HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:08 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Can't help you on your calculations, but I do have a waterproofing suggestion. it's actually pretty common on RC trucks, I've even done it myself and don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. You take the items apart and spray the circuit boards with Plasti-dip and reassemble. Anywhere there's a heat sink, carefully trim the Plasti-dip off the top surface so you still get good heat transfer. All my wire connections are sealed with hot glue. When I clean my truck, I literally just hose it off, electronics and all. Lots of good youtube videos on the subject. This would allow you to get more airflow through the hull without having to be so concerned about a bit of water getting in as well.

Also, check out THIS THREAD. The guy is using a liquid cooled heatsink, maybe something similar can work for you.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:53 PM
United States, TX, Mansfield
Joined Jan 2012
527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff View Post
Can't help you on your calculations, but I do have a waterproofing suggestion. it's actually pretty common on RC trucks, I've even done it myself and don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. You take the items apart and spray the circuit boards with Plasti-dip and reassemble. Anywhere there's a heat sink, carefully trim the Plasti-dip off the top surface so you still get good heat transfer. All my wire connections are sealed with hot glue. When I clean my truck, I literally just hose it off, electronics and all. Lots of good youtube videos on the subject. This would allow you to get more airflow through the hull without having to be so concerned about a bit of water getting in as well.

Also, check out THIS THREAD. The guy is using a liquid cooled heatsink, maybe something similar can work for you.

Thanks. I am aware of the plasti-dip mod that some do to ESCs. And that could work here as well, but I do not want to go that route. I will have a water proof radio box, so no need to coat everything in plastic.

Besides, if I were to plasti-dip something like the DOSD board, for example, it would ruin it. There are MANY small connectors on that board!

I do appreciate the suggestion tho. It IS a great idea, just not the path I am going down...

I have seen Hugo's flying flashlight It's very impressive. Yes, water-cooling is the obvious answer to my heat woes. But it's not as simple to implement as you might think when you have many different small components that need cooling
CTvxl is offline Find More Posts by CTvxl
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Jan 2012
527 Posts
Ok, so I'm in Sears yesterday, and thinking to myself, "Self, you have many precise angles to cut to build the radio box, etc. for your boat. Better get a good miter box and back saw or similar."

Then the thought of doing it all by hand made my blood turn cold

So........

Edit: Got the Bench sanding machine all put together, table leveled, etc. Did a little test sanding with the belt and disc, and it is AWESOME!!!

I've wanted one of these for a long time. They are VERY handy to have around for SO SO SO many things. I'm stoked
Last edited by CTvxl; Mar 18, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Jan 2012
527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff View Post

Hmmmm... I want to thank you for this!!!

Your suggestion actually reminded me to the plasti-dip idea. I did know about it, but had forgotten, and might not have thought of it again had you not reminded me about it

The more I think about it, I realize that although I am not planning to use the plasti-dip on my vTX at least in the beginning, there is no reason why I may not want to try it later.

Also, I CAN use it on other components in many cases to waterproof them, and this gives me flexibility I didn't have before!

I'm already starting to have some ideas for plasti-dip on this project...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:20 AM
Joined Jan 2012
527 Posts
OK guys... For the first really technical challenge, I am going to attempt to build a completely diy active cooling system. The main reasons I have chosen to go diy on this part of it are:

1. I REALLY think my ideas for this particular subject have a shot at working well.
2. If it works as I hope, it will be VERY gratifying to see it in action.
3. It's fun!

This week, I am going to start on the pump...

================================================== =========
First, a little knowledge about RC boats for those who may not have any experience or understanding of how water-cooling typically works on an RC boat:

In MOST cases, a water pick-up tube with an angled flute (opening) rides in the water at the rear of the boat.

As the boat moves forward, the pick-up tube is dragged through the water with the opening of the flute facing forward (toward the bow of the boat)

Water is forced into the pick-up tube by the forward motion of the boat dragging the tube through the water. This (now pressurized) water is then fed to the engine/motor, ESC, or whatever needs cooling via tubes.

After the water that is picked up from the lake flows through the tubes, and does it's job cooling the engine, etc, it is ejected overboard.

This, in essence, turns the ENTIRE LAKE into a BiiiiiiG radiator for your boat

================================================== =========

Very often, the water pick-up is not a separate tube, but is actually built into the rudder. (or, if you need LOTS of water, some people run both, etc.)

The rudder I ordered (still waiting - slow boat from China) DOES have built-in pickup, which is nice and convenient.

I am going to build a system which pulls water from the rudder pick-up, and deposits it into a small reservoir aboard the boat.

Inside the reservoir will be my diy pump. The pump will supply water to my diy cooling system, which I will explain later on (no jumping ahead now!!!)

I want an active (pumped) water cooling system because I want to be able to sit idle (loiter) on the water and still be able to cool my vTX, etc.

If I go for passive only, it would work, but I would not be able to loiter very long, as no water would flow if I'm not moving forward at a reasonable speed...

The Pump:

For the pump, I am going to build a simple Tesla Turbine style water pump.

I want a pump that won't be bothered by the increased positive pressure that will be placed on the system when I drive the boat fast. It also won't be bothered by running dry for short periods of time (hopefully)

The Tesla Turbine will be, I think, the perfect solution.

It works similar to a standard impeller driven submersible pump, only it has NO IMPELLER at all. Instead it uses two or more flat, smooth discs which are spaced strategically so that they interact with the surface tension of the water and sling it out with impressive force. (In my case it's water. It can be adapted to pump almost any fluid)

This energy forces the water out one or more openings in the pump housing, thus creating a pump.

Since the only moving parts are just simple flat discs of metal inside a plastic housing, it will be very forgiving of positive pressure, and should just let the water flow right through it without too much resistance or over-speeding, etc.

