HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2013, 05:01 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezer1 View Post
Well, it was a beautiful day here in South Jersey yesterday. This is one of Get Real's A tails with a couple of mods. Added a canopy cut down from an old 600 sized heli, and changed up the landing gear a bit.
Also, reduced the P gains by 10% as suggested. You can see how it flies!!
The second link is to a very short video but with the first flips and rolls.
WHAT A FUN LITTLE BEASTIE THIS IS!! A sure cure for the bored of the same old thing routine.
I can tell you all one thing for certain: These PVC scratchbuilts have quite a few members of my club who were heretofore indifferent to multirotor aircraft paying fierce attention when they come out to the field. I already have built two for fellas who just had to get into it!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBUoFA4ozcQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE-bC6_Y2_c

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, We're finding out that we're needing 60C batteries to drive these puppies else the Quanum screams in protest when you punch it!!

Breezer1
Looks good,not sure if i mentioned the setting to remove the aileron coupling during fast yaw movement but it looks like it yaws well and you tuned that,like the hammerhead turns.. ive done them a few times at the field and its funny to see a multirotor and not a plane or heli doing them. I didnt fly the first one enough out at a field to check throttle settings for the tail but it looks like you could drop them down a little from the default 120 on 3 and 4.. Looks like when you pitch forward it over does it a little.. if you punch straight vertical and it pitches forward it could be slightly nose heavy or the default tail throttle setting can be adjusted since the a configuration seems to have better downward thrust efficiency than the standard v configuration. Looks like your wringing it out and having fun with it .
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2013, 05:53 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined Nov 2013
329 Posts
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Looks like real fun to me!!! I want to build one of those V-tails so much...they appear to fly great, and look bad-ass. Plus, with all the alarmist attention on "quads" in the news (Thanks, Amazon) lately, flying something that doesn't appear quite so identical to a quad might keep the natives from becoming restless when they see it zipping around over the soccer fields.

It would appear to me that some folks use "pusher" cofigs for the tail motors, and some mount them upright. I have a little concern over ground clearance for the props in the inverted tail configuration.

Comments from those who have built them??? What did you do what you did, why, and how did it work out for you??

LF
LawyerFrank is offline Find More Posts by LawyerFrank
Old Dec 03, 2013, 07:49 AM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerFrank View Post
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Looks like real fun to me!!! I want to build one of those V-tails so much...they appear to fly great, and look bad-ass. Plus, with all the alarmist attention on "quads" in the news (Thanks, Amazon) lately, flying something that doesn't appear quite so identical to a quad might keep the natives from becoming restless when they see it zipping around over the soccer fields.

It would appear to me that some folks use "pusher" cofigs for the tail motors, and some mount them upright. I have a little concern over ground clearance for the props in the inverted tail configuration.

Comments from those who have built them??? What did you do what you did, why, and how did it work out for you??

LF
Funny you mention inverted motors. Thats the only way I build my quads. Less vibration and I can turn the gains up higher.

For v-tails, I noticed that when the motors face up and are blowing toward each other, it makes no difference static, but when flying, I hear a lot more turbulence.

Additionally, depending on how you build, you get the weight more in line with the FC.

I just built this guy - a double v-tail 10* front 20* rear

Name: WP_20131201_19_53_17_Pro.jpg
Views: 116
Size: 115.4 KB
Description:
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Dec 03, 2013, 08:39 AM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,015 Posts
I save more props with mine upright... you know pilot error and all. ..I like the lower profile look. . So maybe more of preference?
goodhumormarc is offline Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Dec 07, 2013, 09:45 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,037 Posts
Your gonna love this,,,,
Today a decided to fly the mini with no consern for the frame. Just fly it like I stole it. The first time I crashed, it did 3 cartwheels on the ground throwing off the battery and alarm. Broke a prop, but no other damage, fixed the prop and flew again this time crashing after a fast low flip. Also broke another prop, no other damage. The last crash was a spectacular, with the mini bouncing first off my house and then into the side of my shed. Again no damage to the frame but broke two props and crushed in the top of the dome. No damage to the Kk2.
This was the test I was hoping for and proved to me that this frame is indestructible. Wish I had a video of the whole thing.
And there is plenty more of this stuff at the boat shop.
And it only weighs 7.7 oz.
Name: image.jpg
Views: 94
Size: 126.7 KB
Description:

Name: image-ed494568.jpg
Views: 99
Size: 138.5 KB
Description:

Name: image-f74a79eb.jpg
Views: 114
Size: 197.4 KB
Description:
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Old Dec 07, 2013, 10:22 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
Your gonna love this,,,,
Today a decided to fly the mini with no consern for the frame. Just fly it like I stole it. The first time I crashed, it did 3 cartwheels on the ground throwing off the battery and alarm. Broke a prop, but no other damage, fixed the prop and flew again this time crashing after a fast low flip. Also broke another prop, no other damage. The last crash was a spectacular, with the mini bouncing first off my house and then into the side of my shed. Again no damage to the frame but broke two props and crushed in the top of the dome. No damage to the Kk2.
This was the test I was hoping for and proved to me that this frame is indestructible. Wish I had a video of the whole thing.
And there is plenty more of this stuff at the boat shop.
And it only weighs 7.7 oz.
Attachment 6318689

Attachment 6318690

Attachment 6318691
Sounds like how I fly! Is that a sheet of pvc?
Old Dec 08, 2013, 09:45 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhumormarc View Post
Sounds like how I fly! Is that a sheet of pvc?
Ya know, it might just be that. I've been trying to figure out what it is made of, but now that you mentioned PVC, that might be exactly what it is. I knew there was something familiar about it. Wow, now that I know what it is, I can find another source for it. Thanks a bunch.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Old Dec 08, 2013, 08:30 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined Nov 2013
329 Posts
Scratch built PVC multirotor - it begins!

OK...so inspired to the nth degree by all your super designs and RC Basher's flying videos, I decided to step outside my comfort zone of lazily flying a Phantom and Flamewheel 450 and started construction on an acrobatic v-tail quad. One trip to Home Depot and $4.00 later, I had the materials. A couple of cuts later, I had the parts in hand, with a quick mock up I'd like to share.

Have the motors, ESC's and spare Futaba rx. Waiting on my KK2.1 board, which should be here any day now. Tomorrow am I'll boil some water and flatten the areas necessary for the motor mounts, and tilt the tail motor mounts to 30 degrees. I'm stoked!!!

LF
Last edited by LawyerFrank; Dec 08, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 04:41 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2005
255 Posts
Frank,
Looks like you are on your way!!
A couple of points to save you some work.
1. Scrub off the UPC and other markings from the pipe with fine sand paper BEFORE you flatten the motor mounts.
2. Drill the motor mount holes in the rear arms AFTER you set the angles at 30 degrees(otherwise the holes shift)
3.Use a drill press and a block of wood to stand the work on. The rear mounts will need to be spaced up quite high off the drill press table to clear and have the flattened mount area to be drilled square.
4. I use the same 1/8" drill to drill 5 holes (pilot hole for the large center hole) first then I do the center hole last in each arm.
5. Hold your work flat down to the wood block and very firmly!!
6. Feed the drill S L O W L E Y!!!!!! until it is through. If you rush it, the work will rip out of your hand, walk up the bit and likely smack you a good one in the process!!

I like to align my frames visually with the parts assembled and then paint it.
I tried painting each arm and T connector separate but the paint that got where the joints were had to be removed before they would slip in, and all the fooling around messed up the paint and I had to paint it all over again anyway.
Live and learn.

Good luck!

Keep us in the loop!

Breezer1

PVC A tail craziness (1 min 13 sec)
Breezer1 is offline Find More Posts by Breezer1
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Breezer1; Dec 09, 2013 at 04:42 AM. Reason: to add link to video
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:06 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined Nov 2013
329 Posts
Wow! All great suggestions, thanks!!! I will be sure to do just as you say. I managed to get the desired 30 degree bend and flattened areas for the motor mounts without incident. I ended up using a heat gun rather than the boiling water trick. Just more practical for my workshop area.

LF
Old Dec 09, 2013, 06:12 PM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
637 Posts
Double v-tail hexacopter

Bent a motor shaft and frayed a winding. Rather than replacing the motor, I ordered 3 more. Time to test out the overlapping props!
Old Dec 09, 2013, 06:37 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,015 Posts
Wicked!
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:02 PM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
637 Posts
Testing new double V-tail PVC quadcopter (8 min 42 sec)
. Testing it out
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:58 PM
United States, OR, Eagle Creek
Joined Apr 2013
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcame002 View Post
you can tell just by watching the video.. that it fly's really sweet....
old moto head is offline Find More Posts by old moto head
Old Dec 09, 2013, 08:28 PM
Custom Multirotors
Australia, NSW, Shellharbour
Joined Aug 2012
825 Posts
Nice work dcame002, flies nice.
Senator315 is offline Find More Posts by Senator315