SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2014, 06:14 PM
United States, WA, Mt Vernon
Joined Jun 2014
202 Posts
Discussion
LaStick build.

Hey guys!

~SnApRoLl's lastick looked so lovely I just had to give it a go!

As usual I am terrible about taking pictures during the build, but managed a few over the last couple days of building.

Power will be my new cox .010.

Started cutting the wing ribs, reinforced the rib template with some card I "borrowed" from the back of my 7yearolds notebook. He noticed and scolded me.

Got the body pieces cut, even took note of the grain direction before I cut this time.

Tail surfaces and body formers cut. 1/16 inch ply was cut with a little hacksaw and sanded to shape with a palm sander. Insides of the ply former was smoothed to shape with a sanding drum on my dremel.

Starting on the wing. I put some scrap 1/32 down so the 3 inner ribs would have the proper gap for sheeting.

Wing mostly complete. I'll cut it in half and set the dihedral before cementing the centre rib and dihedral brace in. Also have to add the leading edge reinforcements and then 1/32 sheet reinforcements to the wing spars. I could not find proper trailing edge stock at the lhs, so ill sand the angle on this myself.

All this under the creepy gaze of an alien statue my wife's grandmother got her. Didn't have the heart to tell her it's a weed smoking alien, typically it's hidden under firefighter gear. Old pt 19 and a lil jumping bean.. Both are in rough shape but I'll fix them up when I'm bored next.

Still have not decided on covering material, I'm always a fan of tissue and dope. But this being my first rc, I am leaning towards a stronger iron on covering.

Any suggestions on servos? I keep seeing those cox 6 gram servos on eBay for a decent price.

Thanks for looking!
MiZer1981 is online now Find More Posts by MiZer1981
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2014, 07:42 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,431 Posts
Look forward to your build MiZer!

Shoot for around 5oz for a peppy plane with the TD .010 and tell that herb token alien to share his stanky stick so you can build the plane straight and true
Amp Abuser is offline Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Aug 10, 2014, 09:24 PM
Ops check good
United States, LA, Barksdale AFB
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
I dont know if it would be wise to leave that alien alone with your build... lol
Looking great so far! Ill be following this one!
trnt_west is offline Find More Posts by trnt_west
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:06 AM
Joined Jun 2014
202 Posts
Happily the little alien has kept his hands off the plane!

Almost finished the wing last night, and covered the center 3 ribs with 1/32 sheet. just need to sand it up and finish the trailing edge.

I am stalling on the body, always have a fear of making it bananna shaped!

I'll try and post up some progress pics tonight, I am quite proud of the wing.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 06:15 PM
Team Fearless
United States, MD, Piney Point
Joined Mar 2005
1,746 Posts
Nice build so far! I did the same with the trailing edge as you. I just cut a length of sheet balsa and sanded it to a taper. The thing I did different was, I made the formers and dihedral brace from balsa simply because I didn't have any 1/16" ply on hand except for the firewall which was made from 1/8" lite ply and I used coffee straws for push rod guides courtesy of 7-11.
Also for servos, I am using E-Flite DS75 Digital Sub Micro's from an old Blade SR but Hitec HS-55's or comparable would be a great choice.
And for covering,I covered mine in Ultracote Lite. It was cheaper than Monokote and was really easy to work with and it would probably be cheaper than using tissue and dope. Oh and the Alien dude is cool!

Shawn
~SnApRoLl is offline Find More Posts by ~SnApRoLl
Last edited by ~SnApRoLl; Aug 12, 2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 02:26 AM
Joined Jun 2014
202 Posts
Thanks!

Wing done. Needs a bit more sanding and some filler to fix a couple oops I made.

Started on the fuse. Used a bit of ca to keep it aligned and promptly glued my finger to the ply bulkhead. Left some skin behind and the wife teased me it was going to add weight.

A quick mock up to see the progress. Pleased with it sofar!

The alien is starting to creep me out and I may have to put a bag over its head. It's quite unsetteling to catch glimpses of him out of the corner of my eye.

I'll pick up some ultracote lite at the shop Friday. And hope to get mostly completed this weekend.

Thanks for looking and the suggestions!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 09:00 AM
windsor,ontario,canada
Joined Jun 2001
473 Posts
A nice little brushless motor with a small 2 cell LiPo would be perfect.
adaptabl is offline Find More Posts by adaptabl
Old Aug 13, 2014, 09:45 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,431 Posts
A screeeeeeeeaming TD .010 would be perfect = P
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:06 PM
Joined Jun 2014
202 Posts
I have toyed with the idea of electric, but going through a bit of a phase and wanting to fulfill my childhood dreams. Mainly the little Cox engines I was not able to afford growing up!

Best I had was a little yellow Control line job with a 049 on it. When that crashed I started strapping the engine on free flight models and crashing them.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:38 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,431 Posts
Mizer you may have seen my efforts adding a exhaust throttle to the TD .010 Li Speedy thread. I have 5 of these engines so was ok making one up for a 3ch set up.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:51 PM
Team Fearless
Joined Mar 2005
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp Abuser View Post
A screeeeeeeeaming TD .010 would be perfect = P
Although electrics are cool, there is nothing like the high pitched whine of a COX .010!
BTW, what are you using for control horns on the rudder and elevator?

Shawn
Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:59 PM
Team Fearless
Joined Mar 2005
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiZer1981 View Post
When that crashed I started strapping the engine on free flight models and crashing them.
Back in the day, some of my more adventurous friends and I decided to mount an .049 and a set of rotor blades from a crashed COX heli onto a Frisbee. It seemed like a cool idea at the time but, luckily we were young kids with quick ducking reflexes!!
Not to mention a cool neighbor who let us cut his grass to pay for a new headlight on his truck.

Shawn
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:06 PM
Joined Jun 2014
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp Abuser View Post
Mizer you may have seen my efforts adding a exhaust throttle to the TD .010 Li Speedy thread. I have 5 of these engines so was ok making one up for a 3ch set up.
I was researching throttles for it today actually, I am tempted to add one. Love the Lil Speedy btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~SnApRoLl View Post
Although electrics are cool, there is nothing like the high pitched whine of a COX .010!
BTW, what are you using for control horns on the rudder and elevator?

Shawn
Picked up some 1/2a plastic ones from the LHS. same with some mini hinges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~SnApRoLl View Post
Back in the day, some of my more adventurous friends and I decided to mount an .049 and a set of rotor blades from a crashed COX heli onto a Frisbee. It seemed like a cool idea at the time but, luckily we were young kids with quick ducking reflexes!!

Shawn
I'll post pictures of my "Rocket Cars" at some point. My mom was a saint for letting me indulge my ideas.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:35 PM
Team Fearless
Joined Mar 2005
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiZer1981 View Post
I'll post pictures of my "Rocket Cars" at some point. My mom was a saint for letting me indulge my ideas.
Yeah definitely post some pics. Hopefully, they are nothing like the ones I used to build which was gluing and Duct taping Estes motors to the roof of what ever plastic toy or model cars I had laying around. I had a generic toy plastic General Lee and a Monogram Ford EXP model car that I glued an Estes B size motor too along with the old green water proof fuse. They were cool at the start but they ended up crashing and turning into molten piles of plastic! LOL As Rosco P. Coltrain used to say "It was a horrendous crash!"
Those were the days when kid's played outside, had fun and learned something!

Shawn
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:45 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
967 Posts
Hey Mizer,,
Is this your first rc build or your rc plane in general?
TRuss is offline Find More Posts by TRuss