In addition, when I first get to the lake for the day, I really won't have to hassle with priming the system with water if I don't want to. I am going to make my discs from aluminum, so running dry shouldn't be a problem for at least relatively short periods of time.

This means I can just fire everything up, drop the boat in the water, and hit the throttle! The water pick-up in the rudder will VERY quickly prime the system.

Once it's primed, I should be able to come to a dead stop, and continue to have water flowing through the system due to the (now primed) pump.

This all works great IN MY HEAD!!! Let's see if I can make it work in real life now. Should be easy, right?

I haven't decided yet how many discs I will use. Probably at least 3, but honestly, if built correctly, I'm sure 2 would be plenty...

I went dumpster-diving today at work in the plastic, glass, alum. recycle bin, and found ABSOLUTELY THE MOST PERFECT body for my pump that I could have imagined
It is a common 1 US GAL milk jug lid combined with a lid from a "Vitaminwater" drink.

The vitaminwater lid (one with the yellowish top) has a thin lip around it's circumference which the milk lid fits PERFECTLY (and I'm not exaggerating here at all) into.

The friction fit alone is likely sufficient, though I will glue it before final installtion just for safety...

Between the two drink container lids, and the contents of a sacrificed CDROM drive, I should have everything I need to build my Tesla Turbine water pump.

Here are some pics. More details to come
Last edited by CTvxl; Mar 20, 2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:54 AM
United States, MD, Baldwin
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
I have an idea. You could seal the vtx in a water balloon (without water in it), hot glue the water balloon so its seeled to the antenna . You could then run this through water, cooling the vtx while keeping it dry.

And secondly, if someone were to use a high dbi yagi antenna and an uhf system while standing on a platform a couple meters high, then they might be able to take a fpv boat across the English channel. As for battery requirements, if you can tell me the power consumption of your boat, I can tell you what size battery you would need.

Some other way to do this would be: put a solar panel to provide power once baterry is gone, bouncing video and control signal along the way, and if you want to cheat, get in a boat and follow it across.

By the way this thought is keeping me occupied while I have to sit and wait for a couple hours.

Cnelan
Cnelan is offline Find More Posts by Cnelan
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:30 AM
United States, MD, Baldwin
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
By the way hows it turning out
Cnelan is offline Find More Posts by Cnelan
Old Dec 05, 2013, 08:54 PM
Joined Jan 2012
527 Posts
Hello my RC friends,

I am sorry to resurrect this old, dead thread, but please let me explain briefly why there have been no updates for such a long time:

My mother lost her battle with AML (Accute Myeloid Leukemia) during this time and passed away in an Oklahoma hospital while my brother and I were at her side. Needless to say, this was quite a blow to me and my family, and my RC/FPV hobby went "on hold" while I dealt with my grief for her passing.

Also, less than 1 yr. later, my father lost his battle with heart disease and passed away as well. It was quite the "double whammy" so to speak...

I was very lucky to have good parents that loved and supported me to the best of their abilities. They were not perfect, and made their mistakes, but they tried their best, and that is all anyone can ask. I've known SO MANY people who did not have this, and I count myself as truly lucky/blessed (so to speak)

I will not speak of this more, as I do not wish to be a "Debbie downer" - I just want everyone to know that I had a very good reason for not finishing, and that it wasn't just a trivial thing...

I was very excited about this project, and was also using it as a distraction or a "break" from the harsh reality of my beloved parents' struggles with their mortality, which we all ultimately lose in the end. However, when they passed, it was a one-two punch to the core of my being that I wasn't sure I could recover from...

With the support of friends and loved ones, I am now at a place where I feel I can continue with my life. I still grieve for them daily, but I also know they would want me to do my best to squeeze every bit of enjoyment from this limited time we all have on this mortal plane. R/C has always been a passion of mine, and I will always be her willing partner

So, in memory and honor of my parents, I will pick up where I left off. Not with this boat project at first, but rest assured that this FPV boat project WILL become a reality at some point! Probably next summer, I will get back on it and see it through, and when I do, I will dedicate it to the memory of my loving parents and all R/C addicts who share my passion...

I have recently started to pick up the pieces of my life, work, and play... I am finding that my trusty RC models (helis, multis, cars, boats, and planes) were just fine with sitting and collecting dust while I dealt with my loss. They are steadfast friends who are ready to entertain and frustrate me just as before with no bias

There is something so therapeutic about having a technical issue or two which you work through and finally find success! I love the technical challenges as well as the "easy times" when everything "just works" in this hobby. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing your hard work pay off and that RC model finally doing the things you intended it to do It is almost equally satisfying when you fail, but understand WHY you failed, and knowing how to overcome on the next try

Since I have been on such a long hiatus, I am going back to the basics... I have a Traxxas Rustler (highly modified) to be an on-road, high-speed, stable platform. I am currently working on making it a good FPV platform... I wish to try my hand at some high speed FPV speed runs on pavement! My Rustler has a theoretical top speed of about 70mph, and I want to see how close I can get to that top speed while driving it FPV! I have dabbled so far, and have hit about 45mph so far while driving it FPV. It's a lot of fun, but quite the challenge! Driving FAST via FPV is quite a rush! it feels like WARP FACTOR 10 Scotty!!!

I WILL come back to this thread at some point, and will post video of me chopping up the waves with this boat. I also have a skywalker about 1/2 built, which I will FPV at some point. For now, though, these Rustler FPV speed runs will be my nexus back into the hobby, then everything else will grow from there...

Peace be to you all. Please be sure to tell your parents/guardians how much they mean to you before it is too late... I am so glad I did... I know that my parents knew how much I loved and respected them... They also know that I had my frustrations with them, but at the end of the day, I loved and respected them... What more can I ask?