. Is this something new or is this model totally screwed up?
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Sep 20, 2014, 02:50 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,672 Posts
Genuine is all white, not even the black strip as on upper side, maybe the owners of what you seen moded their birds for better visibility.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Sep 20, 2014, 04:19 PM
Joined Jun 2010
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Genuine is all white, not even the black strip as on upper side, maybe the owners of what you seen moded their birds for better visibility.
After doing some checking it looks like I imagined it. I will blame this on advancing maturity.
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Sep 20, 2014, 08:38 PM
United States, SC, Liberty
Joined Dec 2013
381 Posts
Anyone else have the tip stall problem?
Brynmr is online now Find More Posts by Brynmr