HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:14 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
A few things you should know BennyT

1. One thing regarding the use of flaps with the Zephyr. Its not really advised as being a bottom with plane landing with flaps down will tear your control surface hinges when it hits the ground.
2. Spoilerons a good for this bird to slow it down for landing during low wind conditions. When there's a nice head wind it slows down ok without any extra help.
3. Make sure the forward wing mount is glued in tight, and put some tape over it so grass cant catch. Landing too fast will break the mount, so nice and slow and low.
4. Cut back your elevator rates before setup, as full travel can tear the ELEV hinge. You can see it twist at full rate.
5. Some tape on the hinges wont hurt as several people have reported hinge splitting.
6. Dont try and send it vertical unless you have plenty of speed. EDF's run out of thrust pretty fast so you need the speed to gain some altitude just in case you run out of puff and stall it.
7. The wings go terminal at a bit over 80mph, so you cant really roll this aircraft out of a climb and send it into a full throttle dive like you can with gliders like the Dynamic-S.

Overall its a full aircraft that flys well in up to 30kmh breezes. It flys ok in stronger winds but the wings can do some nasty twisting.

Enjoy

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:30 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
918 Posts
Zephyr V-70 - Any Flying Field Noise Issues...

Has anyone run into any noise complaints with the V-70.

An RC Flying Club not too far from my club, has run into noise restriction issues and my club is trying to be proactive in this area...setting up certain guidelines for this coming season.

I have a V-70 that I haven't, as yet flown. So just curious as to anyone running into any club/noise related issues with their V-70.

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:43 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post

An RC Flying Club not too far from my club, has run into noise restriction issues and my club is trying to be proactive in this area...setting up certain guidelines for this coming season.

I have a V-70 that I haven't, as yet flown. So just curious as to anyone running into any club/noise related issues with their V-70.

Thanks,
-mike-
No, but I'm not in an area with any neighbors. If you've got a sensitive neighbor you might. BUT (and I'm shooting from the hip here) -- I find most noise issues are from large IC engines that generate a lower frequency drone -- this is more penetrating into buildings than the high frequency of sound of the V70. I think it would make a difference if you fly in an area not so hot where neighbors windows are typically open in the summer -- vs. very hot or affluent with windows closed and using A.C.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:29 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post

Thanks,
-mike-
If you do have any noise complaints, or are worried about that happening. Its an easy operation to fit a thrust tube that can be fabricated out of X-ray film, plastic or paper cups etc. If your not to aggressive with the tube you can cut the noise in half without losing to much thrust and gain a little speed. There are several sample pics earlier in this thread.

regards

Mick

Link to cup thrust tube- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...4&d=1360233240
Link to X-ray thrust tube and skid mod- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=853

ps- just search "tube" in this thread for info and variations people have used
Last edited by Bravo47; Feb 07, 2013 at 04:45 AM. Reason: add pic
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:52 AM
"We gave them the bird...."
Australia, SA, Athelstone
Joined Jan 2011
1,448 Posts
Thanks for the advice Mike! Was wondering to set it up in the radio as dual ail, flaperons etc so just went with dual ail for now. I will cut down the rate travels and have already checked the forward wing mount out and nice and tight. Was thinking about sticking something on the wing just in front of those bolts though like a skid. Maybe cutting a wooden ruler for a little skid plate there.

When deploying spoilerons you have to add some down ele correct to offset it and keep the plane's attitude the same right?

My mate is gonna fly it for me the first time out and he is qual'd instructor so don't expect it to be too adventurous (but then again !)

BTW - did you guys have any issues with the servo leads sitting in the grooved part of the wing. Mine are a little high/proud and this is where I really need to protect them. Will tape them over but may need a little extra - main prob is where the servo leads bend to come towards the hole in the wing and it goes over the carbon main spar. Can't dig it out as main spar is there and even with them dead flat on their side, the twist from vertical to flat sticks out on the corner.....hope you understand what I mean?

Cheers

Ben

Update **** I have hotglued the excess wire from the ailerons in behind the canopy area and also put a drop on each aileron servo - 2 diagonally opposite corners - will also run some tape over them tomorrow.

I also used the glue gun to put two pieces of wooden ruler underneath like skids - one just behind the wing mount on the leading edge and the other just in front of the wing bolts. These will take the brunt of any bad skids. Also gonna glue a couple of wing tip (about 3/4 out) skids under the wing for the ones that go sideways.

One thing I am struggling with - I have the batt/esc and rx setup, but still off my COG. The plane wants to tip back and I have the esc and batt as far forward as I can. I think it is a bit $h!tty when they recommend a battery to fly with and it doesn't come close to the COG recommendation! Will have to find something weighty to put up front. I reckon that a nice 808 #16 cam would be about right weight but I couldn't get away with spending much more at present! Will have to work that one out tomorrow and already have plans in place for maiden on Sat morning so time is running out!

