HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2010, 06:21 PM
Scratch Building Lives
Columbia, SC
Joined Jul 2006
193 Posts
Build Log
Fairchild PT-19 Cornell

I started this plane last October(?), but here are pictures showing my progress. This plane is a composite of three different balsa plans: Pica, Sterling, and Gene Rogers. I used the Pica plans as the basis for the internal foam bracing (cross-sections and framework) of Dollar Tree foamboard. The foamboard also was the wingspar and the four airfoil formers inside the wings.
Take a look.
voyager2lcats is offline Find More Posts by voyager2lcats
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2010, 06:34 PM
Scratch Building Lives
Columbia, SC
Joined Jul 2006
193 Posts
Covering the fuselage.

I used Dow Protection Board III which I bought a 50' fan fold bundle for $37 from Lowe's. I really like this stuff- it will roll with pressure along the grain without cracking unless you fold it too fast. If you get a 1/4" dowel and tape it to the back side of the foam you can use your heat gun on LOW to form a nice leading edge to your blue foam airfoil. Take a look.
Last edited by voyager2lcats; Jun 02, 2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:38 PM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Subscribed
djacob7 is online now Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Jun 02, 2010, 07:23 PM
Scratch Building Lives
Columbia, SC
Joined Jul 2006
193 Posts
Here is some more.

A friend of mine really got me started on scratch building plastic cowls. My first three attempts with various types of plastics were unmitigated experimental disasters! But I remained undeterred (i.e. I am not a quitter). Using a wooden plug I used the Gene Rogers plans as the basis for a pine plug made from two cut sections of 2" x 4" boards and carved/sanded to shape. I shoved this into my son's sandbox and filled it with a plaster of paris mix which set for two hours and I used it to heat form a plastic cowl from an amber colored plastic (#1) 2 liter apple cider bottle. First one was okay, second, well you be the judge.
Old Jun 02, 2010, 08:10 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,348 Posts
Hey 2 Cats Cool Build!
did you put this up on Eriks site?
The cowl turned out good IMO
Thanks for posting the drawings!
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Jun 03, 2010, 01:58 PM
Scratch Building Lives
Columbia, SC
Joined Jul 2006
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan View Post
Hey 2 Cats Cool Build!
did you put this up on Eriks site?
The cowl turned out good IMO
Thanks for posting the drawings!
Mike, thank you very much. I have not posted this build to Erik's site, but you can bet that I will. I also have tiled plans I scanned from the Sterling models "original". I will post them as well. Erik has a great site as I have already told him. Great models too.
Old Jun 03, 2010, 07:44 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,348 Posts
Cool Beans V2C
Ya tiled drawings is even mo bettah
and this build will be perfect to put up on Eriks forum seeing that it is a war bird and one of the first monoplane trainers.
Erik is definately an artist in foam war birds!

Hey Maybe we can talk Erik into hosting a workshop in his new forum for building that P 40
maybe if we poke at him about enough

Anyway Be sure to keep us updated with this build, she is taking shape very nicely.
and i will keep my eyes peeled for the thread at Eriks site too
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Jun 04, 2010, 07:09 PM
Scratch Building Lives
Columbia, SC
Joined Jul 2006
193 Posts
Tiled Sterling Plans

I scanned these from the Sterling PT-19 plans. I hope these come in handy for anyone who wants to try their hand at this model.
Old Jun 06, 2010, 11:54 AM
Scratch Building Lives
Columbia, SC
Joined Jul 2006
193 Posts
I am losing track of what I have posted on this plane, but I am behind on this particular thread, so I have more photos for everyone to enjoy.
Last edited by voyager2lcats; Jun 06, 2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 04:24 PM
Groundlooping is an art!
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
896 Posts
Subscribed.

How do you heat form your cowling...in the oven or with a heat gun?

Cheers,
Terje
SAPSPIT is online now Find More Posts by SAPSPIT
Last edited by SAPSPIT; Jun 12, 2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 05:08 PM
Scratch Building Lives
Columbia, SC
Joined Jul 2006
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPSPIT View Post
Subscibed.

How do you heat form your cowling...in the oven or with a heat gun?

Cheers,
Terje
Hey Terje, I heat form my cowls. In this case I used the top and side views of the plans to make a pine wood plug which I sawed and sanded to shape. Then I made a sand mold (water poured into sandbox followed by pine plug pushed into sand) which I filled with plaster of paris. I recommend amber colored plastic (#1 PETE) 2 liter apple cider bottles. I am glad you like this thread. I saw someone else's thread where they had pictures of "Little Norway", a full scale PT-19 that is now in Norway. Beautiful plane.

Hope you are flying, Bob
Old Jun 12, 2010, 06:21 PM
Groundlooping is an art!
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager2lcats View Post
Hey Terje, I heat form my cowls. In this case I used the top and side views of the plans to make a pine wood plug which I sawed and sanded to shape. Then I made a sand mold (water poured into sandbox followed by pine plug pushed into sand) which I filled with plaster of paris. I recommend amber colored plastic (#1 PETE) 2 liter apple cider bottles. I am glad you like this thread. I saw someone else's thread where they had pictures of "Little Norway", a full scale PT-19 that is now in Norway. Beautiful plane.

Hope you are flying, Bob
Yes, I am flying

You can check out my build log on a Spit: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1235534

...however, do you put everything into the oven so the bottle melts into shape on top of the mould? ( I am familiar with the vacum metod)

The PT-19 named "Spirit of Little Norway" is stationed at Kjeller Airfield, 10 minutes away from where I live
I will follow your build log and see if I should give it a try. Love those light and scale speed flying depron planes.

Keep up the good work !

Cheers,
Terje
Last edited by SAPSPIT; Jun 12, 2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:05 PM
Scratch Building Lives
Columbia, SC
Joined Jul 2006
193 Posts
Heat gun for heat forming cowls and canopies.

Terje,

I use a heat gun (intended for stripping paint) for heating the plastic cowls. Check this thread: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36104for ideas. Here is my post on a thread at WattFlyer with the same link above and some cowl tips: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...5&postcount=16
Amazing! You live close to the "Spirit of Little Norway", that is the first set of pictures I have seen of it in its new paint job. That is beautiful.

Bob
Last edited by voyager2lcats; Jun 13, 2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 03:45 PM
Groundlooping is an art!
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager2lcats View Post
Terje,

I use a heat gun Amazing! You live close to the "Spirit of Little Norway", that is the first set of pictures I have seen of it in its new paint job. That is beautiful.

Bob
Thanks a lot for the tip Will try it out shortly

Terje
Old Jun 15, 2010, 03:49 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,443 Posts
She's looking good. I love the idea of 'borrowing' the sandbox. Glad you have kids and not a cat....
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus