HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:46 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,130 Posts
Since this airframe was initially released, has anyone attempted a dual fuselage Schimitar?

Between mixing dual throttle's to rudder, dual thrust vectoring, and 3 rudders, I would imagine this concept would be quite exciting...
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:51 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Since this airframe was initially released, has anyone attempted a dual fuselage Schimitar?

Between mixing dual throttle's to rudder, dual thrust vectoring, and 3 rudders, I would imagine this concept would be quite exciting...
Oh that gives me a headache
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:17 PM
Joined Aug 2012
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
+1 I have the best luck when I am at manuver speed above stall at touch down.
That's odd, because people are saying the exact opposite for the first 50 pages of the thread. Everyone was saying you need to basically let it set itself down, but now it seems more people are saying you need to fly it to the ground.
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez View Post
That's odd, because people are saying the exact opposite for the first 50 pages of the thread. Everyone was saying you need to basically let it set itself down, but now it seems more people are saying you need to fly it to the ground.
I guess I mis-spoke. I like to get it as slow as I can go before I have no control authority. It seems like its probably a tick or two above stall speed. When you look at it you wonder how it still flys but it does. The nose up a bit and it just is gradually sinking. That is the set up for a good landing in my experience. When you touch down release the back pressure quickly but not too fast to keep it from flaring back into the air. If you land on grass almost none of this matters as the grass acts like brakes.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:14 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post

They did it with a P-51 http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North...2_Twin_Mustang

Sounds like a project
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:55 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,130 Posts
It does not seem difficult to do, just costly.

With longer spars, everything would line up; one would only need to rework the mating tabs where the 2 fuses meet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:49 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
2,934 Posts
FedEX email says delivered... woohoo!!!!Lets see in the last week I've ended up with another Hurricane (2 now total), schimitar and just snagged a PKZ P47 from a friend on a deal I couldn't resist not to mention about $200 worth of misc motors, batteres and parts from another buddy.... ADDICT!

When the wife finds out (and she will we she see the CC bill), I'm dead. My moto of "I rather ask for forgiveness, than for permission", my have just killed me!!!! It's been a fun run!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
FedEX email says delivered... woohoo!!!!Lets see in the last week I've ended up with another Hurricane (2 now total), schimitar and just snagged a PKZ P47 from a friend on a deal I couldn't resist not to mention about $200 worth of misc motors, batteres and parts from another buddy.... ADDICT!

When the wife finds out (and she will we she see the CC bill), I'm dead. My moto of "I rather ask for forgiveness, than for permission", my have just killed me!!!! It's been a fun run!
I think it is "beg" for forgiveness
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:16 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
2,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fentonflyers View Post
i think it is "beg" for forgiveness
lmao...
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:01 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,177 Posts
And so the saga continues. LOL
I now have the nose wheel aligned with the rudders as best I can. Still touchy with 40% expo on rudder, but not as bad. Now I have the differential to program before the maiden. Prop is balanced as per HH video. MAN those main LG are close to each other. Makes for a NO sudden movement ground handing nightmare. I'll get through that part though. It's the landing that has me concerned on the maiden.
Garry K.
garryk is online now Find More Posts by garryk
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:20 AM
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Jun 2012
347 Posts
garry check my vid towards the end you can see me struggling to to bleed of as much speed as possible on these approaches

12 28 2012 schimitar F1 (6 min 1 sec)
bladeguy5 is offline Find More Posts by bladeguy5
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:04 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeguy5 View Post
garry check my vid towards the end you can see me struggling to to bleed of as much speed as possible on these approaches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5pKP-XTgd4
Yeah but you can see in the end when you get it slowed down it works, especially on grass like you have. Just seems to grab it. On pavement.....oh boy....
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:08 AM
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Jun 2012
347 Posts
yup on pavement she just wants to bounce.. i stopped flying at that field due to there grass issues it has lots of bumps that led to me bending my motor shaft so now my only other option is pavement.
bladeguy5 is offline Find More Posts by bladeguy5
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:27 AM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
2,934 Posts
Anyone ever think or try to add a speedbreak to this plane?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:45 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,130 Posts
I did with the StrykerQ; simply mix both rudders to deflect in opposite directions. I never ended up using them, as I tended to elevator land that model.

I forget if it was more effective to have them deploy in, or out...
RCG Plus Member