60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrexcel View Post
Other receivers are also Orange Rxs. They are DSM2
Possible problems:
The module is not in DSM2 mode. It should beep only only once. If in DSMX mode, it will beep twice.
Not holding bind button long enough. Hold button, Turn on radio. Green light flashes, then beep to indicate bind mode. It may take a while.
Transmitter is not ready as switch or throttle error is preventing it communicating with the module. Try turning off the splash screen and all warnings.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:11 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,312 Posts
Module is DSM2 mode. It gives the single beep and the LED is turned off. I tried changing the modes, still no luck.

Held the bind button even as long as 5 mins.

I have all the switches in off position and throttle is set to zero.

I am not sure how to turn off splash screen or warning in Dx6.
mrexcel is offline Find More Posts by mrexcel
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:10 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrexcel View Post

I am not sure how to turn off splash screen or warning in Dx6.
Just go to the Radio Setup screen and scroll down.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:50 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,312 Posts
I don't see that option in Dx 6. But in my Dx 7, there is an option like that.
mrexcel is offline Find More Posts by mrexcel
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:46 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
121 Posts
Orange dsm module and changing ID

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been asked before but I have just got my orage dsm module and put it in my Turnigy 9XR. It all seems to work but in the instructions for the module it says:
Change ID:
If there is another transmitter on site, it can take control of your model without binding. You need to use a small pin to press the Change ID button for a few seconds, then you will hear a beep, this means this module's ID have changed, release the button. Whenever you have changed the ID, you need to rebind all your receivers to his DSM2 2.4GHz Transmitter Module again.

Does that mean my module can have the same id as another orange module or can it have the same id as a spektrum radio?

The english in the manual is really poor but my interpretation is that there could be another module or Spektrum radio with the same id as mine and if so my model might connect to it instead of my radio.

Is that right? What about the other way around - if I turn my radio on can another person's model accidentally connect to my radio?

I don't want to be the cause of somebody else's model crashing or going nuts in the pits.
MikeRobey42 is offline Find More Posts by MikeRobey42
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:10 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,676 Posts
That is the number 2 question of this thread. Number 1 was solved a while ago with the version 2 production. Either nobody can or nobody has yet said whether for sure there is a problem with the ID thing or not. Lots of speculation but no real proof either way.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:05 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
That is the number 2 question of this thread. Number 1 was solved a while ago with the version 2 production. Either nobody can or nobody has yet said whether for sure there is a problem with the ID thing or not. Lots of speculation but no real proof either way.
Thanks for the update Dave but I find that rather disturbing. I would have thought if it was not a problem the hobbyking would be out there telling people not to worry. Its one thing to lose a plane because of something like this but I'd be horrified at shooting down someone else's model. Wasn't that the whole point of having id's to avoid exactly this situation?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:47 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRobey42 View Post
Thanks for the update Dave but I find that rather disturbing. I would have thought if it was not a problem the hobbyking would be out there telling people not to worry. Its one thing to lose a plane because of something like this but I'd be horrified at shooting down someone else's model. Wasn't that the whole point of having id's to avoid exactly this situation?
HK stayed quiet on this for a long time, but eventually they added the text below to the product description:

Module uses a unique Global ID for binding. In case of binding issues with other branded receivers press the "Change ID" button on module to change the Module ID to another unique value reserved for that module (5 ID's assigned to each module).

There are over 4 billion unique ID's assigned to OrangeRx modules

Make of that what you will; to my knowledge nothing has been proven either way as yet....
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Feb 20, 2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:27 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
HK stayed quiet on this for a long time, but eventually they added the text below to the product description:

Module uses a unique Global ID for binding. In case of binding issues with other branded receivers press the "Change ID" button on module to change the Module ID to another unique value reserved for that module (5 ID's assigned to each module).

Make of that what you will; to my knowledge nothing has been proven as yet....
Sounds contradictory doesn't it?

4 billion ID's to chose from and each module gets five of them?
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:39 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,483 Posts
Quote:

Make of that what you will; to my knowledge nothing has been proven as yet....
What the heck. I read this sentence different....
I don't want to know how many ID's are assigned to the long available and well known RX modules.
I just want to know how many unique IDs are assigned to the TX modules.
Can't believe this wasn't intentional.
Even if the TX module is named OrangeRX
-mike-
very suspicious concerning HK's description policy
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:02 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
What the heck. I read this sentence different....
I don't want to know how many ID's are assigned to the long available and well known RX modules.
I just want to know how many unique IDs are assigned to the TX modules.
Can't believe this wasn't intentional.
Even if the TX module is named OrangeRX
-mike-
very suspicious concerning HK's description policy
Yep, you can read that either way I agree. As it stands I suspect these modules are perfectly fine operating in DSM2 mode (because that protocol scans to finds free frequencies on power up it shouldn't theoretically matter if two modules with the same Id were operating together), but I would not feel confident using one of these in DSMX mode or flying alongside one that is whilst I was using DSMX.
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:05 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Make of that what you will; to my knowledge nothing has been proven either way as yet....
I read it that the OrangeRX modules shouldn't clash with each other, but they're not guaranteeing they won't clash with another make. Like Spektrum for example.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:29 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
I read it that the OrangeRX modules shouldn't clash with each other, but they're not guaranteeing they won't clash with another make. Like Spektrum for example.
I agree. That's what they meant.
I'm using this module with a TH9X for my MQX, MCPX and MCPX BL without any issues on my own property, but wouldn't dare to use it on any club field because of the concerns mentioned above.
-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:55 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
121 Posts
So putting together what everyone has said here is what I conclude:
My conclusion is that:
1. the orange modules probably won't interfere with each other.
2. they can potentially have the same id as a spektrum radio (or spektrum airmodule).
3. The model match feature on spektrum radios might protect the plane controlled by the "other" radio. I don't know how spektrum verify the model.
4. In the case of shared id's the model being controlled by the orange module is at risk. If the other plane is already in the air then the you could do the changeid thing but if you are in the air and a spektrum radio with the same id gets turned on then its possibly all over for your model.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:08 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Sounds like a good argument for an outright ban on the use of Orange modules at flying fields.

There really is no good reason to buy one of these.
It is no less expensive than a genuine Spektrum module once you factor in the receiver you get with the latter.
It has no FCC approval, so its not legal to use anyway.
And on top of that, it may or may not shoot someone else down.

Great product. Kudos to the guys at Orange/HK.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie