Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:33 AM
Joined Dec 2010
139 Posts
Discussion
What charger?

HI all

Please forgive the noob questions, i am just starting out in RC planes and need a little guidence if possible.

Ok i am coming from a time of when batteries were either A, AA, AAA, B, C and D, i am not faced with 2200MAH 31SP 20C Blah Blah Blah and so on.

I am needing to buy a charger and am unsure of how all this works, e.g how to chrage for or does the chragers know when its done and so on, the models i am looking at use the above mentioned type or battery.

Do the chargers charge more than one battery at a time as well?

Thanks
glenncol is offline Find More Posts by glenncol
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:14 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,875 Posts
Turnigy Accucell 6 and a AC/DC power supply from Hobby King.com
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:29 AM
Joined Sep 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
Turnigy Accucell 6 and a AC/DC power supply from Hobby King.com
I 2nd this. I have 2 of them and love them.

Tom
TomBates is offline Find More Posts by TomBates
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:20 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,875 Posts
To further my comment be careful ordering the power supply many have poor reviews,the Imax power supply seems to be more reliable also you want to look at what charging plugs you will need as this charger dont come with any useful charge plugs probably because the price is right.You need to order all at once to save on the shipping and will have a wait but it's worth it,mine works like a charm.Peter
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:59 AM
United States, TX, Waco
Joined Sep 2008
78 Posts
I third the accucell 6 I now own three..... Get this from hobby king...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7028
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10360
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6697

I dont know what kind of batteries you are charging but the harness comes with all types of plugs. Also get the charge/balance board it will keep you from wearing out the the balance plugs on the charger. Its cheaper to replace the board than the charger..

Its a great charger for the price..
crzytxn is offline Find More Posts by crzytxn
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:09 AM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenncol View Post
HI all

Please forgive the noob questions, i am just starting out in RC planes and need a little guidence if possible.

Ok i am coming from a time of when batteries were either A, AA, AAA, B, C and D, i am not faced with 2200MAH 31SP 20C Blah Blah Blah and so on.

I am needing to buy a charger and am unsure of how all this works, e.g how to chrage for or does the chragers know when its done and so on, the models i am looking at use the above mentioned type or battery.

Thanks
If all else fails, "Blah Blah Blah and so on". Try the stickies and/or search engine first....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1356436
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:26 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,533 Posts
Quote:
HI all

Thanks
Alkaline batteries are generally referred to by physical size, A, AA, AAA, etc.

Lithium Polymer (LiPo) batteries are referred to by current capacity and number and configuration of individual cells.
Therefore a 3S1P (or just 3S) 2200mah 20C LiPo is:
1. 3 individual cells arranged in a series configuration
2. Has a current capacity of 2200 milliamp hours (mah), meaning it can supply 2200 milliamps for one hour.
3. 20C says it can safely supply 20 times 2200 milliamps or 44 amps although if required to do so it will only last 3 minutes.
4. Blah Blah Blah is not a battery rating and does not apply here.

This page will show how LiPo batteries are connected. You can provide different specifications and it will show the wiring connections.
http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html

LiPo chargers operate on the CC/CV principal. This means that the charger supplies a constant current (CC) to the battery until the battery reaches it's full charge voltage, at which time the charger then supplies that constant voltage (CV), reducing the current until the battery is fully charged. Good chargers also monitor the voltage of each individual cell to insure that no cell is over charged. LiPo cells range in voltage from 3.0 volts (fully discharged) to 4.2 volts (fully charged).

Many chargers will charge more than one type of battery.

Most chargers will only charge a single battery at once.

If you need to charge multiple types of battery check this one:
http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Pro...Cellpro-Multi4

If you only need to charge LiPo batteries this one is good:
http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Pro...lpro-4s-GOLD_2

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:35 PM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
If you need to charge multiple types of batteries at once get more then one Accucel-6. LOL
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER
Old Jan 26, 2011, 05:48 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
Hi Glenncol,
It depends on what sort of batteries you are charging. Chemistry, cell count and size. The inexpensive 50 watt chargers are great for smaller cells (from what I hear) but will be very slow to charge larger packs, and unable to charge packs with higher cell counts.

To figure out which charger, decide what sort of batteries you may have in the next few years. (ie: Don't buy a charger now that won't work well with your second plane.)

For newbies charging Lipo cells, some say buy a charger that can ONLY charge lipos - this prevents some accidents from happening.

Keep reading and clarify where you want to go!

Colin

Quote:
HI all

Thanks
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB