38 Posts
End of the month I believe
YAT-28E is offline Find More Posts by YAT-28E
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:34 PM
United States, PA, Shippensburg
Joined Feb 2011
226 Posts
That's what Wayne at Aloft Hobbies said.
superjon is offline Find More Posts by superjon
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:42 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordysoar View Post
With SBus we have to change how we think about our radios.

The word "channels" use to refer to which frequency we were using. 2.4 changes that to mean the number of functions capable or used.

But with SBus there is only one "channel" on the RX to plug into.

And that one channel routes all of the information through the model.

With SBus servos get "identities" by program each one.

The elevator servo once programmed is always the elevator servo regardless where it is mounted or where it is plugged in.

Move the elevator stick and that servo moves.

Switches.light controllers, cameras.... Thingys
Are all the same with SBus
Gordy

"channels" has been used to refer to aircraft functions for as long as I've been hearing the word in reference to RC, more than three decades now. 4 channel radio, 8 channel radio... 2.4 hasn't changed this.

"2, 3 or 4 channels"

with the FrSky set, the lower channel output you can get by just plugging into the Rx, SBus will get you the higher channels up to 16. Program your servo or servo hub to tell it what channel to listen for.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 23, 2013, 01:13 AM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
747 Posts
Thanks for the important contribution to this thread :-)

Which channel is your name hiding behind?

Having flown rc sailplanes more places in the world than most anyone ever, and lots of power stuff too. I'm still trying to figure out what the point of your explanation about channels was intended to make?..and why you don't believe enough in your comments to sign your name to your posting?

If you feel you have clarified the Sbus info, not sure anyone actually cares...yet, since this system has not yet arrived...., the point I was trying to make is that there is cool stuff offered on really expensive big brand TX/RX combos and coming on this ridiculously inexpensive TX/RX system. Exciting news for sure.

You clearly didn't read my comments, because I simply pointed out that Channels don't mean the same things they did in the distant or recent past.

If you are saying that no one ever asked this at the flying field, "What channel are you on?" and was asking how many functions his Tx offered, I'm guessing you got that confused.

Channel could have meant Frequencies, or Functions depending on context.

But with Sbus and 2.4 channel might not explain either.

Lets keep this thread about the new FrSky TX system, then after it actually arrives we can discover what Sbus is to us with it.

Gordy
I flew rc sailplanes today you?
Gordysoar is online now Find More Posts by Gordysoar
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Check out my YouTube Channel
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:26 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordysoar View Post
Which channel is your name hiding behind?

Having flown rc sailplanes more places in the world than most anyone ever, and lots of power stuff too. I'm still trying to figure out what the point of your explanation about channels was intended to make?..and why you don't believe enough in your comments to sign your name to your posting?

If you feel you have clarified the Sbus info, not sure anyone actually cares...yet, since this system has not yet arrived...., the point I was trying to make is that there is cool stuff offered on really expensive big brand TX/RX combos and coming on this ridiculously inexpensive TX/RX system. Exciting news for sure.

You clearly didn't read my comments, because I simply pointed out that Channels don't mean the same things they did in the distant or recent past.

If you are saying that no one ever asked this at the flying field, "What channel are you on?" and was asking how many functions his Tx offered, I'm guessing you got that confused.

Channel could have meant Frequencies, or Functions depending on context.

But with Sbus and 2.4 channel might not explain either.

Lets keep this thread about the new FrSky TX system, then after it actually arrives we can discover what Sbus is to us with it.

Gordy
I flew rc sailplanes today you?
Dearest Gordy,

99.99% of people do not sign their post with a name, which must make this whole "internet forum" thing really tough on you

you must find it equally tough in that radio manufacturers have stated the amount of functions sent to the plane as a count of "channels" for quite literally decades... just one example being the ad that I posted. Saying that "channels" only ever referred to the arbitrary number assigned to a frequency is not only preposterous, but completely false. As such, people don't need to be wary about a change in anything... it's all exactly the same as it has been since the dawn of RC. Only change was 7 years ago when people stopped caring about their specific frequency when 2.4 came out (but again, that was also years ago. I would have thought you would have picked up on this being an RCG member since 2002, but whatevs).

But back on topic, the FrSky refers to sending 16 "channels" of information to the receiver exactly like Kraft referred to sending 4 "channels" of information to their receivers back in the late 1960's. The low channels are the same on the FrSky receivers, just plug the servos in. The only thing that has changed is the use of Futaba's SBus protocol to access the higher channels that don't have a servo plug to plug into. For those channels you'll need SBus servos (they can be programmed to listen on a channel), or an SBus hub which you can program the channel assignments to pins which regular servos can plug into.

A big problem, particularly for high powered servos like used in giant scale aerobatic planes, is that SBus is horrific for power distribution... bottlenecking the servo current for multiple servos through one plug (which is generally only good to 3-5amps). It's a little too easy to strain the power supply of SBus plugs.

Respectfully yours,
with love and giggles,

Arron C. Bates

PS: You must be hiding something because you don't sign with your last name and middle initial.
PPS: Yesterday my 120cc Slick got to stretch her legs for a few flights, good fun (I can post pics and video if you want, LMK).
PPPS: Sorry if I haven't signed off this post formally enough.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 23, 2013, 02:03 PM
Joined Feb 2011
226 Posts
Gentlemen,

Lets stay on track with this thread. I kindly ask that the off-topic discussion be started in a seperate thread for the sake of all who are interested in reading more about the new FR Sky transmitter.

Many thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:55 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,239 Posts
After all these years been thinking about converting to 2.4 then someone on the board turned me on to FRsky......I cant say enuff good things about these guys
very professional-good communication-modest prices and fast delivery! what more can ya ask
for! anyway Ive already converted 4 models and waiting to do the rest,........kudos to FRsky and keep up the good work
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:24 PM
Joined Feb 2011
226 Posts
I spoke to Wayne at Aloft today.

He says we are speculating like at least mid May right now for availability.
Old May 05, 2013, 10:46 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Looks like a decent system.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:02 AM
Joined Feb 2011
226 Posts
Well, preorders for the radio went on sale today at 10:00 (eastern time).

However, everything was sold out in less than five minutes! That was fast!!!