HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:32 PM
United States, CA, Simi Valley
Joined Dec 2012
139 Posts
Discussion
My First Crash, All My Fault :(

I was so eager to fly my T-28 today that I ignored my better judgement against flying in the wind. There were moments of 100% calm, then sporadic gusts up to 15mph. I waited for a calm and it lasted several minutes so I decided to takeoff. Of course, as soon as I got in the air, the wind picked up, and it was a life or death attempt to land safely for several minutes. I never made it I came in low and slow into the wind and at about 10' of elevation with a slight breeze east to west, I caught a little gust from the north which cause my left wing to dip, I lost elevation immediately and nosed in pretty hard.

Here's my question... Fix it, or replace the entire fuse? The problem is, I got this plane from the guy who taught me to fly, and this was his first plane. Part of me feels like replacing the fuse would be doing him wrong.

Anybody have a source for a GREY fuselage? And if I go the "fix it" route, would it be wise, considering the access I now have, to insert some CF rods lengthwise into the fuselage up to the nose to strengthen it?
BWEC10 is offline Find More Posts by BWEC10
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:48 PM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2012
2,328 Posts
I like the plane but yeah, ouch. I thought I was going to do that to my first maiden last night....

Looks like a new fuselage is in order, repairing doesnt look like feasable. But maybe Im wrong. I wouldnt think the guy would care if you replaced it.
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-18 v2
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:50 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,026 Posts
to me that looks fixable. carlos had a similar looking crash on the trojan thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867259
i strongly recommend you ask on that thread.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:58 PM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
649 Posts
I'd glue it back together with Welders glue or gorilla.
wayfaringdreamer is online now Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:52 PM
Willmar, Minnesota, United States
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
I'd repair that with some 5 minute epoxy or foam tac or gorilla glue at the field and keep flying
it sure looks like a reasonably clean break... assuming it is, I'd just glue it back together and keep on truckin'
Jim Buzzeo is online now Find More Posts by Jim Buzzeo
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:04 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Air speed is your friend in the wind.
For future gusty landings try coming in a little hotter.
Good luck with the repair!!
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:08 PM
Joined Dec 2012
139 Posts
In addition to the fuse, I also broke the nose gear steering arm.

The problem with glueing it back together, Is I dont want it to look like a plane thats been glued back together, I think thats ugly. Doesnt the white GG dry clear?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:13 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
It dries white and turns yellow with time
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:22 PM
Joined Dec 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Air speed is your friend in the wind.
For future gusty landings try coming in a little hotter.
Good luck with the repair!!
Thanks for that! A lesson I'll never forget
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:23 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,521 Posts
If you spread epoxy around the "inside" edges of the break and maybe put just a very thin film near the outside, you should be able to make the repair plenty strong and virtually invisible. Press/clamp it together hard (might need strings and pencils for tensioning that area) and you'll wind up with a fairly seamless joint.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:12 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,012 Posts
Just get a new steering mechanism. It is available from most hobby shops. It does look completely fixable.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:43 PM
United States, NY, Farmington
Joined Oct 2012
91 Posts
Fix it, fly it, crash it again. Fly it till its not fixable anymore.
jpfmedicsig is offline Find More Posts by jpfmedicsig
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:29 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
definitely fix it. for the steering arm just get a new one. as far as the fuse i would use some foam safe ca glue or 5 minute epoxy.

start looking now for a grey fuse to replace your with tho. it may take a little time to find one.

reason i would repair the one you have now is until you get better at flying this won't be your only crash!!!! it would really suck if you replaced the fuse and then crashed it again.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:39 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,012 Posts
Actually that looks like a pretty easy fix. Gap filling CA will work just fine on that. I have seen planes much worse after a crash and were flying agin the following weekend. That is the beauty of foam.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:59 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,122 Posts
Yep, that's an easy fix, one that you could do in the field if you had the glue.
I'd probably use epoxy but everyone has their favourites when it comes to glue. Gorilla glue is ok but tends to expand out of the joint so looks ugly. With epoxy you should be able to make an almost invisible fix providing you take care not to splodge it everywhere.
If you have a little denatured alcohol / methylated spirits handy you can easily wipe off any epoxy that squeezes out of the joint before it sets.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer