I am having fun, no doubt, but another 3,000 Rpm would be more fun
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2014, 10:33 AM
Keith Thomas
United States, NM, Portales
Joined Feb 2010
1,088 Posts
I am running the rear exhaust NR and am super happy with them. My tach is broke so I have no idea how many RPM's I'm getting but it has to be a lot.

Most of what I fly are jets so..... fast is where I like to be, and fast is where my DB's are!
keithtsr is online now Find More Posts by keithtsr
Last edited by keithtsr; Jun 04, 2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2014, 04:44 PM
West Coast Director, CPA
Simi Valley, California
Joined Jan 2010
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithtsr View Post
I am running the rear exhaust NR and am super happy with them. My tach is broke so I have no idea how many RPM's I'm getting but it has to be a lot.

Most of what I fly are jets so..... fast is where I like to be, and fast is where my DB's are!
Hi Keith,
Please borrow a tach and give us some solid numbers, they are hard to come by for the NR. Also other parameters, Fuel, prop, etc. Enquiring minds want to know

Thanks!
Robert
Vertigo II is offline Find More Posts by Vertigo II
Old Jun 04, 2014, 05:25 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,850 Posts
Robert,

I did a full review of the engine last year. A summarized version appeared in the April issue of FlyRC.

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Jun 04, 2014, 09:33 PM
Keith Thomas
Joined Feb 2010
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo II View Post
Hi Keith,
Please borrow a tach and give us some solid numbers, they are hard to come by for the NR. Also other parameters, Fuel, prop, etc. Enquiring minds want to know

Thanks!
Robert
I'll try to get a tach in the next week or two. I need to quit being such a cheapskate just break down and another one.

On my plane I'm running a 11 x 7 1/2 Topflite power point. I've tried a couple other props but I keep coming back to them. I run approximately 12 1/2% nitro with a little Castrol oil added to the fuel. The manufacturer recommends 10% but I fly in a little over 4000 foot altitude so I need just a touch more nitro.
Old Jun 05, 2014, 07:42 AM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,042 Posts
I put the pipe on last night. It is a Hatori, but not sure which one. It is not the long pipe, I do know that much. I picked up 1100 RPM with a stock Macs header. I am at 13,100 with a rich needle. The needle is still very broad, so I can probably cut 1/2" off the pipe and pick up a few more revs. I am going to fly first and adjust from there. If I remember correctly, I think I am at 16" from plug to apex/first disc in the pipe. That does not take into account the bend of the header which is quite a bit.
Old Jun 05, 2014, 01:20 PM
Keith Thomas
Joined Feb 2010
1,088 Posts
I'm not sure which pipe you have. If it's shorter than a Mac's pipe then I have no idea what the measurement should be. If you gained 1100 RPM and it's still rich you are getting close for sure. You could probably get more out of it by leaning it out. These engines unload in the air so I try to fly mine just on the rich side. The NR have inflight needle valves so it's easy for me.
I really think your pretty close.
Old Jun 06, 2014, 12:24 AM
West Coast Director, CPA
Simi Valley, California
Joined Jan 2010
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
Robert,

I did a full review of the engine last year. A summarized version appeared in the April issue of FlyRC.

David
David,
Would you please provide a link to your review. I would like to check it out.

Thanks,
Robert
Vertigo II is offline Find More Posts by Vertigo II
Old Jul 30, 2014, 07:28 AM
Keith Thomas
Joined Feb 2010
1,088 Posts
I have a couple of these ready to fly if any one is interested.
Old Aug 01, 2014, 07:08 AM
PhoenixFlyer
South Florida
Joined Dec 2006
192 Posts
C F Tips

Haywood - The CF looks great, good idea !

Crank
PhoenixFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PhoenixFlyer
Old Aug 01, 2014, 10:04 AM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,042 Posts
I ended up taking off the carbon fiber vinyl and replaced it with carbon fiber ultracote. The finish is more like decorative CF, nice and shiny. Also, I think over stretched the vinyl on the wing tips since it started shrinking back in the heat.