SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 29, 2014, 09:52 PM
Joined Dec 2013
106 Posts
About 25oz for a pair of 6" dubro air filled wheels, they're a bit on the heavy side for what you're looking for Kenap... Kavan's are your best bet, I didn't even know they made a 6" version... but for me I needed some weight up front to help balance the plane, so the dubro's work nicely with the Hangar9 Super Cub

John M,
John_M_ is online now Find More Posts by John_M_
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2014, 05:38 PM
United States, NH, Bath
Joined Mar 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M_ View Post
About 25oz for a pair of 6" dubro air filled wheels, they're a bit on the heavy side for what you're looking for Kenap... Kavan's are your best bet, I didn't even know they made a 6" version... but for me I needed some weight up front to help balance the plane, so the dubro's work nicely with the Hangar9 Super Cub

John M,

WOW! Those ARE heavy! Kavan it is!

I'm sure the Dubros are more solid than the Kavans are, but everything's a trade-off. Thank you, John, for taking the time to weigh them. Makes my decision easy.
Kenap is online now Find More Posts by Kenap
Last edited by Kenap; Aug 30, 2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:17 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,626 Posts
The Kavans are lighter, but I don't believe they're lesser quality..I've sold several used sets, and they have metal bushings in the hubs...interchangeable ones, that you choose for your axle size.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Aug 31, 2014, 08:32 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
The Kavans are lighter, but I don't believe they're lesser quality..I've sold several used sets, and they have metal bushings in the hubs...interchangeable ones, that you choose for your axle size.
The Kavans (6") work great on the Carbon Z Cub. They have plastic feel. Although pricey, they are very light which is what I want on any plane unless I need to add ballast to the nose of the plane.

In the USA the only source is SIG which has an antiquated website hosted out of New Zealand (Sig owner preference).

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Aug 31, 2014, 01:30 PM
United States, NH, Bath
Joined Mar 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
The Kavans (6") work great on the Carbon Z Cub. They have plastic feel. Although pricey, they are very light which is what I want on any plane unless I need to add ballast to the nose of the plane.

In the USA the only source is SIG which has an antiquated website hosted out of New Zealand (Sig owner preference).

Bill
Yes, the Kavans w/o ball bearings seem to be more expensive than those with BBs. Can't figure that one out.

At $38.87 per pair and $9.95 shipping, they're not cheap for sure.

I tried to find them elsewhere for less, but as you've already stated, only Sig has them. I tried Ebay and they do have Kavans there……. but no 6 inchers.

After all the time and money put into this aircraft, what's another $49? Eeee!

I am glad to hear they're of good quality, though. I read one issue with them after someone left a pair in a hot car at 110 degrees while attending a fly-in. The lesson here is that one should not do that!
Old Sep 01, 2014, 04:31 PM
United States, NH, Bath
Joined Mar 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
So I now have some 6 in. Kavan wheels on their way.

It seems a lot of people like them and I could find no 6 in. wheel whether they were air filled or foam filled as light as these.

And, they'll actually be slightly lighter than the 4 in. wheels I'm using now. That's hard to believe.

I'm certain they'll make rolling over the rough field I'm using easier. I hope they don't find a tough piece of grass and POP!
Old Sep 01, 2014, 05:10 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,626 Posts
I saw a guy using them on a 9' Cub, in a gravel pit.They are tough as nails, and he was running over chipped gravel, with very sharp edges!

I believe if you filled them with Helium, they would float away....

-can you imagine ?- wheels that carried their own weight ?
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Sep 01, 2014, 11:21 PM
United States, NH, Bath
Joined Mar 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
I saw a guy using them on a 9' Cub, in a gravel pit.They are tough as nails, and he was running over chipped gravel, with very sharp edges!

I believe if you filled them with Helium, they would float away....

-can you imagine ?- wheels that carried their own weight ?
That's reassuring, epoxyearl. I like your helium idea, too. You know….. that might actually work!
Old Sep 05, 2014, 06:13 PM
United States, NH, Bath
Joined Mar 2011
140 Posts
I'm pleased to announce that I installed my new 6" Kavan wheels on my SC this morning. They really are very nice. They look far more in scale with the plane than the 4" wheels I had on it.

It was refreshing to see that they were made in Germany ( not China ). I didn't know that before now. Though I must admit, some pretty good stuff comes out of China these days. Still……….

The real surprise was when I weighed them. For some reason, I thought that my 4" DuBro wheels weighed in at 8 ozs. Come to find out, they weighed 11 ozs. together. The Kavans were, indeed, 7 ozs for the pair as advertised. That's a quarter pound less weight to carry for wheels that are two inches greater in diameter.

Now, how can I complain about that?
Old Sep 05, 2014, 08:52 PM
Joined Dec 2013
106 Posts
Sounds nice Kenap... don't forget to re-balance for the correct CG... and if you can pull some images off the video so we can see what it looks like with the new wheels, would be great.

John M,
John_M_ is online now Find More Posts by John_M_
Old Sep 06, 2014, 03:05 PM
United States, NH, Bath
Joined Mar 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M_ View Post
Sounds nice Kenap... don't forget to re-balance for the correct CG... and if you can pull some images off the video so we can see what it looks like with the new wheels, would be great.

John M,
Thanks for the C/G reminder, John. I've read many instances on various threads on this site where pilots neglected to do just that whether it was changing wheels, skis or floats. Many had unpleasant experiences.

I'll see what I can do to get another snapshot of the SC wearing the Kavans. Might be a while, though, as I don't often have my cameraman available.

On a different note. I am now getting 14 minute flights on this plane doing simple, realistic flying. I know it sounds boring, but I am simply amazed just watching it stay aloft.

I keep asking myself, "How can this plane stay up there on one 6 cell battery?"
It's sort of like the thrill I get watching a 747 take off close-up in person.

I've been doing R/C flying for over 40 years. But never anything this big and heavy.
Old Sep 06, 2014, 03:20 PM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenap View Post
WOW! Those ARE heavy! Kavan it is!

I'm sure the Dubros are more solid than the Kavans are, but everything's a trade-off. Thank you, John, for taking the time to weigh them. Makes my decision easy.
Check this out -

These are the Airtop 180mm (7") balloons weighing in 1.1 lbs each contributing to AUW of 21 lbs. Flew great!

This airframe flies well at that weight.

Now running the DuBro 6" because the hub design more easily accommodates a scale looking Cub trim cap.

Cheers
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
Last edited by marksp; Sep 06, 2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2014, 03:49 PM
United States, NH, Bath
Joined Mar 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksp View Post
Check this out -

These are the Airtop 180mm (7") balloons weighing in 1.1 lbs each contributing to AUW of 21 lbs. Flew great!

This airframe flies well at that weight.

Now running the DuBro 6" because the hub design more easily accommodates a scale looking Cub trim cap.

Cheers
Those are unreal.

With those on my underpowered SC, it might get off the ground if my runway was 300 feet longer.

How long does your SC remain aloft on your two battery packs? That is, if you're still using two packs. At 21 lbs, I'd say you are. That or you've got a puppy on board.
Old Sep 06, 2014, 05:01 PM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,495 Posts
With Tacon Bigfoot 160 (P160 equiv.) on (2) 5S 5,000 mAh with 19x10 prop, timer set at 10 min. BTW, this setup pulls 2643W on fully charged packs.
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
Old Sep 06, 2014, 06:12 PM
United States, NH, Bath
Joined Mar 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksp View Post
With Tacon Bigfoot 160 (P160 equiv.) on (2) 5S 5,000 mAh with 19x10 prop, timer set at 10 min. BTW, this setup pulls 2643W on fully charged packs.
It's no wonder you have no problem getting that SC of yours buzzing about the wild blue.

My setup is about half of that watt-wise.

With my flat bottomed wing, though, she really does fly like a gentle giant. A rather lazy one at best.