HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2004, 03:25 AM
Joined Dec 2004
12 Posts
New user maybe already wrecked rotor?

Hi, I just got my heli today, and I test flew it a couple of times, with a few minor crashs.. however the outer white ring is nearly broken in 2 in one spot, it was kinked when I unpackaged it, and I put tape on it, but I am afraid it will ruin the balance. I also have no forward back movement atm, but saw the article on trimming the tail rotor.. should I return it? just make do? please advise..

My local Safeway (a grocery store) has these on sale for 35$ atm, along with the stealth bomber from same company for 20$
PDXMike is offline Find More Posts by PDXMike
Last edited by PDXMike; Dec 28, 2004 at 03:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2004, 02:05 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
The ring is tough to fix, you might try to return the BR and get one that is unbroken (check it out before you leave the store). If you want to try and fix it, you might try adding a short splice to bridge the break, something like a short length of toothpick. Wrap thread around each side of the break and soak the thread in C/A (super glue). That will add some weight and might unbalance the rotor. You can attach a similar splice to the opposite side of the rotor to rebalance it if required.

The lack of forward/back movement is probably unrelated and can be improved by trimming the ring off the tail prop.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Dec 28, 2004, 08:24 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,605 Posts
If you can return it locally, it's a slam dunk. I'd return it.

For a repair...I'd break it completely and slide a length of heat shrink tubing on the ring. Then rejoin the ends with CA, slide the heat shrink over the joint, shrink, and then use some thin CA at each end of the heat shrink. It should wick under the tubing and make for a very strong repair.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2004, 09:53 PM
Joined Dec 2004
12 Posts
Thanks a ton guys, I have returned it, got one that isn't tweaked, drained the battery, and am charging it as we speak.. even without tweaking the rear rotor I have some forward and back movement on this one, as well the coptor constantly spins to the right (which thanks to these boards I will have fixed before its charged)

Looking forward to my first real flight, thanks a ton for the outter ring heat shrink tubing thats a great idea.

I think these are first gen models, the throttle rachets, and the body is black with copper wires running externally on the rear shaft.
PDXMike is offline Find More Posts by PDXMike