Time for lights out here and will think about it while I sleep!

B
BennyT is offline Find More Posts by BennyT
Last edited by BennyT; Feb 07, 2013 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Update
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:29 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,616 Posts
Posting to subscribe - My Zephyr arrived last week; will have to sit in the que for the time being due to other projects.

I'm doing my homework (ie, reading from page 1) & now up to 500th post.
Question arose from those first pages -- what became of the idea for a Wiki on this plane? The convo seemed to indicate it was in place & working (& excellent idea!), but the link suggested only provides a 'No such page' entry at Wikipedia. What's up with the project??
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:18 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,448 Posts
I don't have a Zephyr, but I do have a question about the cup thrust tube. Does this mod increase thrust? Is it because of the restriction in the edf exhaust?
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:28 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchie View Post
I don't have a Zephyr, but I do have a question about the cup thrust tube. Does this mod increase thrust? Is it because of the restriction in the edf exhaust?
Link- http://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/EDF/thrust_tube.php
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:40 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyT View Post

Update **** I have hotglued the excess wire from the ailerons in behind the canopy area and also put a drop on each aileron servo - 2 diagonally opposite corners - will also run some tape over them tomorrow.

B
Good thinking, I guess you read about one of this forum members excess cabling being sucked into his EDF destroying the fan

I don't program any ELEV compensation in conjunction with the spoilerons. Theres no need for an aggressive spoileron deflection setup, so you can just add stick input as needed. I dont use them very often as they are not required when there is a nice head wind to slow the landing down. Bleeding speed in calm conditions is another matter so don't stay up too long because if you have to abort the landing due to overshoot you will need enough juice left to power into the turn. Remember you need good air speed for the AILE to function with EDF as you lack any prop wash that offers effective control of the surfaces like normal propeller driven aircraft.

Mick
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:16 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,448 Posts
Thanks Mick - all taken on board. BTW - how much does it take to balance the V70 with a 3300 Batt pack - $1.40!! 7 x 20c pieces taped up and placed up in the nose space, LOL.
Equates to about 77g off the scales I measured with.

Am feeling a bit nervous now about tomorrow's maiden, but my instructor mate has confirmed the date and we are off to the sticks for some nice open space.

My first hurdle was fitting the wing in the boot of the Commodore - plane won't go in fully assembled. Will have to take the wing off and place through the centre console of the car....doh!

Anyway, s'pose there is not stopping whatever will happen now! Camera charged and ready. Transmitters and packs charged too - worst case I will have the Wing Wing and the 450 Pro to fly!

Ben
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:19 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Mick - all taken on board. BTW - how much does it take to balance the V70 with a 3300 Batt pack - $1.40!! 7 x 20c pieces taped up and placed up in the nose space, LOL.

Am feeling a bit nervous now about tomorrow's maiden, but my instructor mate has confirmed the date and we are off to the sticks for some nice open space.

My first hurdle was fitting the wing in the boot of the Commodore - plane won't go in fully assembled. Will have to take the wing off and place through the centre console of the car....doh!

Anyway, s'pose there is not stopping whatever will happen now! Camera charged and ready. Transmitters and packs charged too - worst case I will have the Wing Wing and the 450 Pro to fly!

Ben
Even if you did not have all that lead in the nose it would still fly fine with a 3300. I have 4 pieces of 7gram lead and it flys fine. Just give it full throttle and a firm toss at a slight upward angle and you will be good. If you have a radio with launch mode dial in a little up elevator. I fly 70/30 expo on low rates and 100/30 on high rates. Good luck.
S2000442 is offline Find More Posts by S2000442
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:40 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,665 Posts
Quote:

Ben
It will go great- It's a rush. Just be sure to bring a change of underware.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:51 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,448 Posts
@ Scott, Thanks for the confidence - I am sure it will!

@ S2000442- I have preset the dx8 with three modes for ail/ele and rud with 90/75/60 throws and 25% expo. That way I can do some quick adjustments in flight it way too touchy. I also have set up launch mode with ele.....
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:40 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:

Ben
Mine flies without lead with 3000mah zippy(281g) but you may have noticed in the picture I have a custom skid. I think any where in the 300g range up front does the trick. I would not worry too much about your maiden flight as the aircraft is quite well behaved. Just kill off your speed pryor to contact on landing or you will damage the wing mount.

Mick
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:25 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,448 Posts
Thanks for the link! That's great info...will be applying it to my tech one neptune shortly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie