Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:26 AM
3RN13
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Feb 2008
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1 View Post
the product link tells me :
"Not for use in delicate electrical and electronic applications in which corrosion of copper, brass, or other sensitive metals is undesirable."

i am a little concerned

although to put it in perspective, hobbyking told me the motor was "..Tightly hand wound with thick guage copper.." so i expect the internet is full of debatable accuracy when it comes to products

i'm still leaning towards microballoons and epoxy here
Scruffy

RTV has been used in electronics for an long time, but I understand your concern. I just thought you wanted something with a little give to it, RTV fits that description.

Ernie
ernie b is online now Find More Posts by ernie b
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:07 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Ive been using 5 minute epoxy to secure wires. So far it has worked well. If the bearing tube is not clean or scratched up it won't bond well. That has worked satisfactorily, as I have rewound several of the the same frames multiple times experimenting.
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:34 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,521 Posts
The real question is whether or not the RTV will mess up the enamel insulation coating on the copper wire. If it can't get through that, it can't get to copper itself to corrode it.

From what we've found, that damn enamel is the toughest stuff ever to leak out of Satan's toilet.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:01 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,239 Posts
a Tiny! Zip tie works well.. easy too. But it only moves the breakage problem further away from the winds. However there will be soldering room available when that happens.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:16 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,503 Posts
Hi

I just hang each wire out back of motor with small heatshrink around it , no support, at all , makes a rewind , that you will be doing easy , or use that fibre reinforced tape as support , vibration proofing,

use your best judgement and experiment
NX-687 is offline Find More Posts by NX-687
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:32 AM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,565 Posts
late reply :

hot glue seems to fit the bill very adequately
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:41 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1 View Post
late reply :

hot glue seems to fit the bill very adequately
That's a bit like putting a bandage on a dented car fender.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:00 AM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
That's a bit like putting a bandage on a dented car fender.
how so ?

i use it to provide a degree of support at the exit of the wires from the stator

any tension on the lead is absorbed by the rubbery nature of the glue, and the inner windings have a very diminished stress transmitted

doing it before subjecting the motor to normal wear and tear has been very effective thus far in my short period of making it standard procedure

please tell me how pre-emptively wrapping a delicate unbroken item in padding is like belatedly bandaging an already broken car, because i fail to see any similarity
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:08 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,072 Posts
Sorry about that, I thought it was a repair job. Now that I understand the application, it seems like a good idea.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:51 PM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
Sorry about that, I thought it was a repair job. Now that I understand the application, it seems like a good idea.
seems to work quite effectively

would be happier if the nozzle on my glue gun was less of a hose, but i can ad lib with a toothpick for application

try it and see for yourself - if i am going to do a rewind (in my dreams at this point) then it peels off pretty easily
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:23 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
If you put too much on then you can pick it and try again or just cut it down when it cools. I've been using it proactively on my motors. I make sure to get where the wire goes on the first turn and to secure it on exit from the motor.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:16 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,507 Posts
So now when you warm up the motor the hot glue will melt sending little strands of glue all over the place like a cotton candy machine? RTV is your answer.
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:51 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Low temp glue guns melt at 250f and high is 380f. If your motors are getting that hot then you have other problems besides the glue melting.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:05 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,215 Posts
And if you use a decent quality hot glue it can get even better.

I use Arrow Brand #BSS6-4 High Strength & Slow Setting Hot Glue for Woodworking and get much better results than I get from the cheap crap sticks from Wal-Mart. Buying your hot glue at Wal-Mart is almost as dumb as buying from Hobby King!

That hot glue will even let you wrap things like a vstab and hstab as separate parts and then hot glue the hstab in place on the vstab. Just run a bead of that hot glue in the joint like a fillet weld and the two part are joined forever. No way to get them apart without destroying the foam in the process.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes