SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:08 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hp?t=1820026ys, this foam is amazing.

Once again I am here just amazed with this product! This airframe is currently 75% constructed. I have cut through an entire sheet so far with only one blade! How is that even possible?! I was used to depron and a new blade every 2-4 cuts.

At on point I decided to mix in some of my left over depron. This I will never try to do again! That stuff is crap! After getting used to working with MPF depron is just so fragile. It doesn't bend or cut as nicely. MPF seems to slice like butter. I have yet to have a "tear" or less than reasonably clean cut.

It is slightly less stiff, however not nearly enough to worry about.

Check out my build (link at the top). Be nice, its my first build in over a year.
Thanks for the kind words about MPF. I think, this is the first comment about cutting blades staying sharp longer. Frankly I had not noticed that. What do the rest of you think? Is this another advantage for MPF?
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:06 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
Thanks for the kind words about MPF. I think, this is the first comment about cutting blades staying sharp longer. Frankly I had not noticed that. What do the rest of you think? Is this another advantage for MPF?
I experimented using a blunt blade on mpf and depron. The depron tended to tear and it was hard to cut while mpf just glided through like butter and the cut was nice and clean.

Also much easier to sand and I could even use my orbital sander on it whereas depron would just ball up and tear.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:23 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,077 Posts
See, told ya =]
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:03 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,313 Posts
Don i actually did a video a while back that i never posted . In it i took a new blade dulled it on purpose and then tried to cut DT foam 1/2" pink foam , 3 mm cellfoam88 and MPF . MPF was far superior
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:14 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,077 Posts
Yes, my current build is only a proof of concept, therfore I don't care much how it ends up looking. So it is being used as an MPF test bed.

The current blade has cut the entire aircraft, and used for dumb tedious stuff such as cutting epoxy off an old carbon spar, opening and puncturing CA bottles, cutting balsa and thin ply, and as mentioned, the WHOLE plane! It has yet to tear.

I'm lovin this stuff
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:25 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,313 Posts
Only 5 sheets left in my box , i think ive developed a twitch
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:52 AM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,625 Posts
Cure for the twitch

Bad time of year to be low on MPF. But, another box of Model Plane Foam often cures the twitch.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:08 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,064 Posts
Planning to pull the trigger on my first box of MPF here hopefully within a few days. I'm super excited about the build I have planned for it
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:11 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,625 Posts
What do you have planned for it?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:13 PM
Joined May 2012
9,064 Posts
Quote:
What do you have planned for it?
Well since you asked an 89" B-17 (1/14 scale) with retracts, bomb bay for dropping candy 'chutes, and capability to put FPV gear in the nose turret/bombardier position.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:18 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,342 Posts
Woo Hoo! That'll be a good'n for the MPF Web site.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:20 PM
Joined May 2012
9,064 Posts
I actually just got back from my recon trip to Fantasy of Flight (I live 20 minutes from there) to take photos of the B-17s, unfortunately their "assembled" B-17 lives in a very very dark museum type exhibit so photos are difficult. BUT - you get to walk through the plane on the inside and see waist gunner positions, comms, bomb bay, pilot, bombardier seats.... very very very cool. Then across the street in one of their storage hangers is another B-17 which is pretty hashed up, but got some great pictures of it and other bits of it.

It's amazing how little there is to a B-17 wing when you can look inside it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:16 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Well since you asked an 89" B-17 (1/14 scale) with retracts, bomb bay for dropping candy 'chutes, and capability to put FPV gear in the nose turret/bombardier position.
WoW! That is a very ambicious project. Keep us informed of your progress and if you start a build thread, please post a link.

Do you have a target completion date? Seems like it would take me years to complete something like that.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:27 PM
United States, OR, Tigard
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
If you are looking for a way to edge glue two sheets together, I can recommend the method we'd use for balsa sheets, by trimming the long edge of two sheets stacked together with a straight edge, Make one square cut through both sheets against the straight edge. Now flip the top sheet over as though hinging on the cut edge. Next pull the cut edges tight together taping the joint facing you. Now you can hinge open the gap for adhesive, then lay closed again. If you use Gorilla Glue use a small bead, flatten back out then tape the open side of the seam closed. This will yield a strong expansion free joint that requires little if any subsequent attention. With any of the contact like glues such as FoamTac do not tape the open side of the joint once the glue is in, or you may get some foam melting if there is no place for the adhesive to outgas.

Hope this helps,
Ken
Thanks!!!
jhiggy is offline Find More Posts by jhiggy
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:42 PM
Joined May 2012
9,064 Posts
Quote:
WoW! That is a very ambicious project. Keep us informed of your progress and if you start a build thread, please post a link.

Do you have a target completion date? Seems like it would take me years to complete something like that.
No, no solid target completion date, I'm a slow builder due to jobs, kids, health, life....etc etc etc. I do have a family reunion every 2 years in upstate new york on a family owned farm, and I hope to have it ready at least to fly, if not the fpv setup, so I can candy chute for the kids. The next one will be 4th of july week 2014. I'll definitely start a build thread though. I just hope it doesn't take as long as dag's utterly amazing B36 project in the giant scale forum! However, if it's a tenth as nice I'll be more than thrilled.
RCG Plus Member