HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2006, 06:02 AM
Scotland
Joined May 2006
106 Posts
Help!
Multiplex Pico Cub motor/prop choice

I'm thinking of getting a Multiplex Pico Cub (its end of line at my local modelshop). I see it comes with a direct drive speed 400 brushed motor. As I have no spare rc gear at the moment Iíll be buying all new equipment for it. Looking on ebay I see I can buy a brushless motor/speed controller combo like the link below for about the same price as a brushed speed controller.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...5263&rd=1&rd=1

As brushless motors are more efficient than brushed and I want to use lipos to power it I would like to go down this route, also from reading the reviews, the direct drive seems pretty poor. However as I am relatively new to the hobby I have no idea what size of motor I should go for. Iím really looking for long gentle flights, but with the ability to handle a bit of wind and possible carry a small digital camera (I have a Sapac Extra for aeros!)

I would really appreciate any suggestions as to what size of motor/speed controller/prop and battery I should go for. If anyone has any cheap links on ebay this would also be appreciated!

Thanks
Stuart
crazyhaggis is offline Find More Posts by crazyhaggis
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2006, 03:50 PM
Scotland
Joined May 2006
106 Posts
anyone?
Old Dec 08, 2006, 03:56 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,571 Posts
Not knowing everything about brushless motors, this motor seems to be a higher KV motor, spinning a smaller prop. The Mulitplex Cub is almost 20 ozs and the manual sugests a geardrive 400 for slow flight. I would think a lower KV motor, able to put out 15-20ozs of thrust on a 2 cell lipo, swing a 9-10" prop, would be better.
Maybe some else here has got some ideas! Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Dec 08, 2006, 06:07 PM
Scotland
Joined May 2006
106 Posts
Thanks that makes a good starting point.
Old Dec 08, 2006, 10:43 PM
United States, MN, Big Lake
Joined Sep 2003
272 Posts
crazyhaggis:

If you do go with a brushless and Li-Po combo, it will be difficult to keep the Cub from coming out tail heavy. I fly mine with the SP400 through a 3.09:1 gear reduction and 7-cell 1100 Mah Nimh's. It swings a 10x6 GWS HD prop drawing about 10 amps static. You want to have about 100 watts of motor input power to make it a versatile flyer. Although slow gentle flight only takes about 30-40 watts of power.

If you go direct drive brushless you want a 100 watt motor capable of giving about 30-35 mph pitch speed on the prop. Various combinations of 1000 to 1500 KV motors with 2 or 3 cell Li-Po's can get the RPM on a 9x5 or 10x6 prop that will work. I think the Multiplex Cubs that I have seen with Li-Po power have had creative re-location of the battery to keep them from being tail heavy.
Aerospacer is offline Find More Posts by Aerospacer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:03 AM
Scotland
Joined May 2006
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerospacer
crazyhaggis:

If you do go with a brushless and Li-Po combo, it will be difficult to keep the Cub from coming out tail heavy. I fly mine with the SP400 through a 3.09:1 gear reduction and 7-cell 1100 Mah Nimh's. It swings a 10x6 GWS HD prop drawing about 10 amps static. You want to have about 100 watts of motor input power to make it a versatile flyer. Although slow gentle flight only takes about 30-40 watts of power.

If you go direct drive brushless you want a 100 watt motor capable of giving about 30-35 mph pitch speed on the prop. Various combinations of 1000 to 1500 KV motors with 2 or 3 cell Li-Po's can get the RPM on a 9x5 or 10x6 prop that will work. I think the Multiplex Cubs that I have seen with Li-Po power have had creative re-location of the battery to keep them from being tail heavy.
I take it the problem arises from the lipo being far lighter than the nimh pack?
Thanks
Stuart