HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
It's a couple of years old so it's probably the old version. There is only a small scuff on the corner of the camera. The MQX was undamaged and flew right after so it couldn't have been much of an impact. I pressed on everything inside of the 808 looking for loose connections. It may not have worked before the accident since there was no new video on the SD card. Oh well, new #16 is in the mail.
Raycamaro is offline Find More Posts by Raycamaro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:23 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
My #11 arrived just today. I cannot get my PC to recognize it at all. I cannot get my PC to recognize it as a webcam either. I've taken video and stills and it makes no difference. I have a 2GB micro SD card in it now. The LED's seem to function per the instructions and vids I've watched. Suggestions?

Also I've used the reset button twice.

Edit: I put the micro sd card into another device connected to my PC and the two videos are indeed on the card, I watched them.
So, how do I get my PC to recognize the camera?
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Last edited by BD Murdock; Jul 02, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:59 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
My #11 arrived just today. I cannot get my PC to recognize it at all. I cannot get my PC to recognize it as a webcam either. I've taken video and stills and it makes no difference. I have a 2GB micro SD card in it now. The LED's seem to function per the instructions and vids I've watched. Suggestions?

Also I've used the reset button twice.

Edit: I put the micro sd card into another device connected to my PC and the two videos are indeed on the card, I watched them.
So, how do I get my PC to recognize the camera?
If neither webcam nor mass storage mode work it sounds to me as if there could be a problem with your cable. The problem is that the cable is completely proprietary so you'll need a second cable you know works in order to determine if there's a cable problem or a camera problem or a USB problem. This is one of the reasons I really dislike these mini-USB 8-pin plugs.

I hope you can at least charge your camera, and I take it you are using the correct cable, not just the charging cable! I don't have the new #11, but I believe there are still different cables for charging / recording, and PC communication (webcam and mass-storage).
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
I looked at both cables and they seemed to be the same but I will indeed try the other. I'll let you know and thanks. Odd that nothing about this would be in the instruction sheet
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:08 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
I looked at both cables and they seemed to be the same but I will indeed try the other. I'll let you know and thanks. Odd that nothing about this would be in the instruction sheet
You should have one with thin, flat 2-wire cable, which is the one for chraging and powering the camera from an external power source.

You should also have one with a small round cable, which is the full USB data cable... needed to communicate with the computer.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
You are both correct and thanks very much. I fell victim yet again to my impatience and simply didn't examine each cable closely enough.

All is well and I'm now able to access all data.

I'm impressed with the quality of the video, it's better than I expected.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Tom, got the new 808# 11 with the 120 degree angle of view and the video keeps breaking up into seperate 29-30 mb files? I have 16 seperate 30 mb files. that I have to manually stich together.......is this a firmware glitch or a setting that can be adjusted?
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:01 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Tom, got the new 808# 11 with the 120 degree angle of view and the video keeps breaking up into seperate 29-30 mb files? I have 16 seperate 30 mb files. that I have to manually stich together.......is this a firmware glitch or a setting that can be adjusted?
It's neither, really. IF you go to the FW download page linked in the first few posts, you note the FW decides what the recording time is before it does a stop/save/continue sequence. It's not adjustable with this camera like the #16 can do... you have to load in a different FW to get different clip lengths with the #11. I don't have the new #11, nor any other FW for it other than what is already posted for download.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
thats really odd, the selling info on this camera states that its supposed to record a full 4gb before restarting. this 30mb segments is stupid and shouldnt even be allowed in the camera. Who in Gods name would want a 20 second clip?????? Please see if you can contact your connection and get them to get a FW update asap. Otherwise this was money flushed IMO and the orig. was a better choice. Sorry for the attitude here but for 50.00 I expect more.

By the way, i did check and theres just the one FW for the 808 #11 V2 and it doesnt pertain to extended recording times. Is it a bad idea to use a V1 FW? If not I advise everyone to save your money until a logical fix emerges

Lastly, this cam is saving the files in .AVI format and not MOV.
Last edited by hidaven; Jul 04, 2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Joe

Is your camera cutting your clips at 30MB??

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebigtoe View Post
I've just got a no.11 version 2 camera. I have one of those Emergency chargers that takes an AA battery (didnít come with the camera, I already had it)and I understand if I connect it to the cam Iíll get maybe another 20 minutes if I use something like a 2500mah rechargeable. But although I have 6 different connecting cables none of them are right at the cam end of course! Anyone know where I can get a connector with a 3.5mm jack on one end and a plug for the new small 8 pin #11 v2 socket on the other? Looked on EBay to no avail (though itís hard to know whatís the best search parameter!).
Many thanks
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:03 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,569 Posts
Quote:
thats really odd, the selling info on this camera states that its supposed to record a full 4gb before restarting. this 30mb segments is stupid and shouldnt even be allowed in the camera. Who in Gods name would want a 20 second clip?????? Please see if you can contact your connection and get them to get a FW update asap. Otherwise this was money flushed IMO and the orig. was a better choice. Sorry for the attitude here but for 50.00 I expect more.

By the way, i did check and theres just the one FW for the 808 #11 V2 and it doesnt pertain to extended recording times. Is it a bad idea to use a V1 FW? If not I advise everyone to save your money until a logical fix emerges

Lastly, this cam is saving the files in .AVI format and not MOV.
Well first, I'm not the complaint department for this camera! I only started and try to maintain this thread as a resource for others, so if you have suggestions for the developer, the best way is to make it known to your vendor. They work very closely with the developer. Since I don't have the new camera version, I can't really support the camera or questions like this anymore.

I don't know what the FW clip length or output format should be for the one firmware that is available for the new camera. But you are right about the very brief recording time... I answered your first post while travelling and did not correlate the recording time with the file size. The FW does limit the individual clip length, but I have no idea what it is with the new camera since I don't have the new version. It could be anywhere from 5 min. to 70+ min. There is a 4GB file size limit with the FAT32 file system, but I don't know if the new camera can stop/save/continue recording if it waits until the file size limit is reached (earlier versions could not). Of course, you'd need an external power source and larger capacity memory card for that to be of any advantage, too.

And YES, using version 1 camera firmware in the version 2 camera is definitely a bad idea as I clearly stated in bolded red type in the firmware download page.

FWIW, the #18 is also made by the same developer and is essentially the same main internal circuit components as the #11 except it has implemented the GPU video-out capability. With the #18, some very short recordings similar to what you described have been reported by a few people, and it's been reported that formatting the memory card with 32k allocation blocks has resolved the problem. You may be the first to find and report a similar issue with the #11! Apparently it's only a problem with certain memory cards.

Good luck!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 04, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
hmmmmmm

dont mean to sound off on you Tom......Tried a new card and still the same nonsense. Im sure its a firmware issue, hopfully it will get resolved. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Well first, I'm not the complaint department for this camera! I only started and try to maintain this thread as a resource for others, so if you have suggestions for the developer, the best way is to make it known to your vendor. They work very closely with the developer. Since I don't have the new camera version, I can't really support the camera or questions like this anymore.

I don't know what the FW clip length or output format should be for the one firmware that is available for the new camera. But you are right about the very brief recording time... I answered your first post while travelling and did not correlate the recording time with the file size. The FW does limit the individual clip length, but I have no idea what it is with the new camera since I don't have the new version. It could be anywhere from 5 min. to 70+ min. There is a 4GB file size limit with the FAT32 file system, but I don't know if the new camera can stop/save/continue recording if it waits until the file size limit is reached (earlier versions could not). Of course, you'd need an external power source and larger capacity memory card for that to be of any advantage, too.

And YES, using version 1 camera firmware in the version 2 camera is definitely a bad idea as I clearly stated in bolded red type in the firmware download page.

FWIW, the #18 is also made by the same developer and is essentially the same main internal circuit components as the #11 except it has implemented the GPU video-out capability. With the #18, some very short recordings similar to what you described have been reported by a few people, and it's been reported that formatting the memory card with 32k allocation blocks has resolved the problem. You may be the first to find and report a similar issue with the #11! Apparently it's only a problem with certain memory cards.

Good luck!
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:26 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,569 Posts
Quote:
dont mean to sound off on you Tom......Tried a new card and still the same nonsense. Im sure its a firmware issue, hopfully it will get resolved. Thanks
Did you confirm or try to format your card with 32k allocation block sizes? It would be good to know if this is a problem similar to and fixable with this workaround, like it's sister #18 camera. The FW has not been reported to do this from other #11 V2 users, so I think its either a card problem or something with your camera.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 04, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:14 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,569 Posts
Happy 4th of July (Independence Day for the US crowd).

4th of July Eagle Flight (2 min 9 sec)
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Tom

Installed the one and only firmware for the V2. it seemed to have worked. it actually got better in that when the camera is running and taking video, the yellow LED flashes, I like it better that way to confirm its operation. Files are now limitless up to 4GB. One odd thing, before it was recording in AVI format, now its back to MOV. odd right???

Camera is just as good as the go pro, great winning AOV now. case could have been smaller and the bottons are WAY too easily pushed by accident. design and size goes to the V1. image, WB, wide angle and brightness control, hands down to the V2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Did you confirm or try to format your card with 32k allocation block sizes? It would be good to know if this is a problem similar to and fixable with this workaround, like it's sister #18 camera. The FW has not been reported to do this from other #11 V2 users, so I think its either a card problem or something with your camera.
Last edited by hidaven; Jul 04, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Closed Thread