Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
38 Posts
Discussion
Movies To Build By

Just want to see what your favorite submarine movies are that you might watch as you work on your project. My short list is, Das Boot, Run Silent Run Deep, K-19, Hunt For Red October, U-571.
HeliBeast is offline Find More Posts by HeliBeast
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:59 PM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
music to build by

when i build ships in general i listen to cd's.....most of the time i'm playin....VICTORY AT SEA....keeps me in the building mood......

joe
desron48 is offline Find More Posts by desron48
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:44 PM
Ladysmith Vancouver Island
Joined Feb 2008
577 Posts
.. Down periscope
Reckless is offline Find More Posts by Reckless
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:28 PM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
.. Down periscope
great funny movie....

joe
desron48 is offline Find More Posts by desron48
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Feb 2012
38 Posts
I can't believe I forgot that one. I actually watch it and pause it so I can get detailing ideas for my bluefish.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:21 AM
United States, CO, Loveland
Joined Apr 2009
130 Posts
"Killer Subs in Pearl Harbor" PBS Nova

"Lost Subs, Disaster at Sea" National Geographic

There's always "On the Beach" with Gregory Peck.

The original book, "Das Boot" is great reading. The same author took tons of pictures on submarines, mainly U-96, and, as shown in the movie, was also doing so. He published another book

http://www.amazon.com/U-Boat-War-Lot...0617692&sr=1-2

I just got done returning an earlier, paperback (1979) edition to my library. It is essentially a grainy b&w picture book crammed with text, much of it following the events in the movie- with HIS PHOTOS of the events as they are occurring.

For example, in the movie, when U-96 and "Thompsons boat" meet mid Atlantic in a raging storm...that really happened except for a name change...and there are pics of the other boat as it rolls up and down the waves, nearly crashing into U-96.

There are some pics taken during depth charging: all blurry, and one shot of the captain where the shutter on the camera broke and the frame is off. The chief fixed his camera, making small special tools to do so.

The details of how a dive is done, with details on what the chief and planesman have to do is also given a page or so. This amount of detail is absent in the book "Das Boot".

I have no idea if anything is changed in the newer, hard copy edition, so YMMV.

I'd also recommend "Iron Coffins" by Herbert A Werner, one of the few Captains to survive the war. It's everything from coarse to poetic.
H2Ohaze is offline Find More Posts by H2Ohaze
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:48 AM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,342 Posts
Operation Petticoat.
Cory is online now Find More Posts by Cory
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Feb 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Ohaze View Post
"Killer Subs in Pearl Harbor" PBS Nova

"Lost Subs, Disaster at Sea" National Geographic

There's always "On the Beach" with Gregory Peck.

The original book, "Das Boot" is great reading. The same author took tons of pictures on submarines, mainly U-96, and, as shown in the movie, was also doing so. He published another book

http://www.amazon.com/U-Boat-War-Lot...0617692&sr=1-2

I just got done returning an earlier, paperback (1979) edition to my library. It is essentially a grainy b&w picture book crammed with text, much of it following the events in the movie- with HIS PHOTOS of the events as they are occurring.

For example, in the movie, when U-96 and "Thompsons boat" meet mid Atlantic in a raging storm...that really happened except for a name change...and there are pics of the other boat as it rolls up and down the waves, nearly crashing into U-96.

There are some pics taken during depth charging: all blurry, and one shot of the captain where the shutter on the camera broke and the frame is off. The chief fixed his camera, making small special tools to do so.

The details of how a dive is done, with details on what the chief and planesman have to do is also given a page or so. This amount of detail is absent in the book "Das Boot".

I have no idea if anything is changed in the newer, hard copy edition, so YMMV.

I'd also recommend "Iron Coffins" by Herbert A Werner, one of the few Captains to survive the war. It's everything from coarse to poetic.
Thank you for your post filled with this info. When I start silly threads like this, I always hope for a great reply like yours.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:21 AM
Be afraid!
Milano
Joined Dec 2003
458 Posts
Ice Station Zebra:
Ice Station zebra Overture (1 min 39 sec)
Cuddles is offline Find More Posts by Cuddles